Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! ('Kat)

Spyke1

Hi all,

So this is why you all love your WildKats so much! Mine came today and I love it already! The weight is just right and it feels very comfortable to play. Still getting used to the heavyweight Bigsby bar after my Strat trem arms but that's part of the charm. Looks like I got the standard type (ie usual, normal) finish on mine - subtly flame. Nice wood. The neck is slim and very playable and it came fairly well set up, though of course it goes out of tune every time I touch the Bigsby!

pic02.jpg

pic05.jpg

pic06.jpg

Some questions. I love the P90 sound on clean and at crunchy, but I have to keep the gain limited somewhat or the sound becomes quite "fizzy". Know what I mean? I take it this is normal for a P90-equiped semi-hollowbody? Also the rhythm pickup lacks the same definition that the bridge one has, to a small extent. Normal again?

Cheers!:-k

Sweet !!! HNGD !!!! That finish looks WAY better in a "real" photo than in the online stock photos at various websites. Wish I could answer your pickup questions, but the only thing I really know about the W'kats is that I really really want one....some day, one day (....still living down my last purchase)

That finish looks WAY better in a "real" photo than in the online stock photos at various websites

Yup.........

DSC01801.jpg

HNGD Spyke, you'll love it.

To part answer your question I find my Wildkat handles higher gain well in the middle selector position with neck pup around 3 and bridge around 10. The master volume can then be used to adjust up and down on the gain.

Ohh nice catch, beautiful guitar! HNGD! :)

Last week I was browsing the site of the store where I got my Wilshire, and they had a 2nd hand Wildkat for sale. I checked a day later because, well, GAS and all that, but it was already gone. #-o

Some questions. I love the P90 sound on clean and at crunchy' date=' but I have to keep the gain limited somewhat or the sound becomes quite "fizzy". Know what I mean? I take it this is normal for a P90-equiped semi-hollowbody? Also the rhythm pickup lacks the same definition that the bridge one has, to a small extent. Normal again?

Cheers!:) [/quote']

Yeah the Kat doesn't like high gain crunch much. It's really not that sort of guitar, and will fritz out a bit and howl fairly atonally when you crank it hard. Yeah rhythm pickup is quite warm, not a lot of top, it's all about that smooth sound. What you're describing seems pretty normal to me.

I am sooo jealous! I love the look of the Wildkat. Especially that color.

The only one I've seen up close was a black one that one of my local stores had.

I didn't care for the black, but that's just my personal taste.

I think a Wildkat is in my future, as soon as I can fit it in.

Does any one know if red is still available?

And as with any Bigsby, it should have a roller bridge.

Or a regular bridge with well filed and lubed saddles.

Might be one upgrade to consider.

Congrats. You might want to try skipping the 2nd roller bar(like zerostreet) since the angle from the bar to the bridge is too acute. Stringing over the bar will completely rid one friction point and lessen the friction of the bridge.

IMO the metal cover disperses the magnetic field causing it to sound undefined. Very untypical of a single coil/P90.

These PUs are finicky to setup properly. Experiment with the height of the polepieces.

I'm planning on removing the covers, replacing them by black plastic. If anyone wants to keep the look. There are chrome plastic covers out there.

@Zerostreet: Have a look at the Compton bridge. Not a rollerbridge, but a substantial tonal upgrade for these type of guitars.

Lovely colour on that Alleykat! I wondered about that pic of the red Wildkat. So what are the advantages and/or disadvantages of stringing over the roller bar like that? Less string wear? Better sustain? Better tuning control?

I had the option of ordering the new to be released Sunrise Orange colour, but had to cancel the order for money reasons. Also it would have been hard to wait until April to get one! I was lucky enough to spot this one online so snapped it up.

Very nice guitar HNGD! I don't personally play semi hollow body guitars at this point in time. Are they really light like an SAG or something if so I may start looking at a later time due to my Spinal problems Gongrats!

Hi Reddawg,

Looking at your gear list I'm assuming you're a rock and metal fan, like me. This board and the buzz about the Wildkat really got me in to the semi hollow thing so I can see why you're tempted.

Anyway, Wildkats weigh about 8lbs. I've just done a comparison with my SG and it is heavier than that but is lighter than my LP. It does have a centre block which reduces feedback but will obviously increase the weight. A small full hollow body may well be lighter but I suppose you'd you have to weigh up the pros and cons depending on what you want to play. All I can say is the my Wildkat has always, to me, felt light rather than than heavy. If you just want a P90 sound and want a lighter guitar then perhaps an SG Classic might be your best bet (wish we could get them in the UK).

Alan

Hi Reddawg' date='

Looking at your gear list I'm assuming you're a rock and metal fan, like me. This board and the buzz about the Wildkat really got me in to the semi hollow thing so I can see why you're tempted.

Anyway, Wildkats weigh about 8lbs. I've just done a comparison with my SG and it is heavier than that but is lighter than my LP. It does have a centre block which reduces feedback but will obviously increase the weight. A small full hollow body may well be lighter but I suppose you'd you have to weigh up the pros and cons depending on what you want to play. All I can say is the my Wildkat has always, to me, felt light rather than than heavy. If you just want a P90 sound and want a lighter guitar then perhaps an SG Classic might be your best bet (wish we could get them in the UK).

Alan [/quote']

Thanks Alan I appreciate your input. You pegged my style right on and maybe I'll have to stick with SG'S and some Ibanez guitars out there. All my guitars left in my collection are light and have speed tapered necks. I also have small hands which limits the type of guitar I am willing to Buy.lol

Lovely colour on that Alleykat! I wondered about that pic of the red Wildkat. So what are the advantages and/or disadvantages of stringing over the roller bar like that? Less string wear? Better sustain? Better tuning control?

I had the option of ordering the new to be released Sunrise Orange colour' date=' but had to cancel the order for money reasons. Also it would have been hard to wait until April to get one! I was lucky enough to spot this one online so snapped it up.

[/quote']

I don't know much about Bigsby tremelos, i have never used one. It seems to me if the strings are over the roller bar you can only dive bomb, where as if the strings are under the roller bar you can dive bomb and go into tension, Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi again. Sorry to resurrect this thread, but something came to light when I closely inspected the Wildkat the other day. The picture shows the bass side post of the bridge. That gap is 3D - I can fit a plectrum tip in there. As it is a brand new guitar and under warranty I contacted the retailr and they agreed to uplift it for inspection.

This is exactly how the guitar arrived as I have not even touched the bridge or made any adjustments to anything on the guitar yet, not even slackened off the strings.

I'm pretty convinced it's a construction issue, not something caused by the bridge moving. What do you guys'n'gals think? There is a similar gap in the hole for the treble side bridge post too, but not quite so bad.

pic10%20hole.jpg

What do you think the upshot will be?

A clear manufacturing flaw, Spyke. Just checked mine and that lower ring is perfectly flush with the surface and recessed at a 90 degree angle. Your's looks like it's been drilled wrong. If it's brand new a replacement is the order of the day.

If they argue I'll gladly supply a photo for you to show them what it should look like.

Alan

Thanks Alan. When I spoke to the dealer on the phone, he said the only other one they had in stock (which was also sold) was similar. A bad batch perhaps? Anyway, I hope it is replaced with no problems, even though I suspect that will mean waiting a while for more stock to reach our shores. If necessary I don't mind waiting - I like the guitar that much!

If they offer to repair rather than replace, is it something that can effectively be 'fixed'?

Thanks Alan. When I spoke to the dealer on the phone' date=' he said the only other one they had in stock (which was also sold) was similar. A bad batch perhaps? Anyway, I hope it is replaced with no problems, even though I suspect that will mean waiting a while for more stock to reach our shores. If necessary I don't mind waiting - I like the guitar that much!

If they offer to repair rather than replace, is it something that can effectively be 'fixed'?

[/quote']

I'm sure it could be fixed but would you really want it to be? I'm by no means an expert but I wouldn't want to have the bridge screw holes filled re-drilled on a new guitar.

You can cancel your 'contract' under the Sale of Goods Act which states that new goods have to be sold as advertised, fit for the purpose intended and of merchantable quality. If there is a debate with them over the latter two of these points (which there shouldn't be), if you bought it online/mail order the Distance Selling Regulations allow you to return goods without reason within 7 days of delivery.

I heard back from the retailer today. They were happy to take the 'Kat back and exchange it for another, except they had none in stock! So rather than me send it back and then wait months for a replacement, they said keep it and play it and they'll let me know when another comes in. I can then return it under warranty for replacement! Nice result eh!

Archived