Gibson Brands Forums

How thick is your les paul...

stan 58

Epi is all mahogany.

The gibby is mahog and maple' date=' maple is denser, so the epi SHOULD weigh less, body wood alone.

But a THICK poly finish versus a rather thin nitro finish, lower grade metal for bridge and tuners, neck wood difference, it all can shift pretty far in either direction. [/quote']

Mahogany can vary in its density by 10% to 20% according to tables we have discussed in older threads. Heaviness doesn't always translate to better tone. A maple cap does generally create a brighter high end through, all other things being the same.

Unbelievable! I thought it was a Daisy Rock guitar when I first clicked on it. Now if I could just scrape together eight grand, I could buy a guitar that probably no more then ten people in the world are gonna own.

So it seems that the MIK les pauls were a little bit thicker than the MIC ones, an to me thats a plus for the older korean Pauls. They also are more like a USA paul in gerth. I also think the older pauls, before fancy tops, had a lot thicker maple tops.Stan.

Serial makes it Unsung' date='that`s why i`m amazed it`s not a veneer,i know it`s a butt ugly Cheery Burst,but it plays and sounds soooooooooo sweet[/quote']

It's a veneer. Max 1/32" thick, more likely 1/64", so no, it's not 'paper thin'. If you are sanding by hand, it'll take a while to get through it. You might want to get one of those 5" orbital palm sanders; these'll cut through the veneers (the back is veneered too) pretty danged quick. FYI the older Samick LPs sometimes had a three-ply plywood layer on the tops, about 1/8" thick.

I'll measure when I get a chance. for reference' date=' my Epi custom weighs 10 pounds, My Gibson LP Studio weighs 9. It must be the extra air cells in the Gibby mahogany... It couldn't be that the Epi is thicker.[/quote']

What year is your gibson?

Gibson used to drill out holes, 9 I think, in their les pauls that they claim didn't affect tone, just weight. If it's a recent LP, then they are chamber. They say it affects tone positively and increases sustain, but no one really believes that.

Yeah' date=' it makes my elitist studios even that much weirder since they are 2" thick AND have the maple cap. So that really makes them a stripped-down Standard and not really a Studio at all.[/quote']

Studios are supposed to have a maple cap; the Gibson ones do.

Spud, I'd always been a little confused about that. My brother's Epi Studio is all mahogany and is 1 3/4" thk. I figured the extra 1/4" was for the maple cap. So what you're saying is that they just use 1/4" less mahagony on the Gibby studios, right? My Chinese Standard is 1 7/8".

Archived