Gibson Brands Forums

My uncle appraised my Beatles vinyl collection.

duane v

This all started last week when my uncle came over and noticed my Beatles collection, so he went through it last night and told me I had some very rare Beatles albums. I've had the majority since I was just a kid... Below are the rare ones as he states...

White Album

Serial # 0001870 (I guess that's a low number)

Has "Bungalow Bill" and "OBLADI OBLADA" spelled wrong on the vinyl label. Funny thing is I never noticed that:-k

Abbey Road

A rare Apple label (I guess).. My dad gave me this Album when I was 5 years old. It still has the price tag from Gemco.

Let it Be

Red Apple..... My uncle told me the Maggie Mae listing on the vinyl label was very rare, but I cant remember the particulars.

My uncle also stated I had others especially the stereo version of their early records... and rare singles.... Basically he told me to stop playing them

"Basically he told me to stop playing them"

...which makes them useless!

Exactly my thinking.... There's something about that Apple spinning on a turn table that throws me into a dream state=d>

BTW some images....

Let it Be label

268400.jpg

White Album images

268398.jpg

268399.jpg

Abbey Road

268401.jpg

268402.jpg

They have useful value in any form - however the more pristine (unused) they are the more valuable they are and the more value they will have in the future.

Research correct preservation measures for your trove.

Convert them to digital media for your own listening pleasure.

Stash the originals so your grandchildren can buy whatever they want (need).

Collectors astound me. The only time a unused "collection" has value is when it is sold. To have any value BEFORE it is sold' date=' it must be used.[/quote']

I have a coin collection of a face value of about $6K (passed down for two generations), maybe I should cash in for some GAS money.

Appraised value and what you'd actually get are usually 2 very different prices' date=' you usually get a lot less.[/quote']

Marx is right on this point. Try and get anywhere close to "book" value with any collectable (record album, comic book, etc) and you'll quickly get an idea of what the item is REALLY worth. To my mind, a collectable item's true value is in what it means to the owner, emotionally or otherwise. To some folks, a guitar might be a hunk of wood, metal and plastic, To others, it is substantially more valuable. Now take that same guitar and have it be played/owned by a musician that you look up to, and it becomes priceless!

MIDI

All of the posters made some valid points but I dont believe the original poster was asking anyone to put a price on his collection nor was he offering it for sale.

I was once a serious album collector myself and still have a nice collection and know all the do's and don'ts. Most collectable albums have been played at some point but if they have any tpe of scratches they are virtually worthless to a collector. Some of my albums are still in the original plastic. I don't even think about playing them as I do not even own a turntable anymore.

This all started last week when my uncle came over and noticed my Beatles collection' date=' so he went through it last night and told me I had some very rare Beatles albums. I've had the majority since I was just a kid... Below are the rare ones as he states...

Let it Be

Red Apple..... My uncle told me the Maggie Mae listing on the vinyl label was very rare, but I cant remember the particulars...[/quote']

Duane, besides that, my copy of the "Let It Be" album has the inside liner glued in upside-down. That's the

way it came. I bought it in Woolworth's when the album first came out. Don't know if the upside down liner

makes it a collector's item or if it's just a fluke. I don't care; the album has value to me as a memory of that period

of time and the great music that the Beatles made. This album especially because it went back to the "rawness"

of their earlier recordings.#-o

Reading this made me think of a story from my past.

When I was a child, I received 2 copies of "Introducing The Beatles" on the VeeJay label for a birthday present. I'm thinking this was 1964. Well, I played one and put the other one away. Forgot about until we moved in the mid '70's.

So here I had a sealed record and figured no use in opening it know, I'll keep it for ever.

Long story short, one of my brothers needed some cash about 3 years ago. Yep, thats correct, I no longer own a sealed copy of Introducing the Beatles on the VeeJay label.

I never found out what he sold it for and have no idea to its value, I just liked having the record.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, this wasn't one of the later issues they put out, it was a first run lp.

Those albums, while likely worth a lot in a "book/guide" sense usually don't fetch quite as much. There's a guy near where I live in Kalamazoo that has a basement full of vinyl I root through from time to time and I picked up almost 3/4 of the Jethro Tull albums for about $70, and with the condition they were in, it should have been closer to $300-$400 for the albums I was missing.

Usually, if you find a really passionate collector you can get some decent cash off of them, but frankly, unless you're hurting for money, just keep them. They're great conversation pieces. Personally, I have my "collector" vinyls matted and framed, but I picked up cheaper versions of them (or digital) to enjoy for listening. Best of both worlds.

As for GAS money, obtained from selling off collections or heirlooms, my comic collection is worth around $350,000, but I'd never cash it. I love having them. Granted, a few of my first runs could buy me that hollowbody I've been eyeing...

Cool stuff. I have copied my Beatles albums to cassettes in the past and now convert to MP3's since most of my music listening is somewhere else than by the home stereo (now a computer). Most albums I have replaced with CD's and have sold. For me it's the music, not the format. For me playing or not, selling or keeping is a personal choice.

Archived