Gibson Brands Forums

Reverse Explorer ?

bluesstringer

Its definitely not good looking, but collectors will gobble it up........

Kind of like the reverse V, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

I'll wait and get a sweet ebony Sheraton, for about 1/4 the price of either reverse guitars,

and NOT have to put a bag over its headstock to play it<wink wink>

You all see the Gibson Reverse Explorer yet ?' date=' Gibson's guitar of the month, LE of 1000, a little over 3 grand. While it is kinda cool in it's own right I guess, that has to be the ugliest headstock I have ever seen!

What do you think?[/quote']

I don't like the non-reverse Explorer. Again, it's like Don King's hair.

I don't like the non-reverse Explorer. Again' date=' it's like Don King's hair.[/quote']

I'm not thrilled about them either, unless when it was played by the late Allen Collins. I would never want one but i thing they look alot better than these reverses.

As much as I personally love Reverse Firebirds, Vs particularly, I never liked non-reverses. I have always thought they were one of the ugliest guitars ever made, but Gatemouth Brown made them sound pretty sweet at times. Again, wouldn't own one tho.......

I'm not thrilled about them either' date=' unless when it was played by the late Allen Collins. I would never want one but i thing they look alot better than these reverses.

As much as I personally love Reverse Firebirds, Vs particularly, I never liked non-reverses. I have always thought they were one of the ugliest guitars ever made, but Gatemouth Brown made them sound pretty sweet at times. Again, wouldn't own one tho.......[/quote']

You remember Gatemouth. I saw him at my first NO Jazz Festival (1976), and the crowds back then were small enough that I was 20 feet from him. When I went 4 years ago, the performers were more like 100 yards away.

Yeah Jeff, he came to the Md. all weekend blues festival almost every year. I got to sit in on one of his workshops the first year - there were four of us and one cat didn't even have a guitar ! He usally did a couple of sets with his blues band on Saturday and and a couple of sets with his Zydeco band on Sunday. Good Stuff indeed !!!

Yep, they're definitely getting a little punchy over at Gibson R&D. But heck, sometimes they hit the bullseye all the same; they couldn't build those reverse Flying A's fast enough. You never know.

Still, it must be disheartening to live with all the failures... does anyone remember the Vixen, Goddess, GT and Tribal series?

Gibson is stuck behind their own success... as long as they keep churning out the tried and true models, they'll do fine. Small variations on these historic themes will work also, as witness the success of the ES-339. But when they start going 'way out there'... you have to ask why you'd want to pay Gibson prices for a goofy guitar that the competition can do better for a lot less money.

Played in a band once with a guy who had an Explorer. One of the most uncomfortable guitars I ever held in my hands.

Yeah, when Gibson R&D is coming up with gems like the reverse Explorer & reverse Flying V, they're undoubtedly discarding 'idiotic' ideas like an LP Studio with a slim/taper neck or an SG with a neck-through design- ideas that are apparently way too stupid to consider when compared to the brilliance of the Keifer Sutherland Signature 336 (give that guy a bonus!).#-o

You all see the Gibson Reverse Explorer yet ?' date=' Gibson's guitar of the month, LE of 1000, a little over 3 grand. While it is kinda cool in it's own right I guess, that has to be the ugliest headstock I have ever seen!

What do you think?[/quote']

John, nice to see you participating on the forum again. I know you've been quite busy with work and your church

project, Godsong. Yeh, I got the ad on my computer the other day from Gibson about the Reverse Explorer. As

one of the guys mentioned, Gibsons R & D guys must be running out of ideas](*,) . The Flying V, Explorer, and Firedbird were Gibson's idea of futuristic guitars back in the early 60's. They looked strange then and they still do whether straight or reversed. I tried playing on those guitars and they always felt cumbersome to me. In fact even though I love my Epi Les Paul Standard, even that feels strange to me after playing on my Sheraton II for a couple of years before I got the LP. I guess since I played acoustic guitar for quite a few years the feel of the body of my Sheri,

whether sitting or standing, feels more comfortable than most other electrice guitar shapes.

I also got an ad recently about Gibson's updated 2008 LP Standard. It said that it was chambered (I guess much

like the Epi Ultra LP). I didn't notice any real outside changes from the what I saw. The MSRP was $3,998.00.

I paid 1/10th of that for my Epiphone LP Standard. Granted it's not exactly the same, but I'm happy with it and

it didn't burn a hole in my pocket.#-o

Hey, so you actually got to sit in a workshop with a real Bluesman, Gatemouth Brown. It must have been awesome

just to be there, let alone whatever you could pick up on playing from him.

Archived