Gibson Brands Forums

Holy crap, the Gibson Les Paul juniors are back

FrankS1281734010

On a somewhat related note (but slightly OT because the link to start a new thread won't work from my blackberry, LOL) I found a '91 Gibson SG special on craigslist today for 400 bucks... You guys know anything about those, and wether or not it's worth it? It's black, I believe it's set neck, no pickguard, and it looks like 3 knobs, switch, and jack all on the lower quarter of the body. Dot inlays. He's only got one pic of it on the ad... Anybody know like what pickups were stock on those, what they are generally worth on secondary market, how much they were new, and basically wether or not it's a decent guitar?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a somewhat related note (but slightly OT because the link to start a new thread won't work from my blackberry' date=' LOL) I found a '91 Gibson SG special on craigslist today for 400 bucks... You guys know anything about those, and wether or not it's worth it? It's black, I believe it's set neck, no pickguard, and it looks like 3 knobs, switch, and jack all on the lower quarter of the body. Dot inlays. He's only got one pic of it on the ad... Anybody know like what pickups were stock on those, what they are generally worth on secondary market, how much they were new, and basically wether or not it's a decent guitar?

[/quote']

Actually yeah I am familiar with it if it's what I think it is...does it look like this? (sans pickguard)http://www.chrisguitars.com/gib91sgspec-alpine-gold.jpg . That's a 91 from a reputable used dealer for $775 so I'd say go for it!

I'd been wanting a P90 equipped guitar for ages and hoped Gibson would reissue an affordable LP jr...

Wednesday I pull the trigger on the very last SG Classic w/ P90s I could find, anywhere.

Wouldn't you know...The LP jr. is on GC's website the next day. Oh well, (must be Karma)

I'm not disappointed cause it is one sweet SG. I get to pick up the SG tomorrow, but I do want to try one of the LP jrs' out.

There you go.......good idea and a fun project to boot! Post pics of the before and after!

Will do!!! I already put together the price list for the parts I'll need

Gibson Aluminum tail piece = $130 (yikes!!)

ABR 1 bridge = $70

Extra thumb wheel = $6

Seymour Duncan traditional mount CC pup = $320

Pick-up toggle switch , back plate and ring = $35

Custom TRC plate = $20

Install bill (includes finish touch-ups)= $350

So basically my $800 guitar will cost me $1900#-o ...... vanity is such a sin

LOL...must be something in the wind...as there seems to be a lot of us, that have thought about

"Lennon"izing this (cherry version) guitar. It crossed my mind, as well...first time I saw it. Plus

this one doesn't have that annoying extra body piece in the cutaway! I never cared for that, in

the "Vintage" ones. But, this one...even though I said I was not going to purchase any guitars for

awhile, MIGHT change my mind? (Gosh, that was easy!!..LOL!)

CB

.even though I said I was not going to purchase any guitars for

awhile' date=' MIGHT change my mind? (Gosh, that was easy!!..LOL!)

CB[/quote']

this may sound absurd, well actually it is "absurd." The only way I was able to justify this guitar purchase was by receiving a $750 Amazon gift card for purchasing a Ford Edge for my wife for Christmas.:-s ..... Definitely not PHI BETA KAPPA.8-[ ......

The things we'll do just to justify a guitar purchase.8-[

this may sound absurd' date=' well actually it is "absurd." The only way I was able to justify this guitar purchase was by receiving a $750 Amazon gift card for purchasing a Ford Edge for my wife for Christmas.:-s ..... Definitely not PHI BETA KAPPA.8-[ ......

[/quote]

It's a disease bro!

Will do!!! I already put together the price list for the parts I'll need

ABR 1 bridge = $70

Extra thumb wheel = $6

Pick-up toggle switch ' date=' back plate and ring = $35

Custom TRC plate = $20

Install bill (includes finish touch-ups)= $350

So basically my $800 guitar will cost me $1900#-o ...... vanity is such a sin[/quote']

320 for a pickup seems steep, but 350 for installing one and swapping out some hardware just sounds way high. Where did you get your prices from?

this may sound absurd' date=' well actually it is "absurd." The only way I was able to justify this guitar purchase was by receiving a $750 Amazon gift card for purchasing a Ford Edge for my wife for Christmas.:-s ..... Definitely not PHI BETA KAPPA.8-[ ......

[/quote]

Well, it will be much less expensive, for me...I'm not married! LOL! Whew!!!

CB

320 for a pickup seems steep' date=' but 350 for installing one and swapping out some hardware just sounds way high. Where did you get your prices from?

[/quote']

The reason for the $350 labor expense is there will need to be a routing cavity made for the pick-up selector switch. Then a 4"x 4" cavity will need to be routed for traditional mount Charlie Christian pup. Also the existing holes for the wrap-around bridge will need to be filled for new holes for the ABR bridge. And finally all the finishing tough-ups needed caused from all the routing and wood fill work.

Personally I think $350 is a pretty good price.

ABR 1 bridge = $70

There are plenty of much cheaper alternatives without skimping anything on quality.

ABR1+tailpiece from Schaller, Gotoh or Faber

and a CC from Lollar, Novak or VintageVibe

Guest alanhindle

I like the look of these guitars and would consider getting the burst vintage version if the street price became more favourable but I'm wondering about a few issues:

1. Does the lack of a tunomatic bridge affect sustain?

2. Does the fact that it only has one p90 make it a bit of a one trick pony?

3. Is this a 'faded' finish- the addition of the name 'satin' to all the finishes implies that is is faded to me?

4. How thick is the body compared to, say, an SG?

I like the look of these guitars and would consider getting the burst vintage version if the street price became more favourable but I'm wondering about a few issues:

1. Does the lack of a tunomatic bridge affect sustain?

2. Does the fact that it only has one p90 make it a bit of a one trick pony?

3. Is this a 'faded' finish- the addition of the name 'satin' to all the finishes implies that is is faded to me?

4. How thick is the body compared to' date=' say, an SG?[/quote']

Sustain...differing opinions on that. Some say the wrap around bridge actually increases sustain,

others say the Stop bar + bridge combo is better??

One Trick Pony...only if your imagination is limited, and/or you don't like experimenting with tone,

volume controls (guitar and amp). Certainly not as convenient, as two (or 3) pickups, that way,

but I had an old 61 LP (SG version) Junior, that was a killer guitar! (Another one, of several, I regret selling)

I haven't seen the newer LP Juniors (just reissued) yet, so I can't comment on the finish.

Body seems to be thicker, than an SG...as you'd expect.

CB

Sustain...differing opinions on that. Some say the wrap around bridge actually increases sustain' date='

others say the Stop bar + bridge combo is better??

CB[/quote']

IMO and to my ears, the guitars I have with a wrap around have increased sustain.

One Trick Pony...only if your imagination is limited' date=' and/or you don't like experimenting with tone,

volume controls (guitar and amp).

CB[/quote']

I agree with this 100%.

Just ordered the Charlie Christian pup from vintagevibe, and it came in at the low price of $99=d> . And purchased a "CUSTOM" trc.

Now I have another question to ask, and this is in regards to the aluminum stop tailpiece. The Gibson unit is $130 =D> .... Stew-Mac has the Gotoh aluminum unit for only $34... So what I'm asking is, are there any inherent differences between the Gibson and Gotoh tailpieces to justify the $100 price difference?

Thanks for the help

Judging from the photos on the Gibson site, It definitely looks like a faded finish to me. Perhaps not a "worn" type, but you can see the unfilled pores in the grain if you look closely.

I had a double-cutaway Junior (an 80s model) as my main guitar for years and absolutely loved it. It was a great guitar. It had a tune-o-matic and stop bar, though. Not a wraparound. It was actually quite versatile. Much more than you'd think.

It was destroyed at our practice space after a house party/. Someone was nice enough to disassemble it for me.

I'd really like to have one of these, but wish they were just a couple bills cheaper, but everything's expensive nowadays.

Guest alanhindle
Judging from the photos on the Gibson site' date=' It definitely looks like a faded finish to me. Perhaps not a "worn" type, but you can see the unfilled pores in the grain if you look closely.

I had a double-cutaway Junior (an 80s model) as my main guitar for years and absolutely loved it. It was a great guitar. It had a tune-o-matic and stop bar, though. Not a wraparound. It was actually quite versatile. Much more than you'd think.

It was destroyed at our practice space after a house party/. Someone was nice enough to disassemble it for me.

I'd really like to have one of these, but wish they were just a couple bills cheaper, but everything's expensive nowadays.

[/quote']

Perhaps the Melody Maker, at virtually half the price, is a much better deal. This still has a set neck, a '50s profile and a 'thinner' nitro finish (showing the unfilled pores).

A Melody maker could be fitted with a Seymour Duncan SSL-4 quarter pound flat which gives the P90 sound in a SC sized package:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/progressive/quarter_pound_f/

IMO, Nice axe, But, $800 a little steep for that Jr. Seems to me $600 would be more like it. Gibson needs decent guitar in that price range. As stated earlier, the Melody Maker at $400 is a better deal. The single coil on my MM screams. Not sure I'd get $400 worth of better sound with the Jr.

Just my oppinion......[-X

Faded...

Archived