Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Blues Guitar Tone

charlie brown

For me the Fender Stratocaster but i like the others also.

Peter

With the Strat, do you like the bridge, middle, neck...or those midway tones,

the best? Seems a lot of players prefer the middle or neck pickup, for "blues,"

and some the "in-between" (2nd or 4th position, on a 5-way switch).

CB

Arrrggghhh...I want to say the SG, because I think they are too often typified as rock guitars, and are overlooked by blues players in favor of the Les Paul.

But, hand on heart:

A thinline semi (335 or similar) into a hot Fender tube amp.

Kind of like this guy:

king-freddie_thebeat1966DVD.jpg

Best thing about blues - ain't no special gear required - more about feeling and touch and about rhythm and finding the groove than what kinda lumber ya got in your hands.

For me, the last couple of years I have spent alot more time with an old Gibson SJ and this one here - 1930s Kay Kraft "Venetian" in my hands than anything else.

TRICCASE005.jpg

On the electric side will stick with what has served me well for alot of decades

Telecaster (battle-scarred early 1958)

1958Tele.jpg

plugged straight into a narrow panel tweed amp (1955 Twin-Amp - cab restored by Greg Hopkins)

55Twin-1.jpg

Count me the 1st Les Paul vote...

Never a blues purist, blues-rock is where my favorite tones are found --- CCR, Page, Cream, etc.

It is a harder-driving groove, but it still has a groove --- that to my ears goes away with strat/tele/SG tone.

Of course, electric blues purists will insist on 335 style for that added hollow/twangy thing.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

CB, i like the bite of the bridge pickup and the warmth and woodiness of the neck pickup.

The middle pickup for rhythm/lead sounds and the in-between positions for anything like

Mark knopfler to Buddy Guy. It's just so versatile, more then any other guitar imo.

Just listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan using all 5 switch options, sometimes in one solo.

Count me the 1st Les Paul vote...

Never a blues purist' date=' blues-rock is where my favorite tones are found --- CCR, Page, Cream, etc.

It is a harder-driving groove, but it still has a groove --- that to my ears goes away with strat/tele/SG tone.

Of course, electric blues purists will insist on 335 style for that added hollow/twangy thing.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I will second that notion

Best thing about blues - ain't no special gear required - more about feeling and touch and about rhythm and finding the groove than what kinda lumber ya got in your hands.

For me' date=' the last couple of years I have spent alot more time with an old Gibson SJ and this one here - 1930s Kay Kraft "Venetian" in my hands than anything else.

[img']http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/zombywoof51/TRICCASE005.jpg[/img]

On the electric side will stick with what has served me well for alot of decades

Telecaster (battle-scarred early 1958)

1958Tele.jpg

plugged straight into a narrow panel tweed amp (1955 Twin-Amp - cab restored by Greg Hopkins)

55Twin-1.jpg

Agreed! And, you've got some FUN gear, there, as well! Cool!

CB

C.B.

I got to admit you come up with some interesting questions.

When it comes to sound I don't have a favorite. (sort of like favorite song) If you mean to listen to, everything has

it's place. If you mean when I play, everything has it's place.

I do the best I can with what I am working with. It could be playing an old record or me picking up a buddy's new

guitar.

Sometimes it's dark like an old Gibson alone in an alley. Other times it could be the twang of a Tele in Hillbilly

heaven. I love the high pitch open sound of a Strat. All of these can and have been used for "Blues".

I really wish I could offer a more concise or definitive answer.

For me, I guess when it comes down to it (year by year, day by day, moment by moment and song by song)

Sometimes the magic works..and..sometimes it don't.

I voted LP' date=' because it's what I'm playing with, most of the time, but as say MarxBros, It's a lot more the playing than the guitar. I would play Blues with wathever I would put my hands on...it's a matter of soul ![/quote']

Yeah, I agree...but was just trying to find out, if the IS any preferences, and why...from just a guitar

sound/tone/playability factor...given that "the Blues" is in the heart/soul, etc. Some seem to prefer LP's,

other's Strats, other's semi's...

I too, can/will play "the blues" on any guitar I have. But, there's something about a Semi's warmth,

that captures it, most, for me. Although...I have to say, I've managed some serious "Lucille" like tones,

out of my Telecaster, given the right amp and guitar tone/volume settings. So...??? LOL!

CB

There are so many "sub-categorys" of The Blues, that it's really no easy call (and response).

for some, it's definitely gotta be my old dreadnaught acoustic.

for others, its my Sheraton II

my Tele can really wail some Blues too.

surprisingly, my V-Factor (played just at the OD breakpoint) puts out GREAT "juke joint" tones.

the GLP & G400 can sound very "Bluesy" when the tone is rolled off juuuuuuust a touch too.

like I said, no easy answer.

There are so many "sub-categorys" of The Blues' date=' that it's really no easy call (and response).

for some, it's definitely gotta be my old dreadnaught acoustic.

for others, its my Sheraton II

my Tele can really wail some Blues too.

surprisingly, my V-Factor (played just at the OD breakpoint) puts out GREAT "juke joint" tones.

the GLP & G400 can sound very "Bluesy" when the tone is rolled off juuuuuuust a touch too.

like I said, no easy answer.[/quote']

LOL...nice (blues) reference, there Bender "Call and Response"... ;>)

CB

I completely agree with what is being said about the blues being played on any guitar whatsoever, but for me, my favourite blues tone would have to be BB Kings 335. I know it's all about the player being more important, but I don't think that BB would sound the same if you gave him a Les Paul or a Strat.

I had to go with the strat. Although many of you already have stated that it really depends on what sub-category of blues you're playing. Therefore, I gave my answer based on the thought "If I only had one guitar and only played blues which would it be?" My answer - Strat.

My favorite position is the 4th (middle & neck) and the neck alone. Although, I have been considering wiring the middle position to run all 3 single coils together... been curious about the sound. My middle position currently gives me the single coil bridge and neck pup.

My current favorite Les Paul blues sound come from Joe Bonamassa - love that tone.

Archived