Gibson Brands Forums

It's Official: Made in USA Epiphone 62 Wilshire Vintage Reissue

Growler

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An American made Epi!!!! It's about time... Now I can actually purchase a new Epiphone for the first time=d>

Well, at only 100 units, good luck getting your hands on one. I suspect that the serious collectors will have these pre-ordered before they ever hit a sales floor.

I have to agree with Nelson, this guitar does not look like a high-end guitar to justify a high price. I can visualize the rich snobs that will buy it and show it to impress their friends, and the friends will think to themselves "what a sucker!". I already don't undertand how people pay so much for the vintage LP juniors either.

Epiphone must be "testing the waters" with this idea, but it looks like they are fishing for the rich suckers out there. If successful, they will come up with other releases like this, likely larger in number. Epi is taking advantage of the "collector" and "vintage" mentality that exists out there.

I have to agree with Nelson' date=' this guitar does not look like a high-end guitar to justify a high price. I can visualize the rich snobs that will buy it and show it to impress their friends, and the friends will think to themselves "what a sucker!". I already don't undertand how people pay so much for the vintage LP juniors either.

[/quote']

I'm sorry but that's just absurd.... I purchased a cream finish Les Paul custom brand new when I was a 17 years old and was able to save $1100 within 3 months to buy it, and this was back in 1982. And all I had for employment was a paper route and worked at Mickey D's. So please don't insult some of the young people that have a certain amount of gumption to save $2000 for a guitar they want.

You want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it......... a hint, it's a concept called hard work.

Nelsons comment about 'ghettoizing' epis struck a chord with me.

It's what I was objecting to discussing calling the sheratons cosmetic features 'bling'.

I bet nobody does that when discussing PRS or Gibson or.. anyone else's high end stuff. Yet it's the same gold, the same

multi ply binding etc.

I also object the characterisation along racial lines. It's purely biased to my mind.

Furthermore, I don't believe there's anything ghetto, assuming a negative connotation, about my epi korean sheraton, or my chinese epi lp studio.

Both those guitars look darn good, and play and sound right up there with anything I've ever run into.

We ought to stand up for our Epis.. Lots of guys in here know they've gotten an excellent instrument and feel satisfied that their modifications

were not just being cheap, etc.

As to this new Epi guitar, it is true that that model is pretty unknown by most players.

I can't recall a famous player using one, though I'm sure someone probably did.

I think Epiphone has a bit of a hassle in that they most likely don't want to compete directly with Gibson, so reissues or special versions

that raise the price probably need to be a fair distance from just being another gibson.

I think we're seeing that in a couple of directions. Reissue of lesser known style, and introduction of newer body shapes.

And I think this is going to be pricey, too.

TWANG

I also object the characterisation along racial lines. It's purely biased to my mind.

Furthermore' date=' I don't believe there's anything ghetto, assuming a negative connotation, about my epi korean sheraton, or my chinese epi lp studio.

Both those guitars look darn good, and play and sound right up there with anything I've ever run into.

We ought to stand up for our Epis.. Lots of guys in here know they've gotten an excellent instrument and feel satisfied that their modifications

were not just being cheap, etc.[/quote']

I agree

Though I won't purchase an MIC or MIK made guitar, I have played both origin made Epis, and the quality is well worth the price. Just a couple of upgrades to these guitars, and a pro can use them in the studio or for live performances, and have a nice performing instrument.

Oh, seriously now...what would you call putting two hundred bucks worth of gold-plated chintz on a hundred and fifty buck chunk of plywood?...we are alll soooo politically correct..I just can't take any of you Bozos seriously when you try to go there...not that I can any other time either..and Ace, these aren't aimed at kids with paper routes so save your little trip down memory lane for the old folks home...besides..a kid capable of saving two grand isn't wasting his time in this forum...the one's for old men who like to pretend they have two thousand dollar guitars coming out of their asses by buying butt loads of cheap guitars..and for the record, I currently own ONE guitar that I'd consider vintage and valuable and it isn't even a Gibson...the biggest mouths here can't even afford the sales tax on one of those Wilshires and that makes this even funnier..A limited run of a hundred at the Gibson Custom Shop isn't aimed at a bunch of dreamers in the discount section..get real..Growler, I make it too easy for these goobers....and yeah, these beef jerkies should take the time to look up meanings of the word "ghetto" since their racism seems to want to portray ghetto as being exclusively black...I could have said "trailer park " the guitars up and then I would have been getting REALLY personal with some of the jokers here and their heads would have exploded...

Nelson

Nelsons comment about 'ghettoizing' epis struck a chord with me.

It's what I was objecting to discussing calling the sheratons cosmetic features 'bling'.

I bet nobody does that when discussing PRS or Gibson or.. anyone else's high end stuff. Yet it's the same gold' date=' the same

multi ply binding etc.

Furthermore, I don't believe there's anything ghetto, assuming a negative connotation, about my epi korean sheraton, or my chinese epi lp studio.

were not just being cheap, etc.

As to this new Epi guitar, it is true that that model is pretty unknown by most players.

I can't recall a famous player using one, though I'm sure someone probably did.

I think Epiphone has a bit of a hassle in that they most likely don't want to compete directly with Gibson, so reissues or special versions

that raise the price probably need to be a fair distance from just being another gibson.

I think we're seeing that in a couple of directions. Reissue of lesser known style, and introduction of newer body shapes.

And I think this is going to be pricey, too.

TWANG[/quote']

The gold on your Sheraton isn't bling...bling means flashy and valuable...your Sheraton's gold is "chintzy" not bling-y...chintzy meaning trying to look valuable by looking flashy-chintz is ornate cloth so it isn't a shot at any ethnic group.....no racism on my part but that fugly *** Les Paul of yours with the too big Bigsby-clone is the epitome and actualization of the term...ghetto...or "trailer park" if that is easier on your social consciousness and conscience..I guess in your case it'd be more a trailer park thing...if J.C. Whitney sold guitar parts you'd be their best customer...probably a sales rep by now...

They always want my attention to have a go but when they get it they whine and cry like like Nancy boys...watch where this goes, kids...watch Twang get all community college debate squad with me now...

Nelson

Growler' date=' I make it too easy for these goobers....and yeah, these beef jerkies should take the time to look up meanings of the word "ghetto" since their racism seems to want to portray ghetto as being exclusively black...I could have said "trailer park " the guitars up and then I would have been getting REALLY personal with some of the jokers here and their heads would have exploded...

Nelson[/quote']

It seems these days everyone is too sensitive and quick to label someone as soon as a certain word is used. I mean it's clear when someone crosses the line but other than that...It's tiring and a snoozefest. BTW I started another thread on Juniors because I am having major GAS for the new Gibson that just came out. Since I am out of "The Ghetto" now, I may go for one soon. lol

Tell me about some of the differences about the 50's ones and what you think Gibson might be doing differently in building them these days in your opinion/fact etc,. I really need to see these 'satin' finish deals in person rather than ordering on-line. I like the last batch (that other forumite snookelputz has- he did a kickass review!) they had in 06/07 and missed the boat.

Also, did you ever keep one of the 50's models or are they all gone?

but that fugly *** Les Paul of yours with the too big Bigsby-clone is the epitome and actualization of the term...ghetto...or "trailer park" if that is easier on your social consciousness and conscience..I guess in your case it'd be more a trailer park thing...if J.C. Whitney sold guitar parts you'd be their best customer...probably a sales rep by now...

Nelson

=D> ...... I dont see how a guitar is a represenation of a ghetto or trailer park:-s ..... And how it can be directly related to specific profession such as Sales :confused:.......... And from my understanding J.C. Whitney don't sell Epihones with gold plated hardware.... or maybe they do.

It seems these days everyone is too sensitive and quick to label someone as soon as a certain word is used. I mean it's clear when someone crosses the line but other than that...It's tiring and a snoozefest. BTW I started another thread on Juniors because I am having major GAS for the new Gibson that just came out. Since I am out of "The Ghetto" now' date=' I may go for one soon. lol

Tell me about some of the differences about the 50's ones and what you think Gibson might be doing differently in building them these days in your opinion/fact etc,. I really need to see these 'satin' finish deals in person rather than ordering on-line. I like the last batch (that other forumite snookelputz has- he did a kickass review!) they had in 06/07 and missed the boat.

Also, did you ever keep one of the 50's models or are they all gone?[/quote']

No, I didn't keep one...and of all the guitars in thirty some years that passed by me I wish I had held on to a Special..most of my criticism of the current Juniors is just to rile up the natives...that wasn't too racially insensitive was it? The biggest difference is the wrap around bridge/tail piece Vs. the stop/tune-a-matic. yeah, the intonation is more accurate but they sound different..the wrap tail is more woody (which ironically back in the 70's wasn't a desired quality) where the tune-a-matic version is a lot brighter to my ears...but...in all honesty the intonation is a factor with the originals and a compromise solution at best..and the neck sets could be problematic as well...but the worst of these probably end up being slide guitars lol...I've only compared the newer Gibson version to my probably faded memory but considering where in the food chain the model itself is I don't think the Epiphone is going to be hugely removed from that. The original finishes weren't spectacular either and I prefer the cherry to that fugly sunburst they used. The original bodies were Honduras mahogany but that is of little consequence since it wasn't the higher quality wood stocks they were diving into to make these. I'd love to have kept one but I didn't <kicks self in ***> because I always thought at the time "what do I need with one of these? " and they did seem plentiful...what happened is the vintage wannabe market exploded which drove the price of the real sh!t through the roof and left this marginal stuff for the masses to inflate the price...once that was achieved the Japanese guitars from this era suddenly because these great guitars we all missed at the time...right.

I never kept a Junior or a Special and that's bad but worse I owned a Crestwood Custom (my second electric guitar c.1969) that I traded away...now that was a great guitar...at least in my memory. I think the Wilshire run will sell out prior to release. All the higher level dealers will exercise their options to buy and they'll grab them all for speculative purposes. I really do think Gibson can produce a similar model in the under $2K market niche but why do that when they can make the limited runs with a much larger margin and still keep customers hungry...I don't know if anyone has noticed but the economy isn't doing real well and expendable income isn't real abundant. The majority of the members here buy their guitars with expendable income...a larger percentage of say, the Gibson forum also buys guitars with their expendable income but Gibson also has the really high end collector market...much of which is ridiculous and contrived like that self tuning guitar joke but these makers like Gibson and Martin always have special editions which are gobbled up no matter what the economic state. But to sell guitars to the unwashed masses (the under $3K market) they either have to offer either incredible authenticity which lets one pretend they have a big deal vintage guitar or incredible innovation in design or function which appeals to the young professional guitarist . Gibson isn't famous for doing either. Gibson wants BIG bucks for the authenticity and if a self tuning guitar is the best Gibson can come up with in the way of technological advancement it might be time to quit or just find other old models to make accurate copies of... As long as Gibson can sell that crap at those stupid prices though that's going to be what they sell...

Nelson

Guest alanhindle

Epiphone must be "testing the waters" with this idea' date=' but it looks like they are fishing for the rich suckers out there. If successful, they will come up with other releases like this, likely larger in number. Epi is taking advantage of the "collector" and "vintage" mentality that exists out there.

[/quote']

I think you're right that they're testing the waters but maybe the motive could be different.

Gibson/Epiphone seem to be scaling down on the ranges of guitars made in the US and in the Far East. Maybe there will be US made versions of the 'original instruments' from both brand names and then cheaper Chinese made versions branded as both Gibsons and Epiphones too.

That way they can capitalise on both brand names and appeal to a much wider market across the range of prices. What if all those Chinese made prophecy style and signature guitars had the Gibson name on them but kept the same Epiphone price. Fen**r would have some very serious competition then.

I may be playing devil's advocate here but it's not an impossibility that this could happen.

I know those who stick to the old Gibson line - Only a Gibson is good enough - would never go for this idea, but I really think Fender has a good system worked out - Squiers are made in Asia, and Fender-branded instruments are made in Mexico and the United States.

You can still get the Fender name for less money out of Mexico, but you can also buy a "real" USA Fender.

Martin has/had a similar system - Sigma (and another brand, I believe) were made in Korea, while Martin instruments are made in the United States, except for the least-expensive, made in Mexico.

Gibson's acoustics are doing something similar. The highest-end models are made in Montana, but they also have some made in Canada that sell for less.

It's not ugly to me. I think it would be a nice alternative to the tele/strat/les paul/sg for classic-type guitars and at the $600-1000 range might not be a huge seller but would probably sell OK and would, in the long run, be more profitable than 100 high-priced custom shop versions.

It's not ugly to me. I think it would be a nice alternative to the tele/strat/les paul/sg for classic-type guitars and at the $600-1000 range might not be a huge seller but would probably sell OK and would' date=' in the long run, be more profitable than 100 high-priced custom shop versions.[/quote']

It looks to me like exactly what it is: an early 60's Strat knockoff.

Archived