Gibson Brands Forums

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Billy Powell has passed away...

charlie brown

The guy could really play those keys.

I don't know if everybody know this, but I read that he started out as a roadie for the band. Ronnie wanted Freebird to have a piano intro in it. He soon found out that Billy had one already made. The band liked it so much, they asked him if he wanted to be in the band. The rest is history.

RIP Billy.

Roadie roots or not he was a cornerstone of the LS band, for sure. Really added an extra and intense layer to the music.

Gary may be the only original member but Rickey Medlock supposedly played with them very early on and his father or grandfather, "Shorty Medlock" was a great mentor of the guys very early on. Pretty sure Ricky Medlock was close to an original member or was definitely playing with them in the begining even if he wasn't a full member. I know they called on him later and his band wasn't happy at all when he joined back up with LS, they were possiblly on the verge of making it big; I think the band was called Blackfoot, something like that. Rickey Medlock, I think, does a real great job of striving to emulate the vibe of the original band and with his background probably no one could do it with such originality and enthusiasm. Also, some of the singing wemon are original members or close to it I believe, very close to it. Just like Medlock.

It is a sad day and I'm more in touch with my emotions since my two cancer operations, not too long back. I feel my emotions on the surface way more now and believe me I'm feeling them now.

Isn't it Gary that had open heart surgery with multiple bypass?

If you ever get a chance to see them again it is something not to take lightly; not trying to sound bossy, just serious. Man, I hope I get a chance to see them, even though it is the persisting version. Might have to travel to get to catch a show.

Truly a sad day.

Duffy

Although not a great expert or historian on LS, I love the band and have been worrying that any concert tour might bet their last and I've never seen them live, even though I'm from that generation and had most of there tapes. Possibly my favorite song is "Tuesdays Gone". I'm praying for his soul, which he certainly had, no question there.

I spent the better part of my youth comping Billy Powell's piano chops. I used to play in alot of Southern rock bands. He was very influential in the way I developed playing keys in rock bands. My favorite songs were"The Breeze" and " I know a little". Its tough to loose your heros...thankfully the music lives on. He will be so missed.

I know Ed King had some heart surgery and was not brought back into the band after recovering, was actually when they brought Ricky Medlocke into the band as a official member, at first to replace Ed while he recovered, and then when they did not bring Ed back replaced him officially. Ricky was recording in the studio at the same time Skynyrd was and ended up on a few songs that were on the First and Last album. Rossington's wife(Dale Krantz) was a backup singer for 38 special.

Roadie roots or not he was a cornerstone of the LS band' date=' for sure. Really added an extra and intense layer to the music.

Gary may be the only original member but Rickey Medlock supposedly played with them very early on and his father or grandfather, "Shorty Medlock" was a great mentor of the guys very early on. Pretty sure Ricky Medlock was close to an original member or was definitely playing with them in the begining even if he wasn't a full member. I know they called on him later and his band wasn't happy at all when he joined back up with LS, they were possiblly on the verge of making it big; I think the band was called Blackfoot, something like that. Rickey Medlock, I think, does a real great job of striving to emulate the vibe of the original band and with his background probably no one could do it with such originality and enthusiasm. Also, some of the singing wemon are original members or close to it I believe, very close to it. Just like Medlock.

It is a sad day and I'm more in touch with my emotions since my two cancer operations, not too long back. I feel my emotions on the surface way more now and believe me I'm feeling them now.

Isn't it Gary that had open heart surgery with multiple bypass?

If you ever get a chance to see them again it is something not to take lightly; not trying to sound bossy, just serious. Man, I hope I get a chance to see them, even though it is the persisting version. Might have to travel to get to catch a show.

Truly a sad day.

Duffy

Although not a great expert or historian on LS, I love the band and have been worrying that any concert tour might bet their last and I've never seen them live, even though I'm from that generation and had most of there tapes. Possibly my favorite song is "Tuesdays Gone". I'm praying for his soul, which he certainly had, no question there.[/quote']

What? I wasn't putting him down at all! Which is exactly what you were implying with your "Roadie roots or not" comment. I was just relaying an interesting story that I thought others might like to hear.

Did you read anything else I wrote? Like the very first sentence???

Man, I can't believe how many people around here constantly infer whatever they want from someone's post.

It's as though you only read one part, and didn't see anything else.

And BTW, Ricky Medlocke was one of the original drummers in the band. He left to play guitar in his own band, Blackfoot. He did not replace Ed King. He never played guitar with them in the beginning at all.I also have read an interview with Ed King. He said he wanted to leave the band.

Brad, it was my understanding that Ricky replaced Ed in 1996.. In 1970 he recorded with Skynyrd doing some vocals and drums in those sessions, I had never heard he was a full fledged member at that time, my mistake if he was. I am not here to argue, just was posting some info in a condolences thread.. Sorry if my stuff was offensive or argumentive, wasn't meant to be....

Emetry,

If you haven't sat down and listen to them much...grab a sit down and enjoy about 2 hours of some of the best southern rock you will ever hear. I never got a chance to go see them, just bad timing when they came near. Damn sure watched for every new record they had coming out.

Curtis Lowe, Simple Man, Swamp Music, Down South Jukin', I know a little, and Wiskey Rock-n-Roller are just a few of thier songs that will go on forever...well besides "FREEBIRD!!" and Sweet home Alabama.

I heard about Billy on the radio while I was out picking up my step daughter at school...truly sad to hear about his death.

RIP Billy

Capt

Brad. Sorry Brad, my apology. I wasn't implying that you or I were trying to put him down.

This is not a time to argue.

You read something into my post that didn't exist: I wouldn't suppose that any other members of the band came from roadie roots, he "made it", he came up from being a roadie, doing loadouts, carrying heavy equipment around, stuff like that, to become one of the most famous band members in the history of rock and roll, no question.

This is an achievement that is incredible and certainly woven into the history of LS and even more so into the mystery of life and an example of how some people have risen to heights of their music endeavors that they never, in their wildest dreams, thought would ever even be possible. The man was a success and was loved by so many of us. He is an example of a guy that started at the bottom and reached the top; that's commendable in my opinion and that's why I said that. Definitely not a put down and I hope no one else feels that it was.

I thought your post was so informative! I didn't know. I found out from you. When you read the rest of my post couldn't you sense my sympathy for you and the rest of us? And our love for the band? It's not about me or you and a put down, definitely not.

It would be a terrible insult to put him down, upon his death. Neither of us meant to do that, as we all know.

Peace brother, we all miss him that loved his music and loved LS.

Apology repeated. I can understand your sensitivity at a time like this. I'm sorry you took it wrong. I am just expressing my condolences as well, and shock, and sadness, for a great person.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

Again Brad, my appology. Wasn't meant as a put down by you or me.

Here is a quote I found from another forum, you all might find interesting.

Quote:

Not that old either.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Billy Powell, the original keyboard player with

the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, died early Wednesday at his

Orange Park home.

Powell was 56.

Orange Park police said Powell called 911 just before 1 a.m.

complaining of difficulty breathing. Paramedics found him in his

bedroom responsive.

Ross Schilling, a publicist with Vector Management, said they believe

Powell suffered a heart attack, but an autopsy will be conducted to

determine his cause of death.

Orange Park police told Channel 4 Powell had an appointment with his

cardiologist on Tuesday, but he did not go.

Powell moved to Jacksonville as a child and attended Bishop Kenny

High School, where he met Leon Wilkenson, future bass player for

Skynyrd. He originally joined the band in the early '70s as a roadie.

Before a gig playing at the The Bolles School prom, he sat down at

the piano and impressed lead singer Ronnie Van Zant enough to be

invited to join the band as its keyboard player.

Skynyrd went on to sign a national recording contract and become the

best-selling southern rock band in history.

In 1977, Van Zant, along guitarist Steve Gaines and his sister and

backup vocalist Cassie Gaines and assistant road manager Dean

Kilpatrick were killed when the band's chartered plane crashed in

Mississippi.

Powell suffered facial injuries in the crash, but eventually

recovered. He was the only band member well enough to attend the

funerals of those killed in the crash.

In 1987, Powell rejoined Skynyrd for a tribute tour and has toured

with the band ever since. He and guitarist Gary Rossington were the

only two original band members who continued to record and tour with

the band.

Unquote.

Duffy

I'm sorry to hear about this, especially for Skynrd fans. It's always a tragedy when we lose someone who has touched as many lives as a longtime professional musician of this caliber has... This must hurt you guys as much as the loss of Richard Wright (of Pink Floyd) hurt me a few months ago. I was never a fan of Skynrd, but I do like the Ballad of Curtis Loew... May Mr. Powell rest in peace. 8-[

Sorry to hear of his passing. I saw them at the Philadelphia JFK Stadium in 1976 with Dickey Betts and The Great Southern Band, Jake Geils Band and Peter Frampton (many LS fans boo'd at him). This was before the plane crash. Eveyone screamed for them to play Freebird, myself included. Though I probably couldn't endure to hear that endless three chord song now. Sweet Home Alabama is my favorite though - damn good guitar picking.

Alex

Rest In Peace

I feel much the same way about this as I felt years ago, when chuck berry quit using johnny johnsons piano on his recordings.

something was missing. something special.

for all the great guitar work in the great songs LS and CB made.. that piano... boy how that made it all seem so right and so

perfect.

after all the tragedy that's affected LS it's sadder still to have this guy leave so early.

If there's a rock n roll heaven.....

TWANG

Archived