Gibson Brands Forums

"brrrrrrrrrupppp!"

InsideMan

Lately, I've found myself gassing for a Strat. Imagine my surprise. I've been a Gibson man for almost 40 years but have recently realized how truly versatile the old Strat is.

Imagine my other surprise to learn from another thread just how many members of the forum appreciate the Strat! Wow! This is group that has to have some expertise and opinions on this subject.

I find myself drawn to a sunburst or natural (GOT to see the wood!) maple fingerboard hardtail. But I'm having trouble finding all this in an affordable (yes, I'm a Scot) model.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

PS- John Mayer plays a couple of Strats in the concert film "Where the Light Is". He is an remarkable guitarist (even though he is waiting for the world to change, rather than doing something about it--LOL). One of the Strats he plays is a right-handed guitar with a left-handed neck! (Put me in mind of the Gibsons with the reverse headstocks.) Was this a production model or something he commissioned? Thanks.

Lately' date=' I've found myself gassing for a Strat. Imagine my surprise. I've been a Gibson man for almost 40 years but have recently realized how truly versatile the old Strat is.

Imagine my other surprise to learn from another thread just how many members of the forum appreciate the Strat! Wow! This is group that has to have some expertise and opinions on this subject.

I find myself drawn to a sunburst or natural (GOT to see the wood!) maple fingerboard hardtail. But I'm having trouble finding all this in an affordable (yes, I'm a Scot) model.

Do you guys have any suggestions? [/quote']

The hardtail is the hard part. You could do what Clapton does, block off the trem like this:

356655295.jpg

Some people (like EC) feel that a true hartail lacks some of the Strat mojo, they feel the rear routing and the springs are an important element in the tone of the guitar.

Sounds like the best idea would be to track down one of the Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocasters:

268324.jpg

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0137000321

...because that will get you your natural finish, but they are pricey these days ($940).

Then block the trem like jerry said (above).

"Blocked" Strats sound quite different to true hard-tails. It shows how much difference the routing for the trem contributes to the classic Strat tone.

The Classic series are nice guitars, but if you are happy with a sunburst rather than a natural then you have many more options.

People seem to be raving about the Squier Classic Vibe guitars, and they are cheap ($349):

553696.jpg

And I've yet to meet a disappointed owner of a Player's Deluxe model ($799):

325067.jpg

Or there's your good old Mexican Standard Strat ($500 +)

576835.jpg

EDIT:

Yeah, Mayer was playing that Strat when I saw him live in Raleigh a couple of years ago. It's a Hendrix Woodstock special edition, I think. Fender Custom Shop.

There has only been one fender strat I just thought was a great guitar and it was the 25th Anniversary model... It had the most beautiful pearl white paint job I had ever seen.

Anywhoo, when I was at the Pasadena GC I tried one of the newer ones, and it looked like it was aged/relic.... Didn't get a warm feeling from it at all.

There has only been one fender strat I just thought was a great guitar and it was the 25th Anniversary model... It had the most beautiful pearl white paint job I had ever seen.

Anywhoo' date=' when I was at the Pasadena GC I tried one of the newer ones, and it looked like it was aged/relic.... Didn't get a warm feeling from it at all.

[/quote']

I also tried a couple of the new "Road Worn's" at my local GC and was less than thrilled . I tried a Tele and a Strat and came to the conclusion that they look cool but not $949.00 cool.

mgm

I also tried a couple of the new "Road Worn's" at my local GC and was less than thrilled . I tried a Tele and a Strat and came to the conclusion that they look cool but not $949.00 cool. mgm

I don't mind "relic'd" guitars' date=' providing "I" did the relicing...by playing the #$%@ out of it! But, this

pre-fabbed "relicing" is mindless marketing, directed at kids [b']who can't wait for anything[/b], much less

the time and effort it takes, to do that relic bit, "naturally." And, then...for these companies to double

the price (in some instances) to make it look like crap, is beyond the pale, IMHO. But, they'll probably sell a

bunch of them...

CB

I'm with you CB, I'm not all feeling the relic-ing fad... If you look at my old guitars that I have, they have very very few dings or scratches. Even my 72 SG that I've owned since I was 10 is still in perfect condition.

Well, not easy to say without knowing your budget but they're are alot of choices out there. You can order a " Bolt " ( Strat copy ) from Carvin to your specs and is actually quite affordable. You could get the natural finish AND the hardtail set-up and have a custom guitar for less money than a off the shelf Fender.

Raven west also makes a Strat copy that gets pretty good reviews. Heres a link to it.

http://www.ravenwestguitar.com/k2590tcrsflame1.html

This is the one I've been wishing for - the Robert Cray model. It comes in 3-color sunburst, and has a hard tail. It's a rosewood fingerboard though, neck is maple, not entirely out of reach price-wise at around $870 (at Sam Ash) . . . maybe you can reconsider the fretboard.

Fender link: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0139100324

Sam Ash.com link: Sam Ash link

F91003_lg.jpg

I'll add my thumbs up to the Deluxe Player's Strat. Pohatu also owns one except his has a rosewood neck while I went with the maple. It's a great playing guitar and the noisless pickups along with the push-button really do give you a load of sound options to work with.

I was not crazy about the floating bridge, however. It was so loose and unstable that any deep bend (with the fingers ... not the bar) would pull other strings out of tune. Two more springs did the trick! Solid as a rock and I still have the use of the trem if I want it!

Jim

SANY0049.jpg

This is the one I've been wishing for - the Robert Cray model. It comes in 3-color sunburst' date=' and has a hard tail. It's a rosewood fingerboard though, neck is maple, not entirely out of reach price-wise at around $870 (at Sam Ash) . . . maybe you can reconsider the fretboard.[/quote']

Since I've been looking, I can clue you in on this one. Here is a silver Robert Cray at Elderly for 575. I was tempted to go with this myself. Cheers.

I had never played a strat before until I got my Fender Squier. I found it in a pawn shop for $50.00. Now I know its a squier but after tightening the machine heads, changing the strings, putting a nut on the input jack its great. Its really smooth and the neck feels good. So if you are looking for something affordable I'd go look for a used squire. If its got to be a Fender strat then I'd go look for a used one of those. I'm just saying you can find them cheap and if you see a squier, try it. You might be surprised. Thats the best $50 bucks I have ever spent on a guitar. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Anyway, like I said. the gas was terrible! I had to do something to relieve it. So I went down to the local Guitar Center after looking at everybody's suggestions and researching on the web. At GC, I found a used Mexican Strat for $400. It was in pristine shape. I'm not sure where it fits in the Strat hierarchy-it really looks like a 3-tone vintage sunburst. The body is fairly light and there is even some birdseye/burl/whatever in the wood. Anyway it looks great and plays great.

So, I had to forgo the maple fingerboard and the hard tail, but I think I got a bargain. I got them to throw in a gig bag and tremolo bar (since it was used, it didn't include these) and an extra spring. They were very helpful and eager to make the sale.

I have always believed that talk is cheap, so here are some pics. (I apologize for the quality, they were taken with my cell phone--my wife is off elsewhere with the camera.)

StratFront2.jpg

StratFrontClose.jpg

StratHeadstock.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for the input and encouragement. Cheers.

Since I've been looking' date=' I can clue you in on this one. Here is a silver Robert Cray at Elderly for 575. I was tempted to go with this myself. Cheers.

Oh maaan I want it soooo bad - lol. Have to wait until the cash flow is better tho = / Plus I want a new one in 3 color sunburst - worth the wait for me but thank you for showing this, looks like a hell of a deal! ;)

IM the strat you ended up with is a beauty - the extra spring should help keep you in tune. It's a great deal at $400! ;)

The hardtail is the hard part. You could do what Clapton does' date=' block off the trem . . .

[/quote']

Missed this somehow Jerry, very interesting notion. I might try this if/when I end up getting a strat because I'm not entirely sold on the PUP's in the Robert Cray model - thanks for the insight! :)

HNGD, got a good deal there. I found that little something extra that may make up for your lack of a maple fretboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Custom-Wood-Stratocaster-Guitar-Pickup-Cover-Knob-Set_W0QQitemZ320333849712QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item320333849712&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Have a ball and post your apraisal when you've had a good play with it.

Update -

Research on my new Strat's serial number at guitardaterproject.org reveals that it was made in the Ensenada Plant between 2000 and 2001. That amazes me because, as I said, the guitar is flawless. I wouldn't have pegged it as an 8 or 9 year old guitar. It surely was a closet case--that is, kept in someone's closet in a case.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it. Cheers.

I have owned 3 Strats (1 MIJ and 2 MIM's). I was very impressed with the versatility and playability of these guitars. Strats have a very distinct sound and purpose - "not everything that quacks is a duck"...it could be a Strat! Just as Tele's have a signature sound (James Burton, Albert Collins, etc.), Strats have an unmistakable vibe of their own (Hendrix, SRV, Buddy Guy, etc.). For MY tastes and purposes at this stage in my life, I am very happy to have returned to my Gibson/Epi roots. A good P90 or mini-HB gets me as close to the "other camp" as I really need to go.

I started on a Squier Strat, and moved on to an American Standard in the late 80's. I've still got both of them. I lean toward hollow/semi-hollow body guitars now, but everytime I pick up my Strats, they feel like old friends. They simply "chime". I totally agree with Bluesman345, there is a time and place for the Strat sound. When a song calls for it, there is nothing better than a Strat. I just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Congrats on the the new guitar. She's beautiful!

Dylan

Archived