Gibson Brands Forums

Any modded Wildkats out there?

Ricochet

Screw Santa...erm Satan. This is the plan:

Replace the B70 with a B3.

Fit a Compton bridge.

Replace the chrome P90 covers with some black ones.

Possibly replace pickups alltogether. maybe filtertrons

Replace black/chrome reflectors with something else. Gretsch arrows or chrome domes.

Fit a short b/w/b 335-style pickguard.

Maybe fit some Sperzels.

Remove the silly plastic switchplate(what, I can't play solos with the neck PU?)

Fit new nut.

Filtertrons (either the Gretsch High Sensitivity ones or the TV Jones versions) are low output humbuckers that have a distinctly smaller footprint than the dogear P-90's, so some sort of surround ring would be needed to cover the routs on a Wildkat.

The only mods I did to mine are the pearl-capped knobs, which I think look classier on the 'Kat (and also recap the fingerboard dots). I'm quite happy with the sound of mine, so I'm not planning any further mods. Here 'tis:

Wildkat.jpg

Not to hijack this thread, but my 'Kat is due tomorrow and I hope the finish is as gorgeous as on Parabar's. I've noticed on pictures that some seem to have that slightly chequered finish - very classy - while others are a more plain (but nice) flame type finish. Variability in the finishing process?

I'm not considering any mods for mine...yet anyway!

Chequered like Sledge's? Not finished that differently except the first coat is a black stain to bring out the stripes. Also tigerstripe maple has an almost 3d quality looking at it under a different angle or lighting.

Congrats on the Kat. They're really nice guitars. Here's mine, a Ltd Edition in Sunrise Orange:

ricochet-albums-rich-gearpix-picture4413-epiphone-wildkat-ltd-edition-sunrise-orange.jpg

Interesting! Not having seen my new one in the flesh yet I'm curious as to the finish it has. And before you ask - there will be pics! Love the orange. I would have gone for that shade but it meant waiting another three months here!

Interesting! Not having seen my new one in the flesh yet I'm curious as to the finish it has.

They're not all quite so prominent in the flame department. Mine is a Trans Black and it's a fairly dull one' date=' I've seen brighter even in this finish. In low light or indoors it looks more or less like this (forgive the "wild kittens", they're very curious):

[img']http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/ggalanbindg/forum/kat02.jpg[/img]

kat03.jpg

guu15.jpg

kat04.jpg

But outdoors in bright light, or (in this case) with flash photography you get to see the flame more clearly:

kat06.jpg

kat07.jpg

kat08.jpg

Some of the other colours like the bright turquoise or whatever it is don't have a flame at all as far as I know. They all have really thick poly finish though.

That one's checking the action.

Anyone ever put a pickguard on one of these? What string guage is best?

I use 10-46 because that's what it came with and it feels good. No reason why you can't go heavier or lighter. Most people here seem to like the heavy guages but I think those people are insane. I want my fingers to still work in 30 years time.

Pickguard, hell no... I'd have to drill holes in the thing, that ain't gonna happen.

Archived