Gibson Brands Forums

do les paul's look better with the pickguard or without it?

All of this discussion leads me to another related question. How hard do you play and how far out of the field of the strings? I mean, I feel I have a heavy picking hand and generate some intense dynamic contrasts but I don't feel that my guitars finish would be in danger with or without a PG! The guard is purely aesthetic in my view. if you're moving your hand parallel to the body and brushing strings that are raised off the body how, prey tell, are you ever hitting the body?

All of this discussion leads me to another related question. How hard do you play and how far out of the field of the strings? I mean' date=' I feel I have a heavy picking hand and generate some intense dynamic contrasts but I don't feel that my guitars finish would be in danger with or without a PG! The guard is purely aesthetic in my view. if you're moving your hand parallel to the body and brushing strings that are raised off the body how, prey tell, are you ever hitting the body? [/quote']

+1. That is what I feel about electrics. I don't beat my electrics, I usually have my pinky and ring finger resting on the body by the bridge pickup or on the pickguard in the same place if the guitar has one. When I'm strumming I don't use really wide motions, so the pick scratches really aren't an issue.

Now on the other hand, there are times that I beat the snot out of my acoustics when I play them. A lot defends on the song. I have taken some of the finish off around the bottom of the sound hole on my Martin. In fact there are are ridges around the bottom of the hole. Wow, a reliced guitar. I remember when I got it back in '80. I really babied it. I used a fairly light pick and lighter strings. I lived in North Dakota at the time so I had to be really careful with finsh cracks. I has heart broken when I got my first. It looks like a road map of the USA now. Then one of the techs at the shop I bought it at told my I should let the guitar do the work for me, that is why I bought a Martin. I bought it for the sound it produces. So I did. I haven't regretted it at all. Mine doesn't look nearly as worn as Willie's, but it definitely shows signs of wear.

As far as the original question, I prefer them with the pickguards off, though most of mine have them on. I have one LP clone with it off, but then it came that way and I am glad. I guess the hole that the PG would leave on the body bugs me, so I just leave the PG on. Funny, huh. As beat as my Maritn looks a little hole bothers me? Go figure.

I got my LP with the pick guard unattached and left it unattached. If and when the scratches become unsightly, I'll put the guard on and hide the scratches. I think the color of the PG, even though it matches the binding, is ugly on a TransCherry. So I guess color is what matters. I say leave it off until scratches are too ugly to look at.

Archived