Gibson Brands Forums

How thick is your les paul...

stan 58

I'll measure when I get a chance. for reference, my Epi custom weighs 10 pounds, My Gibson LP Studio weighs 9. It must be the extra air cells in the Gibby mahogany... It couldn't be that the Epi is thicker.

I'll measure when I get a chance. for reference' date=' my Epi custom weighs 10 pounds, My Gibson LP Studio weighs 9. It must be the extra air cells in the Gibby mahogany... It couldn't be that the Epi is thicker.[/quote']

Epi is all mahogany.

The gibby is mahog and maple, maple is denser, so the epi SHOULD weigh less, body wood alone.

But a THICK poly finish versus a rather thin nitro finish, lower grade metal for bridge and tuners, neck wood difference, it all can shift pretty far in either direction.

Epi Les Pauls are typically 1 7/8" thick these days (at the edge). Studios are 1 3/4". Elitists are still 2" though.

Exact for my Epi Ultra.... and while I was checking...my Telecaster is a solid 1 3/4"...

Epi is all mahogany.

The gibby is mahog and maple' date=' maple is denser, so the epi SHOULD weigh less, body wood alone.

[/quote']

Sorry, that's flawed logic. Even if this were true, there is too much weightvariety in either woods to make such a generalising claim. As it is, Epi Les Pauls are far from "all mahogany", but are composed of mahogany, alder and a assortment of undefined tonewoods.

My Elitist Lester is 2.03 Inches.The Ugly HCS Standard is bang on 2 Inches.The Elitist weighs 10.9 Pounds,the Epi Standard is 9 pounds.And as Iansmitchell correctly states,the Epi Standard and Elitist Bodies are Mahogany,i can say that for sure because i`ve stripped 2 Standards of their poly over the last 3 days.

And as Iansmitchell correctly states' date='the Epi Standard and Elitist Bodies are Mahogany[/quote']

He didn't state model, he just said "all Epi LPs"...

But regardless of what the website or the brochure says, I have a hard time believing the wood of my Standard is all mahogany. It's just too light with 3.45 Kg(My weight relieved and chambered Gibson LP is 3.70Kg) You wouldn't even hit those numbers with light-weight Honduran mahogany...

I'd really be interested in seeing the Epis without the poly. Do you have any pics?

I will have by Monday hopefully,night off tonight,to let the skin grow back on my fingers after all the sanding.Another thing i have found out,the body on this Standard,no way it`s a "paper thin" veneer,i`ve sanded the hell out of it,the figure of the Maple remains.

Edit, a lot of this "Mahogony" is in fact "Meranti",AKA fast grow (relatively) Mahogany

I will have by Monday hopefully' date='night off tonight,to let the skin grow back on my fingers after all the sanding.Another thing i have found out,the body on this Standard,no way it`s a "paper thin" veneer,i`ve sanded the hell out of it,the figure of the Maple remains.[/quote']

Holy Hell... you're kidding!? What factory was it?

@David,Oh you have to be at least a foot thick,god that`s awful !

@Ricochet,Serial makes it Unsung,that`s why i`m amazed it`s not a veneer,i know it`s a butt ugly Cheery Burst,but it plays and sounds soooooooooo sweet

Archived