Gibson Brands Forums

just got back from GC

Mash94

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm fenrx makes a good point

but i have a guy who ive know for a long effin time, we where friends b4 he got a job @ GC, so me and him know what is fair, and what isnt

ive bought 3 guitars from him, a strat, and 2 les pauls, the strat and the standard, where floor models, but i was the first to ever play the standard, and the strat was n great condition

but they where floor models, so i got a discount, and no-one dinged it up before i got it

so i guess the reputation of kids jacking up guitars saved me some dough

but honestly, i do hate when people play metalica wth the gain all the way up

its pathetic, but it reminds us all, when it comes to guitarists, no-one has come up with anything new in the last 20 years, and its a matter of who can play faster and cleaner, and who can show off louder then the next guy

Q: how many guitarists does it change a lightbulb

A: 21, 1 to change it, 20 to stand there and say "i can do that better then him"

Tell you what. When you get your driving permit in 2 weeks' date=' walk into your nearest Dodge dealer, feed them that line, and see if they let you take a HEMI Charger for a rip. After all, if the cars were for buyers only...

Make sure to post some pictures of you doing donuts in the parking lot. [img']http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/beavisnbutthead.gif[/img]

I got a Hemi Charger #-o

Charger001.jpg

Nothing against the responsible young guys.

Honestly, I used to love the fact that GC would let you grab a guitar off (within reach) the wall and play it. That's why they put the 2k+ guitars way up at the ceiling. So they usually don't have to tell someone they don't trust them with it. I've always seen it as somewhat of an unspoken understanding. It's up ther for a reason.

Fiddle with the Epis, VMs, fadeds, and Studios

I hate going in GC and going through 8 guitars before I can find one that even works much less tuned and intonated.

I recently got introduced to a smaller local shop that is very much the opposite. Their guitars are all behind a wall partition and on the wall, Granted they mainly sell high end guitars, but they are in pristine condition. And you want to buy one.

My advice

When you have some cash or some plastic that will clear, then go ask to get you down a 5k guitar.

If he says no, buy it somewhere else and bring it back to test an amp and make sure he's the one to bring you a cable and a pick.

Nice point Slim Jim. The one near me has a small room with "really nice" guitars behind glass.......last time I was in there, there were 2 epi's and schecter. Nice guitars but nowhere near the ONE R9 they had. Craziness!

Q: how many guitarists does it change a lightbulb

A: 21' date=' 1 to change it, 20 to stand there and say "i can do that better then him"[/quote']

Q: How many vintage Les Paul owners does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 5, 1 to change it, and 4 to talk about how good the old lightbulb was.

im gonna be the **** here.

that is one (of many) reason i hate GC. no offense' date=' but when i go in there to play a guitar, I am in there to buy. nothing is more irritating than all the teenagers who sit there and play their over distorted crapola thru the Marshall SS amps...it absolutely makes it impossible to get any real feel for the guitar's tonal capabilites. i have NEVER seen anyone under the age of 20 spend more than $50 in a GC. they just go in there aand **** up all the guitars and then buy a cord and a couple picks. i wouldnt trust a 15 yo with a $5200 guitar either, sorry.

if you cant afford it, then you shouldnt touch it. [/quote']

I beg to differ for two reasons....

1. Those guys were watching me the whole time(pedophiles) while I would hold a guitar like a newborn baby, play a couple of clean licks, and put it back slower than molasses.

2. The R9 was on ground level but there were boxes sticking out a couple of feet and I couldn't reach that far without possibly damaging the guitar. I purposely walked around the store looking for the tallest guy working there to help me (turns out he was one of the guys watching me) and he was the ******** that said "KID, I don't trust you with that" and for some reason he put an exclamation on the KID

I beg to differ for two reasons....

1. Those guys were watching me the whole time(pedophiles) while I would hold a guitar like a newborn baby' date=' play a couple of clean licks, and put it back slower than molasses.

2. The R9 was on ground level but there were boxes sticking out a couple of feet and I couldn't reach that far without possibly damaging the guitar. I purposely walked around the store looking for the tallest guy working there to help me (turns out he was one of the guys watching me) and he was the ******** that said "KID, I don't trust you with that" and for some reason he put an exclamation on the KID[/quote']

Sucks being a teenager, right? That's just the way it is. Can you really blame them. It's their job to protect the merchandise. A kid coming into a guitar store without his or her parents isn't going to get much respect. They assume you aren't there to buy. And 999 times out of 1000 they are right.

So give me one good reason they should trust you with THEIR expensive gear?

hey i know what its like to be a teenager. hell, im 26 and dont get any respect sometimes because i still look like im 17. but thats the way it is. while i agree that people at GC are not the most polite individuals i have ever come across, the fact remains that you are a kid (ie still a minor) and do not have the cash (im guessing) to back up the guitar in the unlikely event you dropped it and the neck snapped.

Growing up there were no mega stores. You got to know the guys in your local shop, and they were helpful and generally trusting. I remember once walking in to a shop, and the owner (whom I knew pretty well by then) hands me a '59 burst he had just bought for $40k! He's like.. "check this out..." and plugs me into a 50 watt plexi. I am pretty sure that wouldn't happen in GC. Of course the small shops can't afford the inventory, so there's the trade off - limited selection.

Growing up there were no mega stores. You got to know the guys in your local shop' date=' and they were helpful and generally trusting. I remember once walking in to a shop, and the owner (whom I knew pretty well by then) hands me a '59 burst he had just bought for $40k! He's like.. "check this out..." and plugs me into a 50 watt plexi. I am pretty sure that wouldn't happen in GC. Of course the small shops can't afford the inventory, so there's the trade off - limited selection.[/quote']

I too, prefer the small shops, especially if they're family owned, and operated.

You just don't get that kind of service (and/or appreication) at a "Megastore!"

Sure, you don't generally have the selection, but small stores. providing they are

and authorized dealer for whatever brand you want, can get you anything

you want/need. So, unless it's an "impulse buy," there isn't much worry, there. And,

they usually go the extra mile, to make sure you're happy, because their business

depends on repeat customers, and "word of mouth" advertising. Even more so,

than the chain stores do.

CB

Sorry, but I have to agree with FennRX; It was a freaking $5000 guitar! I dont know about your financial situation but if it's anything like mine then a R9 is completely out of the picture. Plus, what if that guys boss comes in while he's handing you the R9, what's the boss going to think about a teenager playing their most expensive piece of merchandise? But, had it simply been a Standard or something around that, The guy probably should've let you play it.

Bizarre Guitar in Phoenix AZ.

There are 4 GC's in Phoenix, their COMBINED inventory doesn't compare to the high end guitars at Bizarre.

You MUST see this store if you ever get to Arizona, same private owner for 32 years.

Same manager for 24.

I lived in Houston for 15 years, nothing there compares.

Been to Las Vegas shopping for guitars, nothing there even came close - well maybe Ed Roman....

:-)

Makin' Music in Chicago is pretty nice but their inventory was much smaller.

There are good independent dealers out there.

Patronize them all you can.

I shudder to think of the day that GC is all there is left besides mail order.

I'm 42 years old, and I don't grab SH!T off the walls without talking to somebody first.

Common courtesy.

The young guys would do well to learn they aren't entitled to touch ANYTHING that doesn't belong to them.

Be patient, ask for assistance, you will usually be rewarded.

Still, being a kid is a handicap in any store with expensive stuff. Just the way it is.

While shopping for an amp for late night usage (tiny little amp prefferably with headphone out) I went to a store and asked the salesguy to give me a Gibson Les Paul Studio VM they had there... (dont know why, they arent the Gibson dealer for ecuador) and the idiot tells me I have to try the amp with a Squier because Im buying a cheap amp so he isnt going to let me try it with an expensive guitar that if I damage I wont be able to pay... (first and last time I went to that store).

I drove back to the studio and with the help of a friend loaded my (now) 2 Gibsons on my car, took a pedalboard and cables and drove back...

"So this is the sh¡t I inted to use that amp with, can I try it again with a propper guitar?"

Of course I didnt buy the amp, but the guy was ashamed and from the look on his face, felt very stupid and useless... needless to say from that moment on he was trying to get me to try every expensive sh¡t they had there, and I was ignoring him and testing the amp.

Of course I didnt uy it, I ended up with a Vox Pathfinder that I tested and bought yesterday when I went to pick up my shipment of eminence speakers.

Bizarre Guitar in Phoenix AZ.

There are 4 GC's in Phoenix' date=' their COMBINED inventory doesn't compare to the high end guitars at Bizarre.

You MUST see this store if you ever get to Arizona, it's been privately owned for 32 years.

Same manager for 24.

I lived in Houston for 15 years, nothing there compares.

Been to Las Vegas shopping for guitars, nothing there even came close - well maybe Ed Roman....

:-)

Makin' Music in Chicago is pretty nice but their inventory was much smaller.

There are good independent dealers out there.

Patronize them all you can.

I shudder to think of the day that GC is all there is left besides mail order.

I'm 42 years old, and I don't grab SH!T off the walls without talking to somebody first.

Common courtesy.

The young guys would do well to learn they aren't entitled to touch ANYTHING that doesn't belong to them.

Be patient, ask for assistance, you will usually be rewarded.

Still, being a kid is a handicap in any store with expensive stuff. Just the way it is.[/quote']

Neo, I'm gonna have to check out that store. Do they have a website? I don't have any local independent dealers that sell quality guitars... I walked into GC and the first thing I said to a guy (exact words) "Excuse me...umm do you mind if I uhh play some of your les pauls? Gibsons" He said " Sure, but I'll have my eye on you. Don't try to smuggle one out under your shirt" (jokingly). he did watch me the whole time. He was the first one I asked to get the R9 for me but he was too short. Then I found Smart A$$ Sasquatch who decided he didn't like me....Everyone else in the store was my height. I'm 5'10" so they were all about avg. height. The guys at my local GC know me and would let me play most of their guitars. But hey, thats life!

Sucks being a teenager' date=' right? That's just the way it is. Can you really blame them. It's their job to protect the merchandise. A kid coming into a guitar store without his or her parents isn't going to get much respect. They assume you aren't there to buy. And 999 times out of 1000 they are right.

So give me one good reason they should trust you with THEIR expensive gear? [/quote']

It really does suck, and their is no way to tell them that you are not like the rest (in some ways) without being disrespectful. But you are right....

Archived