Gibson Brands Forums

Project Guitar

Gordy01

I finally ordered the body and neck for my project guitar!!

It should be here in a couple of weeks. It generally takes that long to get things ordered from the US, here in Canada. :-(

I will keep you updated with as many pics as I can. Might be a while before I order more parts. No money. :-(

It's not an Epi, but it should be interesting.

So what is it if not an Epi?

Agreed!!! The bottom line is to learn how and pass on info!

I recently re-did a Dean using info I picked up here, was so

inspired by the results that I purchased an unwanted 70's hondo II LP

Copy for 30.00, and have started another refinish in thread in lounge called

Guitar Refinishing 101, and am still learning from input for forum

members - the more I learn, the more advanced my projects will

become. I can say I would NOT have tried out these "baby steps"

for refinishing on an EPI for fear of totally FUBARING a decent git!!!!

wrong forum mate.
Who pulled your chain?

Unless you are a moderator you have no right making that call. Brands other than Epi are often discussed on this forum' date=' there are many aspects to any functioning guitar that are common across all brands. If it's something that may be of interest to others, whether a question, answer or indeed a whole thread, there has never, since I've been a member anyway, been censorship based on brand.

As [i']animalfarm[/i] mentions, it's the information that's important.

Most members here also have guitars of brands other than Epiphone, are they supposed to pretend they don't exist when they're on this forum.

I know this is the Epiphone forum. I also know we talk about our "Other Guitars" quite a bit.

The project I am starting is to build a Tele, from parts.

I bought a neck, and body from GFS. Thought it might be intersting for some guys.

I will take pics along the way and post them when I have something that makes sense.

I too, would not have taken on this project without the knowledge and support of the guys on this forum.

I was looking at the GFS Teles the other day, and thought it'd be a great project. I'm glad I sold my Squier Tele recently, but I do miss having something to play slide on. Did you go for one of their kits, or a finished body and neck?

I quite like the Tele bodies they offer with a flamed top and binding. I do love a Tele with binding.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/litestboflma1.html

I just wish they offered a thinline body too, then I'd be in like a shot!

Their unfinished necks are a great price too.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/unroststnepa.html

What does it take to finish a neck? Some clear/polyurethane? What about the rosewood fingerboard? I like the unfinished neck because you can cut the headstock to the correct Fender shape, I hate incorrect headstocks.

I went for the Vintage Sunburst color. Obvious by my avatar I like the sunbursts!!

I think it's going to look really nice when complete.

Also went with the Vintage Amber maple neck.

For a few bucks more I get the finished neck.

I haven't picked out any pickups yet, but I was thinking I might go with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.

Look like a single coil, but are a humbucker.

Probably going to split them as they have a 4 wire lead.

It should be an interesting project.

BE CAREFUL if you are buying these new bodies.

SOME of them DO NOT ACCEPT standard measurement bridges.

You have to read the info for each one.

gord, keep us updated as u start the project. i have been waiting on someone to try gfs body and neck kits. did u buy components from gfs or or u getting from others like stewmac?

I noticed that before I chimed in, there were more posters from outside the US than from in it, even though it is not an internationaly oriented thread. I still wonder at the "democracy" of the internet with all ages and countries represented on these forums. I just wonder if there are some gals posting also who choose not to reveal that they are not guys. Or do they just not get into the "stuff" of guitars that much? :-

I'm outa cash right now, so I haven't ordered any more that the body and neck.

As soon as I can, I'll probably order some components from GFS. Might be a month or so.

I will definitely post pics all the way through.

I think most of the parts except tuners, pots, strap knobs, and pickups will come from GFS.

I've been thinking about GFS pickups......

Still kinda stuck on Seymour Hot Rails though.

I noticed that before I chimed in' date=' there were more posters from outside the US than from in it, even though it is not an internationaly oriented thread. I still wonder at the "democracy" of the internet with all ages and countries represented on these forums. I just wonder if there are some gals posting also who choose not to reveal that they are not guys. Or do they just not get into the "stuff" of guitars that much? =P~ [/quote']

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot!

Heads up! Fly ball to field...

Archived