Gibson Brands Forums

Holy crap, the Gibson Les Paul juniors are back

FrankS1281734010

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever floats your boat man' date=' but to me these look like starter guitars...something your parents might buy out of a JC Penney catalog. =D> [/quote']

I strongly feel that Mr. West (aka MR. TONE!) would disagree with you there.

Yeah, TV yellow, I'd buy one of those!

I was very disappointed when I found out Epi is not making a nice Jr in that particular color, only found them in black and white! Maestro I believe has a vintage sunburst model but I don't have a clue about the quality of the Maestro line, never bought one of them, never tried them!

looks good' date=' but i would like to see tv yellow as one color and also see epiphone bring them back too[/quote']

This might not go over well on an Epi forum but it's the truth! The Epi's are junk compared to the Gibby's.......night and day difference IMHO. I had an Epi TV Yellow Jr. and it was a very mediocre guitar and I'm being nice!

This might not go over well on an Epi forum but it's the truth! The Epi's are junk compared to the Gibby's.......night and day difference IMHO. I had an Epi TV Yellow Jr. and it was a very mediocre guitar and I'm being nice!

Nah, you're covered bro. =D> Happy New Year!

I played an Epi LP Jr at the store and thought it wasn't that good. But then a friend had it and with the proper setup and a P90, the thing really sounded nice. You're paying 1/10 of what Gibson charges, so I guess it's a good bargain specially for those who are beginners... I still think people can do much worse!

the set neck jr's were crap? oh well. my thought though was easier to afford the epi if they had one then the gibson..

The man gave his honest opinion about HIS experience. I have a VS and I couldn't be happier with it.

EDIT: I used to think based on appearance they were close' date=' then after a thread discussion a while ago with layboomo and TheX on this very topic I checked the Gibson version out in person that a friend had bought from MF.

Is the Epi 57 RI Junior a Gibson in terms of build, wood, electronics etc., etc., all around? No way!

However, In my personal experience and IMHO I have had no reason to feel the 57 RI was junk either.

I'd still want the Gibson version as I am almost positive the TONES from the thinner nitro finish and Gibby P90 would mean even more [i']toneful bliss[/i] (need to spend equal time with both to A/B) plus, I just happen to love Juniors. Don't forget there are some Gibson owners (I don't mean layboomo, I mean in general) that wouldn't be caught dead with a "student model", more for me. =D>

... and I was set to buy a Melody Maker when I stumbled across that Slash Signature... lol

Next on the list, a tough choice between the Epi LP Gold Top and a LP Plus Top in honeyburst! Losing my mind here, but I think I might go with a plus top again! lol

The man gave his honest opinion about HIS experience. I have a VS and I couldn't be happier with it.

EDIT: I used to think based on appearance they were close' date=' then after a thread discussion a while ago with layboomo and The X on this very topic I checked the Gibson version out in person that a friend had bought from MF.

Is it a Gibson in terms of build, wood, electronics etc., etc., all around? No way!

However, In my personal experience and IMHO I have had no reason to feel the 57 RI was junk either.

I'd still want the Gibson version as I am almost positive the TONES from the thinner nitro finish and Gibby P90 would mean even more [i']toneful bliss[/i] plus, I just happen to love Juniors. Don't forget there are some Gibson owners (I don't mean layboomo, I mean in general) that wouldn't be caught dead with a "student model", more for me. =D>

I think a VS is probably much nicer than the TV yellow that I had to be perfectly honest.......mine had a very thick finish....really not like a true TV Yellow at all. I happen to like Jr's too....and yes you can do much worse. I just think that the Gibby for $839 vs the Epi for $299 and then another $100 or so for a real P-90 and better electronics ........I'd be inclined to save up for the Gibson vs spending $400-$500 to get the Epi all dialed in and tweeked.

I think a VS is probably much nicer than the TV yellow that I had to be perfectly honest.......mine had a very thick finish....really not like a true TV Yellow at all. I happen to like Jr's too....and yes you can do much worse. I just think that the Gibby for $839 vs the Epi for $299 and then another $100 or so for a real P-90 and better electronics ........I'd be inclined to save up for the Gibson vs spending $400-$500 to get the Epi all dialed in and tweeked.

I read alot of that regarding the TV Yellow. =D>

I wasn't dissing what Layboomo said, just had seen a few posts here where others said the Epi set neck jr's were desirable, so thought an Epi set neck jr would still be ok. I know they should be a big step up from the epi bolt on jr's, but still not a full fledged Gibson. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes on guitars. I try and avoid the gibson/epi arguments, I buy epi's cause I can affrod them, when I ever get the cash, I'll add another Gibson or two to my stable. Some like the student models, some don't.. To me its about what each guy wants, whether its the sound or look of the guitar or both. Layboomo, I apologize if my original reply seemed argumentive, that was not the intention, it was just suprise about it is all..

I wasn't dissing what Layboomo said' date=' just had seen a few posts here where others said the Epi set neck jr's were desirable, so thought an Epi set neck jr would still be ok. I know they should be a big step up from the epi bolt on jr's, but still not a full fledged Gibson. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes on guitars. I try and avoid the gibson/epi arguments, I buy epi's cause I can affrod them, when I ever get the cash, I'll add another Gibson or two to my stable. Some like the student models, some don't.. To me its about what each guy wants, whether its the sound or look of the guitar or both. Layboomo, I apologize if my original reply seemed argumentive, that was not the intention, it was just suprise about it is all.. [/quote']

I didn't mean to sound that you were bro. Apologies as well if that came off the wrong way, again I love my Epi's and probably got lucky as they ARE made much more cost effective. Still sucks when someone has a bad experience with one though, they are great to jam with "worry free". Just thought in all fairness I should share my good experience as well.

I wasn't dissing what Layboomo said' date=' just had seen a few posts here where others said the Epi set neck jr's were desirable, so thought an Epi set neck jr would still be ok. I know they should be a big step up from the epi bolt on jr's, but still not a full fledged Gibson. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes on guitars. I try and avoid the gibson/epi arguments, I buy epi's cause I can affrod them, when I ever get the cash, I'll add another Gibson or two to my stable. Some like the student models, some don't.. To me its about what each guy wants, whether its the sound or look of the guitar or both. Layboomo, I apologize if my original reply seemed argumentive, that was not the intention, it was just suprise about it is all.. [/quote']

No problem....I just want to offer my opinions when I think they can help prevent people from making some of the same mistakes that I've made...that's all. And Junk was a poor choice of words on my part.

I'm looking at "next guitars," even though I should definitely not be... and these crossed my mind. I wish they would also reissue the double-cut, too, but I'll settle for a single.

If I buy one of these, I think I'd go for the satin cherry... how many of those do you think are going to have a Charlie Christian added for a less-expensive Lennon model?

If I buy one of these' date=' I think I'd go for the satin cherry... how many of those do you think are going to have a Charlie Christian added for a less-expensive Lennon model?[/quote']

Hahaha... I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw that. Save 4 grand! But you'll have to scratch it up yourself...sorry Yoko.

O:)

Got to see one the other day at one of my favorite shops, another local was playing it without an amp. So it's hard to say

about the sound, but over all fit and finish was very close to an Epi, but the Dog Ear P90 was a huge giveaway even from across the store. It was going for $800.00, I had the same idea as the player nice but not worth the extra money.

Hahaha... I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw that. Save 4 grand! But you'll have to scratch it up yourself...sorry Yoko.

O:)

I'm buying one today (Satin Cherry)... And ordering a Seymour Duncan Charlie Christian Repro pup, tune o matic bridge, toggle switch & ring, and a set of chrome Grover pegs.... And off to my Luthier ..... Man am I stoked!!!

I'm buying one today (Satin Cherry)... And ordering a Seymour Duncan Charlie Christian Repro pup' date=' tune o matic bridge, toggle switch & ring, and a set of chrome Grover pegs.... And off to my Luthier ..... Man am I stoked!!![/quote']

There you go.......good idea and a fun project to boot! Post pics of the before and after!

Archived