Gibson Brands Forums

just got back from GC

Mash94

While shopping for an amp for late night usage (tiny little amp prefferably with headphone out) I went to a store and asked the salesguy to give me a Gibson Les Paul Studio VM they had there... (dont know why' date=' they arent the Gibson dealer for ecuador) and the idiot tells me I have to try the amp with a Squier because Im buying a cheap amp so he isnt going to let me try it with an expensive guitar that if I damage I wont be able to pay... (first and last time I went to that store).

I drove back to the studio and with the help of a friend loaded my (now) 2 Gibsons on my car, took a pedalboard and cables and drove back...

"So this is the sh¡t I inted to use that amp with, can I try it again with a propper guitar?"

Of course I didnt buy the amp, but the guy was ashamed and from the look on his face, felt very stupid and useless... needless to say from that moment on he was trying to get me to try every expensive sh¡t they had there, and I was ignoring him and testing the amp.

Of course I didnt uy it, I ended up with a Vox Pathfinder that I tested and bought yesterday when I went to pick up my shipment of eminence speakers.[/quote']

Its your hair... Get a flat top and you can do anything

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really does suck' date=' and their is no way to tell them that you are not like the rest (in some ways) without being disrespectful. But you are right....

[/quote']

We've all been through it and we feel your pain.

You should take surfpup's advice...find a really good independent dealer and earn their trust. GC salespeople have no way of knowing that you are not like the rest.

If you want to get your hands on some of the good gear at GC, then maybe go to the store with someone who is a little older (brother, uncle, dad, guitar teacher, etc.). The salespeople will then take you a little more seriously.

We've all been through it and we feel your pain.

You should take surfpup's advice...find a really good independent dealer and earn their trust. GC salespeople have no way of knowing that you are not like the rest.

If you want to get your hands on some of the good gear at GC' date=' then maybe go to the store with someone who is a little older (brother, uncle, dad, guitar teacher, etc.). The salespeople will then take you a little more seriously.

[/quote']

Well, I've earned the trust of the guys at my local GC but don't trust their product because I saw a kid drop and epi les paul and start crying because he thought is was a Gibson. Still, it cost him $550 but thats a lot less than $2,550

Depending on what I'm buying (and if I feel like hauling anything around in the first place...), I bring my own stuff with me. With amps, I definitely bring my own guitar(s) as well as my main overdrive pedal; I don't need to know how it sounds with a wah, but I definitely want to know how it works with MY guitars to get MY main overdriven tone (or whatever tone it is that I'm looking for).

Basically, it's all about narrowing down the amount of variables that can change once you get the gear home. I'm lucky in that my local retailers is a really good store with great selection and a 30-day return policy so, even if the gear ends up not being to my liking, it's no hassle to return it. I've been a customer for over 25 years now and even worked there for a while so I know what the deal is when I walk in. I still sometimes buy stuff on the web but, if I know the local store has it or can get it, I always go to them first.

Neo' date=' I'm gonna have to check out that store.[/quote']

They have over 80 Les Pauls hanging on the wall as we speak, and that's not counting the Epiphones.

Do they have a website?

Yeah.

http://www.bizarreguitar.net/

It's not much' date=' and they don't do much mail order.

I've hooked a few guys up who bought guitars and had them shipped to them, but they prefer to keep it simple.

Walk in, look around, and THEY will take guitars down and let you play them.

I've known them for years, I get something down now and then but I always ask first.

In 2002 I was in there looking around one day.

Waited until they weren't busy and I asked one of the sales guys if I could look at a ES-175.

He gave me the evasive treatment, said the owner only lets serious buyers touch them.

This was not long after I had bought my 335 and Hot Rod DeVille from them.

Pissed me off!

Oh well, he was a new guy and didn't know me so I didn't say anything.

A couple months later I was in town and stopped by again - asked the manager if I could look at a 175.

He remembered me and said "absolutely!"

I told him the story, he let me know that guy didn't work there any more.

They still have the same guys working there for over 4 years.

That's an eternity in guitar retailing.

I don't have any local independent dealers that sell quality guitars... I walked into GC and the first thing I said to a guy (exact words) "Excuse me...umm do you mind if I uhh play some of your les pauls? Gibsons"

Good start.

But if all they have working there is a bunch of chowder heads who are scared of their manager....

If any of you are looking for something special, let me know.

I can take digital pics of whatever you like and email them to you.

If it grabs you, give them a call and deal....

And now.....back to the discussion about guitars......

I was also underwhelmed by the Traditional.

I have also been underwhelmed by the chambered and weight-relieved standards. I should qualify this in terms of sound only. They are quality instruments, but just don't have enough of that LP sound to warrant the cost. If you want a real LP, save up a few hundred more $$$ and get an R8. I also played a 1999 used R9 recently, and that was by far the best. If you like the Traditional, it might be worth it to look into comparable guitars for a little less money (Carvin CS6, for example, I just tried one a couple of days ago, or maybe just get an Epiphone Elitist. The Elitist is similar in material quality and tone (maybe not in pickups), but not in finishing quality. THe standards definitely play better.)

Anyway, my opinion is to get a reissue, never look back, and keep it forever. I will be doing the same as soon as I get up the gumption to piss of my wife. ;-)

-Brad

Wrong thread Brad.

THIS is a thread called "just got back from GC" and I was helping the unknowing understand how GC sucks....

Okay, I'll stop. :-)

Reissue is the way to go if ya gots the bucks.

Good luck with the wife!

I was also underwhelmed by the Traditional.

I have also been underwhelmed by the chambered and weight-relieved standards. I should qualify this in terms of sound only. They are quality instruments' date=' but just don't have enough of that LP sound to warrant the cost. If you want a real LP, save up a few hundred more $$$ and get an R8. I also played a 1999 used R9 recently, and that was by far the best. If you like the Traditional, it might be worth it to look into comparable guitars for a little less money (Carvin CS6, for example, I just tried one a couple of days ago, or maybe just get an Epiphone Elitist. The Elitist is similar in material quality and tone (maybe not in pickups), but not in finishing quality. THe standards definitely play better.)

Anyway, my opinion is to get a reissue, never look back, and keep it forever. I will be doing the same as soon as I get up the gumption to piss of my wife. ;-)

-Brad

[/quote']

Ok thanks Brad. When I was there I only played a silverburst, traditional and custom. The custom was my favorite but too expensive. I'll have to try an R8 next time I go which will probably be soon.

Wow....my beauty was/is in perfect shape off the rack. I don't know if some 15 year old had played it or not. Yes, it's noisy in there, and it is full of kids playing guitars...but as a former kid and now an old baby boomer, I LIKE the environment. It is alive with fun. I don't see guitars being dropped on the floor or being damaged. The staff are young and friendly. They love their work and everybody is upbeat. Everytime I leave GC I feel young and excited to get home to play my possibly used by a teenager guitar!

Wow....my beauty was/is in perfect shape off the rack. I don't know if some 15 year old had played it or not. Yes' date=' it's noisy in there, and it is full of kids playing guitars...but as a former kid and now an old baby boomer, I LIKE the environment. It is alive with fun. I don't see guitars being dropped on the floor or being damaged. The staff are young and friendly. They love their work and everybody is upbeat. Everytime I leave GC I feel young and excited to get home to play my possibly used by a teenager guitar![/quote']

I know what you mean but sometimes you have a bad experience. I bet you can ask to go into the back to see the unplayed guitars if you're a serious buyer

Niiice! Dont know much about Chargers' date=' we dont have Dodge around here (well 1 dealer) V8?

And dude, the movies dont lie....wealthy neighbour hoods have house cloning problems! haha[/quote']

350 HP V8- Cloning houses? Wealthy? They're called duplexes or 2 flats. So I get half a house and a solid car. :D/

Dude that is hot! Now HCS or Honey..Damn it! Whats up with all the Hate over a TRC' date=' looks ok?

[/quote']

It was hot and it played hotter!! Go with HCS i didn't really like the Honey they had there. I think the TRC looks fine. I plan on naming my guitar and having it carved on the TRC though.

Dude that is hot! Now HCS or Honey..Damn it! Whats up with all the Hate over a TRC' date=' looks ok?

[/quote']

It was hot and it played hotter!! Go with HCS i didn't really like the Honey they had there. I think the TRC looks fine. I plan on naming my guitar and having it carved on the TRC though.

Archived