Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitar of the Month

Bill V

I was hesitant to start this topic, but I figured "Oh, what the hell!” Anyway, I just got the new MF catalog on Friday, and on the cover is Gibson's Guitar of the Month, a Longhorn Double Cut Trans Blue. I dropped it on my kitchen counter, and I swear, it's been beckoning to me all weekend. It looks better and better every time I stop to look at it.

Now, I'm sure it's a wonderful instrument and all that, but at $2249.00 USD retail, and my current skill level, I just can't justify the cost.

However, if Epiphone produced one for say, the $499.00 - $599.00, I would get one in a heartbeat.

Just curious about what others think about it.

Comments?

547359.jpg

I prefer upcoming Nov 08 better - they are close, but November speaks to me.

think i'd like november's slightly more' date=' too. emgs have to go, though.[/quote']

I hadn't seen November's until just now. I have to agree, and yeah, the EMGs don't do 'em any justice. Then again, neither does the gold hardware, so what I'd like to see is an Epi version, sans gold and equipped with a decent pair of pickups.

I was hesitant to start this topic' date=' but I figured "Oh, what the hell!” Anyway, I just got the new MF catalog on Friday, and on the cover is Gibson's Guitar of the Month, a Longhorn Double Cut Trans Blue. I dropped on my kitchen counter, and I swear, it's been beckoning to me all weekend. It looks better and better every time I stop to look at it.

Now, I'm sure it's a wonderful instrument and all that, but at $2249.00 USD retail, and my current skill level, I just can't justify the cost.

However, if Epiphone produced one for say, the $499.00 - $599.00, I would get one in a heartbeat.

Comments?

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/5/9/547359.jpg[/img]

eeewwwww.... emgs

I was hesitant to start this topic' date=' but I figured "Oh, what the hell!” Anyway, I just got the new MF catalog on Friday, and on the cover is Gibson's Guitar of the Month, a Longhorn Double Cut Trans Blue. I dropped it on my kitchen counter, and I swear, it's been beckoning to me all weekend. It looks better and better every time I stop to look at it.

Comments?

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/5/9/547359.jpg[/img]

I'm not certain if I like that double cutaway. This guitar sort of looks like a Gibson ripoff of a Paul Reed Smith (or, more specifically, Carvin) which got its start by ripping off Gibson...

:-s

But, I could see how some would like it. I think as far as making it cooler, get rid of those EMG's, drop in a set of 490/498's, and offer that color with a midnight blue sunburst scheme with a deep blue offsetting that blue maple flame. (Yeah...if anything...this guitar needs more cowbell...and a sunburst (or..moonburst?) scheme would go a long ways towards making it look less like a PRS or Carvin guitar.)

EDIT: Also...black binding....or even a gray....and I think it would look better with nickel hardware vs. the gold. But then again...eh...it would probably look awesome with the white once the hardware was replaced with nickel and black. (or even straight up black like the Iommi Sg would look pretty cool. Granted, this is subjective, but my opinion...I don't like the gold hardware against this color.)

(But yeah.....cowbell.....ala "moonburst" baby!)

I'm not certain if I like that double cutaway. This guitar sort of looks like a Gibson ripoff of a Paul Reed Smith (or' date=' more specifically, Carvin) which got its start by ripping off Gibson...

(But yeah.....cowbell.....ala "moonburst" baby!)[/quote']

Kind of reminds me of a Ric 620 solid body and they do offer a nice shade of blue, add some high-gains. I guess I just associate Gibson/Epiphone with conventional and Ric with classic unconventional. Rics look cooler doing it than Gibson to me.

Archived