Gibson Brands Forums

Repair costs

SlagJones

In what kind of guitar? Tightening the pot is a DIY job - pull the knob off, turn the control

to zero and holding the shaft (so the whole thing doesn't spin), tighten the nut. The labor

for the jack will probably be higher for a semihollow/hollow. Don't know "luthier" prices

because I do this stuff myself.

No, no, no! do it yourself!!!! Output jack, remove the screws holding it to the side of the

guitar, gently pull plate torwards you (should be slack in wires), look. TWO wires to unsolder

and resolder. Nut on outside of plate unscrews, jack slips out, new jack goes in, new nut

rescrews, then you unsolder wires from old jack one at a time, resolder to new jack in same

places you removed from. Of course, be sure to "tin" the new jack terminals before soldering

the wires back on. Soldering Iron at home depot with CHISEL tip, $19.99. OR borrow one even

if it only has pointy tip, just a bit more of a pain, borrow/buy some 60/40 solder, too. And a

Radioshack has both if you don't want to mess with home depot.(which may or may not have

solder). It's an EASY job, research "how to replace jack on guitar" online, save $$$, and

NOW you'll have the soldering stuuff when you get bold enough to start replacing Pick-ups,

pots, etc.

*L*

Charlie might have a point. man it gets cold up here.

funny though.. we had one snowy winter.. the first one when we moved up.. but since then.. the snowblower just sits there.

Half the fun brad is seeing people learn how to do stuff for themselves.

I'd rather make friends than customers out of people.

Of course, that's probably why my shop is so dinky.

Oh well, it was dinky when I started.

TWANG

Archived