Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul standard better than the Gibson LP studio!

BlueLesPaul2006

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've owned 4 Epi Standards, an Epi Custom, an Epi Studio, and a Gibson Studio. I also borrowed a '75 Gibson Custom (with Duncan pups) from my other guitar player for about 3 months, with the option to buy for $1500, about the cost of a new Gibson Studio out the door. (I passed on that offer, instead buying the fake Gibson Custom for $300.) I own 2 of the Chinese fake Gibsons, the Custom and a Florentine. After changing the pickups out on the Epis to Duncans in four out of six cases, and putting Gibson pickups and tuners on the fake Custom, I would rank them in this order, from most to least favorable, by model, taking price out of the equasion:

Epi Standard

Fake Custom

'75 Gibby Custom

Epi Custom

Gibby Studio

Epi Studio

Fake Florentine

When I factor the price invested in each, the list looks like this:

Fake Custom

Epi Standard

Epi Custom

Epi Studio (only above the Gibsons because I got it as a gift. Had I paid retail, it would be just above the Florentine copy)

'75 Gibby Custom

Gibby Studio

Fake Florentine

My main reasons involve personal preference regarding sound, feel, and finish. That being said, however, I just today put an '08 Gibson LP Traditional in the Iced Tea Burst finish on layaway. Once it's out, it will probably live at the top of both lists, LOL... at least the one disregarding price for sure. I can't wait to take some pics of it, the flame on the top is amazing! Amazing enough for my cheap *** to spend $2200, LOL... 8-[

Why don't these guys just move on over to the Gibson site with their sarcastic ''humor/advice''.

That's a really good question. Do you have an answer, MarxBros. and Mr. Nelson? Why do you feel it necessary to taunt Epiphone-owners with this childish "My toys are better than your toys"? Go to the Gibson forum and swap stories about all of the great Les Pauls from the 50's you've played. It's that simple.

As for the debate about the worth of an Epiphone guitar, I think MarxBros. and Mr.Nelson are forgetting that the gear isn't half as important as how one plays it. I wish that MarxBros. and Mr.Nelson would form a (one-man?) band, so that we could enjoy their (his?) playing ability. Hitting the wrong notes sounds just as bad on a 1959 Les Paul as it does on a guitar from Sears.

Hitting the wrong notes sounds just as bad on a 1959 Les Paul as it does on a guitar from Sears.

That might be pushing it a bit... I'm pretty sure the wrong note on a '59 Paul might sound better than the RIGHT note on a guitar from Sears, LOL!

Remember kids, if you hit a wrong note, go back to it three more times in the same solo, and then claim you were using modes. Nobody without a music degree will ever argue. 8-[

That might be pushing it a bit... I'm pretty sure the wrong note on a '59 Paul might sound better than the RIGHT note on a guitar from Sears' date=' LOL!" [/quote']

Fair enough, I'm willing to test your theory: Find me a 1959 Les Paul to play, and convince Mark Knopfler to play a Sears guitar. Within about a minute you'll find out that I was right! 8-[

And by the way, I've read that Robert Johnson's guitar was from Sears. Unfortunately, he also sounds better than I do, even when I play my Martin.

Fair enough, I'm willing to test your theory: Find me a 1959 Les Paul to play, and convince Mark Knopfler to play a Sears guitar. Within about a minute you'll find out that I was right! :)

And by the way, I've read that Robert Johnson's guitar was from Sears. Unfortunately, he also sounds better than I do, even when I play my Martin.

Who is this Mark Knopfler charachter I keep hearing about on here? Wasn't he in the Dire Straits or something? 8-[

Anyway, I thought it was implied that the tonal qualites of the above mentioned right and wrong notes would be judged as played by the same person, of course... I'm pretty sure David Gilmour would sound more like David Gilmour on my fake PRS through my Mesa than I would on his Strat through his rig, but I don't know what bearing that would have on wether or not Marx and/or Nelson will ever be able to let a pro-Epi post go without being belitted. I'm willing to give it a shot though, if anybody has Dave's number...

Nice Lyrics, Twang.

I'll have to say that my Gibson Studio was a better guitar out of the box than my Epi 56 Goldtop or my Epi LP Custom Flametop for several reasons. The only thing wrong with the Gibby was that the nut was cut too high and open chords will go a few cents sharp if you press too hard. but not bad enough to file it. Everything else was pristine. The finish is impeccable, with the exception that nitro is subject to clouding, especially on the back of the neck. The 490R and 498T pickups are great. Sustain is as good as the Epis. Action is low and the frets are completely level with no work needed. All the hardware is still bright and shiny after 15 years. The only reason that I gig with Epis is that I don't have to take the Gibson out of the house to get the sound and action I want. I play the Epis and let the Gibson increase in value.

56 Goldtop reissue: Needed a fret dressing on day one. After that, great action. Nothing else was needed. The P90s that came on it are good pickups.

2005 LP Custom Flametop: Needed a fret dressing. Like the Goldtop, it had high frets around the 10th to 12th fret range. I also installed SD Pearly Gates pups and changed out the bridge for a Gotoh. Cosmetically, it needed, IMHO, a change from black pickguard to creme. If you look close, there are very minor finish color flaws where the binding meets the neck and at the neck joint. These require bright light and a sharp eye to see. It's like a stray drop of color was sanded after staining, before the poly was applied.

I got the '93 Gibby LP Studio almost half price at $525 in 1993. It listed for $978 back then and the dealer had a promotion from Gibson as well as a financial need to move some guitars. I've always considered it a steal on a great guitar. Now, Gibson is offering the Studio in several finishes, including several sunbursts. Back then, all you could get was Wine Red or Arctic White. Mine is Wine Red. I wish it were Sunburst.

Who is this Mark Knopfler charachter I keep hearing about on here? Wasn't he in the Dire Straits or something? 8-[

Anyway' date= I thought it was implied that the tonal qualites of the above mentioned right and wrong notes would be judged as played by the same person, of course... I'm pretty sure David Gilmour would sound more like David Gilmour on my fake PRS through my Mesa than I would on his Strat through his rig, but I don't know what bearing that would have on wether or not Marx and/or Nelson will ever be able to let a pro-Epi post go without being belitted. I'm willing to give it a shot though, if anybody has Dave's number...[/quote]

Huh?

This is a thread about whether an Epiphone can be better than a Gibson. In a previous post someone said: "Ah yes...one more mindless thread filled with delusional posters in search of elevating a cheap import's status." This poster is implying that an Epiphone ("cheap import") will never sound better than a Gibson.

I merely claimed that playing ability is much more crucial to the sound than the brand of the guitar being played. Yes, I think that even a "cheap" instrument can sound better than a great guitar, if the player is better.

From the look of it, some people will argue about anything...

I am coming to the conclusion that we are all wrong and must all be wrong, all of us.

Why?

Because MarxBros and Nelson say so. I quote MarxBros:-

Ah yes...one more mindless thread filled with delusional posters in search of elevating a cheap import's status.

Some of us have found Epiphones that compared favourably to their Gibson equivalents.

They felt as nice as them.

They played as well as them.

They sounded as good as them.

.....and we are all just plumb wrong.

Personally, I have played Epiphones worse than, equal to and marginally better than their Gibson equivalents. You have to root through the rack of Epi's, but there is usually a very good one in there - not ALL of them, but SOME of them.

Personally, I have played Gibsons better than, equal to or worse than their Epiphone copies. Most in the rack were better, some were equal and a few were a little worse - though all of them were a lot more expensive.

Because when you have to pay for them..... that's where - until my lottery win comes in - I would rather hunt out the best Epi I can find and pay a few hundred rather than a few thousand.

But - I am wrong. We are wrong. All of us. No Epiphone can ever be even a fraction of it's Gibson equivalent.

"Better?" When all's said and done, it only matters what you like/love!

So, IF...to YOU, the Epi (or Gibson) is better...then that's what you'll be happy with.

One can justify/rationalize just about anything, if you've a mind to.

"Quality is apparent/appreciated, LONG after the price is forgotten!" And, that's quite true....

CB

I have an Epi LP standard (upgraded everything) and Gibson LP Studio (vintage Mahogany).

The Gibson is easily my favorite...plays the best, sounds the best, feels the best in my hands (prefer the neck).

The Epi is a really nice guitar, too, and LOOKS nicer, but I prefer the Gibson when push comes to shove. or my Dot. Love my Dot.

I was just at my local guitar store and I picked up a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Don't get me wrong it is a nice guitar and worth the money $1300' date=' however, the feel of it is IMO not as good as my Epi LP Standard. This is just my opinion but I would not trade my epi LP for the Gibson LP studio. Another thing is the Gibson studio has that fat 50's style neck i think. I like the 60's style much more. I can get around a slim 60's style better. Anyway I just was wondering if anyone else felt the same about the Gibson LP Studio?[/quote']

In just glancing through this thread it seems people are more comfortable with the guitar they already own rather than the one tried at the guitar store. I think it takes a few hours for your hands to get used to a new guitar. Especially if the necks are different.

In just glancing through this thread it seems people are more comfortable with the guitar they already own rather than the one tried at the guitar store. I think it takes a few hours for your hands to get used to a new guitar. Especially if the necks are different.

True to some extent. I have 5 different guitars each feel different. I guess it was just something about that Studio that I did not like. I do agree with your statement about it takes a few hours for your hands to get used to the neck. however, just by playing it for a minute I know if I will be able to get used to it in time or if I really do not like it and never will.

My hands are classed as medium size (UK size 8.5 glove) and I just can't play a fat 50s neck with the same fluency above the 7th fret. For rythm playing it's fine, but for soloing it slows me down. I have tried perservering with a few but end up compromising my style, so I've decided no fat neck Gibsons for me. If they did a Gibson Studio with a 60s neck I'd probably look out for one....secondhand. For me, the Epi LPs with 60s necks do the job fine, once you've replaced most of the electrics.

It's always better to buy the cheapest house in the nicer neighborhood than the most expensive house in a low rent neighborhood...but don't let that stand in the way of some of you enhancing your delusional thinking with more delusions...

Mr.Nelson

According to this logic, the Gibson Melody Maker is a finer guitar than, say, an Epi Les Paul Custom with SD pups, grover tuners and upgraded electronics.

Yeah,right.

Maybe the name "Gibson" on the headstock produces a magic tone of some sort that makes even a cheap, paper thin melody maker sound better than a top of the line Epiphone.

I try not to let the brand name influence my own, personal evaluation of tone and playability. I own Gibsons and Epiphones, and while I do consider Gibsons to be quality instruments I can find flaws in both Epis and Gibsons if I look hard enough.

The bottom line here is simple. Guitars are artistic instruments and the entire subject of tone and playability is subjective and a matter of personal taste. If a poster here believes the Epi sounds better, then the Epi DOES sound better for the particular person, it's a matter of fact, it's his or her call to make and not anybody else's.

Guest alanhindle

I would say that's a fair comment in general, but it wasn't my experience.

I liked the feel of the neck on the Gibson LP Studio and the pickups were definitely superior to my Epi LP Standard. What put me off the the Gibby, however, was the poor finish and the tinny unplugged sound.

I'm glad that Dave, above, got himself a good one. I very much like the neck, sound, pickups and finish on my Gibson SG faded too.

According to this logic' date=' the Gibson Melody Maker is a finer guitar than, say, an Epi Les Paul Custom with SD pups, grover tuners and upgraded electronics.

Yeah,right.

Maybe the name "Gibson" on the headstock produces a magic tone of some sort that makes even a cheap, paper thin melody maker sound better than a top of the line Epiphone.

I try not to let the brand name influence my own, personal evaluation of tone and playability. I own Gibsons and Epiphones, and while I do consider Gibsons to be quality instruments I can find flaws in both Epis and Gibsons if I look hard enough.

The bottom line here is simple. Guitars are artistic instruments and the entire subject of tone and playability is subjective and a matter of personal taste. If a poster here believes the Epi sounds better, then the Epi DOES sound better for the particular person, it's a matter of fact, it's his or her call to make and not anybody else's.

[/quote']

If you asked me , today, at this very moment, did I want a Gibson Melody Maker or an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a basket full of Seymour Duncans and a boat load of Grovers... I'd take the Melody Maker without hesitation..

edit:

.you meant an old Melody Maker...right?

Mr.Nelson

According to this logic' date=' the Gibson Melody Maker is a finer guitar than, say, an Epi Les Paul Custom with SD pups, grover tuners and upgraded electronics.

Yeah,right.

[/quote']

my daughter has the white wash Gibson melody maker, and it's very nice playing guitar, definately a bargain for $380

She chose it over over Epi Les Paul and a fender strat..... She is still deciding on pup for it...

Archived