Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Slide Player?

brad1

I was listening to some music the other night and started to think about who I thought were my favorite slide players.

Well, the list just kept growing as I thought about it. And I realized it would be very hard to pick the "best", or even the top 5. But I'm interested in who you guys like for that style of playing.

At the top of my list would be, Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule), Johnny Winter, David Gilmour, Allen Collins (Skynyrd), and of course Duane and Dickey. In no particular order.

But I think my favorite is someone who's name I bet most of you have never heard of. Rod Price. He is/was one of the guitarists in the band Foghat. I've always thought he was very good. But as I listened to him last night (Stone Blue, Debut Album, Boogie Motel) I thought to myself, this guy is absolutely GREAT! I'm sure many of you already know this, but if you haven't had the chance to hear this guy play, and you like slide, you owe it to yourself to listen to some of Foghats stuff. IMO, Lonesome Dave's vocals, and Rod Price's lead and slide guitar IS Foghat.

I could have easily named 20 more great slide players I like, but I want to hear who you guys like. And are there any other Rod Price fans out there?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the pleasure of seeing Foghat play in a small bar venue in Hawaii back in the late 80's. I wasn't up on the names of the band members so I don't know if Rod Price was playing with them or not, but they sure did put on a good show.

My list without giving it too much thought would include Duane Allman, Warren Haynes, and Johnny Winter.

I had the pleasure of seeing Foghat play in a small bar venue in Hawaii back in the late 80's. I wasn't up on the names of the band members so I don't know if Rod Price was playing with them or not' date=' but they sure did put on a good show.

My list without giving it too much though would include Duane Allman, Warren Haynes, and Johnny Winter.

[/quote']

I know he was still making albums with them in the mid- eighties, so chances are you did see him. I would have loved to been there too. BTW I lived in Hawaii from about 1970-74. My dad was stationed at Hickam AFB. I loved my time there.

I know he was still making albums with them in the mid- eighties' date=' so chances are you did see him. I would have loved to been there too. BTW I lived in Hawaii from about 1970-74. My dad was stationed at Hickam AFB. I loved my time there.[/quote']

I was stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station from 87-91. I went to Hickam a few times while I was there. I enjoyed my time on the island as well, although I spent more time on ship than actually on the island. I was Fleet Marine Force Pacific, and they kept us deployed a lot.

Anybody heard Angus work on the new Black Ice yet? Who would have ever guessed it?

Seemed a bit outta character but I think he did a great job with it. Some article I read said

the slide was plexiglas. Is plastic used much at all? Glass, various metals, ceramics, sure

but I don't recall many plastic tubes....

Wedgie

Anybody heard Angus work on the new Black Ice yet? Who would have ever guessed it?

Seemed a bit outta character but I think he did a great job with it. Some article I read said

the slide was plexiglas. Is plastic used much at all? Glass' date=' various metals, ceramics, sure

but I don't recall many plastic tubes....

Wedgie[/quote']

Hey Wedge, I may not have understood you correctly, but are you refering to the plexiglass slide as being plastic?

If so, then I just wanted to say I also have a plexiglas slide, and they are just like glass. You can't really tell a difference; except when you drop it, it doesn't break like glass. I have dropped my a few times where it hit my amp, and then to the floor. And not even a crack. I know that plexiglas is technically an acrylic plastic, but it feels, plays, and looks just like glass.

Sonny Landreth' date=' Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, Bonnie Raitt, Johnny Winter...etc. Not in any particular order..just in general.

CB[/quote']

I thought Sonny Landreth would have been mentioned earlier. Deifinitely a great slide player.

And I forgot all about Joe Walsh. Love that guys slide sound!=D>

Currently living' date=' I'm going with Derek Trucks. All time, George Harrison.[/quote']

Ahhhh yes!! George...well, I didn't mention him, not because he wasn't a wonderfully melodic

slide player, but because he did everything so tastefully, and with wonderful economy, that I

did't really consider him a "Slide" player, per se. But, he certainly was great at that..no doubt!

CB

Son House

Blind Willie Johnson

Alvin Youngblood Hart

Luther Dickinson

Lowell George

Mick Taylor

And yeah' date=' Duane Allman and Johnny Winter[/quote']

Good list, it's nice that someone finally mentioned a few of the old blues greats!

And as for the more current slide masters, what about Robbie Krieger? That's a player who had a very individual sound. Too bad he seems to have disappeared...

Archived