Gibson Brands Forums

New, FREE, holiday gift to you from "Notes" Norton

Notes_Norton

Hi y'all,

I just posted a free, full length, mp3 backing track for you to download.

It's a slightly lower bit rate and mono version of a sequence I use in The Sophisticats (lower bit rate and mono to keep the file size smaller for downloading on slow connections). We use a 192k stereo version to play Sweet Home Chicago

You can use the mp3 for practice, jamming, or whatever (with your Epiphone guitar of course). Although the copyright on this arrangement is automatically granted to me, I am hereby granting you permission to use it any way you like.

To download the mp3 file go to: http://www.nortonmusic.com/freemp3.html Note: I don't know how much traffic my Web Host's server can handle, so if you are having trouble downloading it, try again at a later time.

Comments on the mp3 are appreciated.

Happy holidays.

Thanks Notes ! I can use the mp3, but I'm afraid I'll need an xmas gift from the folks at PG too. I can't seem to open the BIAB file from the antiquated mac version (that they refuse to update). Oh BTW, I was going through some old 800K floppies, and found you're style disks (1 & 2 I think) that I bought many many years ago, glad to see you're still at it, great stuff. [-X

Thanks

- Jay

EDIT: I just changed the file extension back to MGU (was dms ?) now BIAB opens, but unfortunately I don't have the style (yet). Hopefully if the boys at PG get their arse in gear on the mac version, and then I'll be buying some new styles. :)

Notes, you're a music scholar and a gentlemen.

Your sharing approach is typical of the type of musicianship that we should all try harder to emulate. =D>

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

BTW -- you often mention your partner Leliana and her guitar skills -- does she post on the forum? She might be the only female pro member if so and her points of view would certainly be welcome.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Pretty cool Notes.....with the drum lead in everybody can pratice their "Matt Murphy" Blues Brothers intro lick! I also like how you played around with the bass line a little later in the track...that would be just about the time a real bass player would get bored and do the same thing!LOL : )

Thank you all for your kind comments.

CB: it's cold here too. It got down to 62 last night and is only getting to 78 in the daytime.

(I know that's probably mean - but I'm only teasing - I did spend a year in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so I know what you are going through).

Jay: I don't know what's going on with PG Music and the upgrades to Mac. I think the best thing for Mac users who want to use BiaB is to get Boot Camp and run it on Windows XP. BTW, if you ever get Windows, I'll replace the Mac styles with the Windows ones for free. The way I figure it, you bought the styles, not the disks or the computer format.

Steven: Leilani doesn't visit forums. She is a decent guitar player, plays the Buchla Thunder Tactile MIDI controller very well, and sings fantastically. She is also an artist, dancer and does yoga (and is a substitute yoga instructor) so she spends much less time on-line than I do. Since I run an on-line business, Norton Music, I need to be on-line every day. I probably spend too much time on these forums, but I learn a lot here, so I suppose it is time well spent.

layboomo: In The Sophisticats I start most fast songs with the 2 measures of drums. If the dance floor is fill, it gives them something to dance to as I go from song to song seamlessly, and it gives me 2 measures to switch instruments if I need to. It works much better than that click, click of the drumstick thing.

I worked up Sweet Home Chicago because a regular customer at a place where we play every other month requested it. I am singing and playing guitar fills and lead on it, and having a great time following the tradition of T-Bone Walker and all those singing electric guitarists who followed. I posted this one because (1) there are no copyright restrictions on 12 bar blues and (2) blues are the lingua franca of rock/jazz/country musicians.

On stage, Leilani adds some rhythm guitar and sings some "response" vocals to my leads (she is a much better singer than I, but we split the songs pretty evenly - I get the ones that suit my vocal abilities, and she gets all the difficult songs)

Sometimes I surprise myself on how good the leads come out, and at other times I'm frustrated by some sloppiness that creeps into my guitar playing, but I know, the more I do it, the better it will get. I've only been playing lead for a year and a half now, and I'm very happy with where I am now, but realize how much I need to improve.

After all these years of being a sax player in a guitar band and loving what the guitarists can do, it is "extreme fun" to be able to do some of the same things I have always enjoyed listening to.

I'm glad so many people are enjoying the mp3.

And thanks again for the kind comments, y'all are making my day!

Notes

Archived