Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone see this yet?

FloyDZeD

I don't know that they've "jacked up the price." It looks like the online stores are discounting the older Standards, and the 2008 is filling in the $2300 spot. According to the product page at MF, the old Standards were $2600.

It is a $100 raise in the list price, though.

The 50s and 60s necks are only $1999, now, though.

I like everything about it aside from the weight relief holes. Other than that I would love one as you can never have too many Les Pauls.

They've been doing chambered bodies on LP's for a couple years now, yes? I might be mistaken, though...

I've not played one, and the weight relief is a great idea, but I wonder if the tone is different. I guess I'd have to A/B one to see. I've got 2 LP's, and I love them to death, but standing there with one strapped on for a couple hours sure wears me out!

I like all the new appointments, though!

I have a Gibson (1980) LP Custom, (1976) LP Deluxe...both quite solid and heavy, and a more recent LP "Classic,"

with the chambered body. Even given the "hotter" pickups, in the "Classic" the tone is not "lost!" It has plenty of

tone and sustain. And, no matter what Gibson does, someone will complain, or decide it was "better" the other way.

LOL! I seriously doubt, they would "chamber" bodies, without doing extensive testing, to find out exactly what that

would do, to the tonal characteristics. I mean, WHY risk a winning formula, unless it would improve or at least not

hurt the tone, and still relieve the weight? Just my 2-cents worth. Argue away...;>)

CB

I seriously doubt' date=' they would "chamber" bodies, without doing extensive testing, to find out exactly what that would do, to the tonal characteristics. I mean, WHY risk a winning formula, unless it would improve or at least not hurt the tone, and still relieve the weight?[/quote']

My thoughts too. I've played a couple of the Classics w/ chambered bodies in my local GC and while I'm not a huge fan of the stock pickups, it did sound pretty good, considering I was in a GC...

They've been doing chambered bodies on LP's for a couple years now' date=' yes? I might be mistaken, though...

[/quote']

Yes, IIRC they've done the chamberthing since the '80s. Interesting to know it evolved from simple weight relief to a tone chamber. Now Gibson distinquishes between chambering or weight relieving and a Gibson can have none, one, the other or both.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/2008-standard/

The new Gibson Les Paul Standard. Personally' date=' I don't see the point of all these upgrades. All they do is jack the price up. And now they're weight-relieving the Standards? Tsk tsk.

I think I'll buy an Elitist instead.

EDIT: They aren't more expensive? Huh.[/quote']

They've been weight relieved for years now.

I don't know that they've "jacked up the price." It looks like the online stores are discounting the older Standards' date=' and the 2008 is filling in the $2300 spot. According to the product page at MF, the old Standards were $2600.

It is a $100 raise in the list price, though.

The 50s and 60s necks are only $1999, now, though.[/quote']

They're probably more expensive because of the fall of the American dollar. Materials are more expensive to buy. That translates into higher prices.

They're probably more expensive because of the fall of the American dollar. Materials are more expensive to buy. That translates into higher prices.

Think about guitars that are made in other countries though. It will ultimatelly cost less for American-made products.

Now that I have come into some serious money from working full time during the summer, I was contemplating getting a Gibson, but it looks like I won't be getting a 2008 Standard. They should have kept the vintage green key tuners. (Sounds picky, but if I'm spending 2300 on a guitar, shouldn't it be perfect?). Now going back to my thoughts on either an Epi LP Standard or an Elitist 57 Goldtop.

Now that I have come into some serious money from working full time during the summer' date=' I was contemplating getting a Gibson, but it looks like I won't be getting a 2008 Standard. They should have kept the vintage green key tuners. (Sounds picky, but if I'm spending 2300 on a guitar, shouldn't it be perfect?). Now going back to my thoughts on either an Epi LP Standard or an Elitist 57 Goldtop.[/quote']

What about a gibson studio and an epi studio to compare and mod?

Compared to a standard in price, you'd have quite a bit of room to do upgrades.

All new hardware, electronics, bigsby on both, see how they go in an A/B.

What about a gibson studio and an epi studio to compare and mod?

Compared to a standard in price' date=' you'd have quite a bit of room to do upgrades.

All new hardware, electronics, bigsby on both, see how they go in an A/B.[/quote']

Or he could get an SG, they rock IMO...

I think I'll buy an Elitist instead. EDIT: They aren't more expensive? Huh.

More guitar (i.e. still weigh a ton just like the old days Gibbys) -- less money ($1' date='500). Why NOT?

Just an observation but I think I must be the last person standing who likes the weight of a genuine Les Paul.

[b']It feels like QUALITY, like CRAFTSMANSHIP, like ROCK-n-roll.[/b] Choose it -- love it -- for what it is or buy something else already.

I for one am tired of lightweight guitars that feel like cheap kids toys or plastic junk. I play my LP 3+ hours a day (6 on a great day) and yes sometimes my shoulder aches a little, so what? I'll sit down and play tomorrow if need be, but I'll be playing, in tune, and with all the tone, sustain, and 'feel' that this KING-of-Rock-Guitars is famous for.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play my LP on:-"

I have a Gibson (1980) LP Custom' date=' (1976) LP Deluxe...both quite solid and heavy, and a more recent LP "Classic,"

with the chambered body. Even given the "hotter" pickups, in the "Classic" the tone is not "lost!" It has plenty of

tone and sustain. And, no matter what Gibson does, someone will complain, or decide it was "better" the other way.

LOL! I seriously doubt, they would "chamber" bodies, without doing extensive testing, to find out exactly what that

would do, to the tonal characteristics. I mean, WHY risk a winning formula, unless it would improve or at least not

hurt the tone, and still relieve the weight? Just my 2-cents worth. Argue away...;>)

CB[/quote']

i agree, i have just got a 2008 gibson l/p standard and the tone is so much better than my epi l/p custom, and thats with upgraded pickups (Alnico 2) on the epi, there is still more sustain on the gibson, iv never played an older gibson but i agree that they will be well tested to make sure they are still good, theres not a lot of difference in the weight but my epi l'p custom does weigh a bit more than my gibson

Archived