Gibson Brands Forums

Korean Epis

sledge57

Ok so the general opinion is that Korean Epis were a bit better than the Chinese ones. Since they don't make Epis there anymore, what happened to those plants? Are they making guitars for other makers? It seems everyone has a Korean line of guitars available.

Just curious, I've heard mention and saw a pic once of a "Samick" guitar, looked just like an Epi, guessing the same plant made it.

Yeah, most are making other brands of guitars, just as they did, when the made Epi's, right along side them.

I hope everyone (including your's truely) is wrong about "Chinese" Epi's, and that it's just "growing pains?"

But, it sure seems like it's really inconsistant, lately. And, taking a long time to get "adjusted?!"

Again, it May be perception, rather than fact...hard to tell with only "our" posts/evaluations, compared to the

numbers being sold. But, time will tell...

CB

I just can't believe a factory that makes/made guitars for 4 or 5 different companies (plus for themselves) get so much "they are better" chatter.

I do have a Korean (U) made WildKat...she does play sweet! I also have a LP Studio made in China (EE) and it plays as good or better than any of the other 3 factory LPs I had tried before buying it.

Samick is still building guitars for a couple companies I believe, and making a dent in the market with thier own line of guitars ( Tele , Strat , LP, LP double cuts, SG, Flying Vs, semi hollow, hollow, and acoustic models) most with the Greg Bennett signature on them.

So if you like the Samick made guitars...there you go...any style you could want almost, and from the factory a few of you seem to like so much..lol

Capt

ps...ok waiting for fallout on this one, so got my shovel and sh!t-waders on!

I thought my Sheraton was Chinese for a couple years 'cos of all the problems it had: poorly installed bridge, intonation out of wack, squeaky nut...then I ran the serial and found it was an Unsung Korean from '06.

My Chinese Epi Blues Custom 30 however kicks major ***.

And my Indonesian Wildkat is top of the pride-relagating a US Gib LP to back up-not to mention 2 other Gibsons, a US Fender, and a US ASAT, all of which for the money paid should be "better" then the Kat.

It's a total crapshoot.

Ok so the general opinion is that Korean Epis were a bit better than the Chinese ones. Since they don't make Epis there anymore' date=' what happened to those plants? Are they making guitars for other makers? It seems everyone has a Korean line of guitars available.

Just curious, I've heard mention and saw a pic once of a "Samick" guitar, looked just like an Epi, guessing the same plant made it.[/quote']

I just bought an '08 Riviera that was made in Korea; it could be they're not making solid bodies there anymore, but it appears the semis and hollowbodies still are.

funny.i rember gene simmonds of saying he bought a 200 dollar yamaha bass from a pawn brokers cant remember what album he used it on but he just loved the sound of the thing..for me ive got 2 eppis made in korea and couldnt be happier with them..nearly bought onther the other day..

I just bought an '08 Riviera that was made in Korea; it could be they're not making solid bodies there anymore' date=' but it appears the semis and hollowbodies still are.[/quote']

Where did you find the Riviera? I have been looking for any store that might have a new leftover, but have had no luck. The 3 pup from China looks good, but I am still holding judgement before purchasing.

This may have been mentioned earlier. There are still good guitars made in Korea. The Agiles, the PRS line of non-US guitars are made in Korea, as are the imported D'Angelico. I'm pretty sure that Dean and Washburn use Korea for their imports. The Chinese guitars appear to be Epiphone, Ibanez, and Hagstrom, to name a few.

Where did you find the Riviera? I have been looking for any store that might have a new leftover' date=' but have had no luck. The 3 pup from China looks good, but I am still holding judgement before purchasing.[/quote']

I bought it at Long & McQuade outside of Toronto. L&M are the sole distributors for Gibson in Canada so they seem to always have a good selection, often of hard-to-find models. However I didn't plan on buying a guitar when I went in the store:-s It just seduced me into taking it home. I think it had just come in. Very nice guitar; mine has Gibson P94s in it, which are sweet pickups.

Archived