Gibson Brands Forums

Holy crap, the Gibson Les Paul juniors are back

FrankS1281734010

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really sure about the " get a better sound " comment. Honestly the Melody Maker and Jr's just have a different sound. Thats exactally why I will be ordering a JR right after my Melody Maker arrives. The unique sound of each is what I am looking for.

Guest alanhindle
What's "List" price? Take 40% off list' date=' and you should have a "real" selling price.

NEVER pay more than 60% (40% off) of List! NEVER!!! They won't sell it for that,

walk away!

CB[/quote']

List price is $1199 for the Jr. vs. $699 for the MM so Fadedepi's quoted street prices of $800 and $400 seem about right, proportionally speaking. I think $800 would an be acceptable asking price for the new Junior if it had a full nitro finish but I think it's a bit steep for a faded/satin finished version if we're right in assuming that's how it comes.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the look of the new LP Jr. It's a nice guitar.

Alan

Yeah, I only meant that 40% off, is pretty standard. If you can do better, that's great! Sometimes,

all you have to do is wait, a bit, until the hoopla dies down, and you can get even better deals.

But, I've never paid more than 60% of "List" for any guitar I own. Some, I've paid a lot less than that,

too....new, and first class condition. So... A lot of it is "Timing!" ;>)

CB

bump

anyone see any store or

dealer with white ones? beuller? help?

This is about as close as you'll get.... LOL!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EPI-LES-PAUL-JUNIOR-GIBSON-DIRTY-FINGERS-PICKUP_W0QQitemZ140292104724QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item140292104724&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I've only seen the satin cherry and the sunburst available at the moment

I have a new Epi LP jr, not a "great" guitar but the best $29 guitar I've ever bought music269.gif

GC had a sale, spend $500 on a guitar get the junior for $29, I was going to give it to my nephew for X-mas but his dad said NOOOOOO [-X

So I'm going to take it with me while I travel for work and not have to worry about damaging an expensive guitar.

This, my DR Rhythm 880 and a pair of headphones and I can practice (I need it I stink) all night without pissin off the people in the next room.

LP_Junior.jpg

The reason for the $350 labor expense is there will need to be a routing cavity made for the pick-up selector switch. Then a 4"x 4" cavity will need to be routed for traditional mount Charlie Christian pup. Also the existing holes for the wrap-around bridge will need to be filled for new holes for the ABR bridge. And finally all the finishing tough-ups needed caused from all the routing and wood fill work.

Personally I think $350 is a pretty good price.

Ah. Wasn't aware how involved the work was going to be... I'm not familiar with the particular guitar you're trying to replicate. Seems pricey to me, for that kind of money I would personally be trying to find a decent used LP custom or at least a standard... But if that's what you want, go for it! I sure have no place judging people for their choices in instruments, considering the pile of fakes and cheapies I currently own, LOL! I think I'm up to 7 guitars now, and my epi plain top standard is the most valuable one I have. And I have definitely spent a ton of money on pickups and mods to get them all where I want them, (and I'm not done yet, by far...) so I know where you're coming from!

Ah. Wasn't aware how involved the work was going to be... I'm not familiar with the particular guitar you're trying to replicate. Seems pricey to me' date=' for that kind of money I would personally be trying to find a decent used LP custom or at least a standard... But if that's what you want, go for it! I sure have no place judging people for their choices in instruments, considering the pile of fakes and cheapies I currently own, LOL! I think I'm up to 7 guitars now, and my epi plain top standard is the most valuable one I have. And I have definitely spent a ton of money on pickups and mods to get them all where I want them, (and I'm not done yet, by far...) so I know where you're coming from![/quote']

I'll admit there was a degree of concern when I initially started laying out the price of the parts that would be needed, was sky rocketing towards the $2000 out of pocket cost. But due to the good people here at the Epi forums, I was able to obtain used Gibson components at only 1/3 of the cost originally planned. So now (baring no screw-ups by my Luthier) I will have a JL LP Junior with a grand total out of pocket cost, (including guitar) of $700.

I will post images of the progress, and will keep track of all receipts, so if anyone else plans to embark on the same endeavor, they will have a good idea what they're getting themselves into.

sledge' date=' I didn't know new Epi Lp Jr.'s came with a P90.[/quote']

To be honest, when I bought it I didn't know anything about the Jr.

I was there to get a PRS SE Singlecut and saw the sign and figured for that price how could I go wrong.

Here's a review for another Jr just like mine, with P-90's, from 2006, I wonder how old mine is (not like it matters)

Like I said, for $29 I can mod the thing to my hearts content, gonna replace the electronics and try a "good" P-90 in it first.

http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2006/12/07/price-drop-epiphones-les-paul-jr-just-99/

i am firmly in the "whatever they are asking for is too much" camp. not that it wouldn't be a cool guitar, and the heritages run for more, anyway, so whatever. but they do look cool, and p90s are pretty awesome.

I guess they do or did make the bolt on at one point with a P90 as I found one this past weekend for about $89 used. This one was a made in Indonesia model

Yes, I've seen both Les Paul and SG Jr. models with bolt on necks, but with P90s rather than humbuckers. I don't know how long they made them for, though. Don't seem anywhere near as common as the humbucker ones. I was never aware of them when they were available new, or I would own one...

They gave you the 57 reissue with the set neck for 29 bucks? Wow' date=' good deal.[/quote']

It's a bolt on neck, but it's still fun for me, like I said, I stink at the guitar.

When I got the PRS SE and the LP Jr my brother (the one with talent) came over to try them out and he poo poo'd the Jr after playing the PRS telling me to stick with the "good" guitar because trying to learn on the Jr would piss me off and be frustrating.

To be honest with my lack of ability the Jr seems fine to me. Not that I can't tell the difference between the 2 but I don't hate the Jr like he did (he's spoiled too). Another interseting thing is the intonation on the PRS is off and the Jr is almost perfect. I know it can be adjusted, I'm just chicken to fool with it and take a chance making the whole thing worse.

So the Jr is my guinea pig for learning how to do these kind of things.

Archived