Gibson Brands Forums

1978 Deluxe Gibson Les Paul

Caolan96

okay I know this is an epi forum but I need some help, Ive been offered a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, it's wine red and in good condition (a couple of scratches here and there), it plays amazing, action is perfect for me, and as a result it's really easy to play, il post pics later as I'm at school right now.

it's £1400

what I was wondering is. is this a good price?

I'm only 13 and it's a Lot of money for someone my age, and I'm gonna have to sell my goldtop to help with the cost, bear in mind it is a Gibson. I never thought I'd ever get a Gibson until I was 18, so I'm pretty exited but don't want to jump into it.

any help would be appreciated.

Caolan.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Gibson guitars increase in value over time. I doubt this model will ever be a collector's item, but if you pay a fair price for a used Gibson, you can almost always sell it for more in a few years -- assuming of course that you take good care of it.

Do you have a serial number?

I ask, because according to my book (Vintage Guitar Price Guide), Gibson stopped making the Deluxe in 1985.

You can get a used ebony Gibson Les Paul Standard for £700 - £800. I sold my '91 Classic for £850 and I can guaruntee it was a far superior and more collectable guitar than an '87 Deluxe. There are better guitars out there for less money so have a long think about it.

You dont need a Gibson anyway!

£1' date='400 - US$2,160

13 where are you getting that kind of bread from.........[crying

Duane should we be encouraging this type of GAS in 13 year olds......[biggrin]

a lot of saving combined with the selling of my goldtop, and a little help from my parents, 350 from goldtop, 500 from my savings, and 550 from my parents, yeah guys I know I'm only 13, and I sound really stupid , but I'm gonna keep this for a lifetime, by the way what does GAS stand for ?

I know it has something to do with wanting guitars [biggrin]

and I am VERY careful with guitars.

If the guitar is in great condition, the price is VERY fair.

On the other hand: Do you really want and need a vintage guitar? Something you have to worry about damaging?

I agree with AS90: A Gibson isn't something one must necessarily have.

Edit:

GAS = Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Yes' date=' Gibson guitars increase in value over time. I doubt this model will ever be a collector's item, but if you pay a fair price for a used Gibson, you can almost always sell it for more in a few years -- assuming of course that you take good care of it.

Do you have a serial number?

I ask, because according to my book (Vintage Guitar Price Guide), Gibson stopped making the Deluxe in 1985.

[/quote']

I don't have access to the serial right now but I did trace it yesterday and I got, made June 2nd 1978 in the Nashville plant.

If the guitar is in great condition' date=' the price is VERY fair.

On the other hand: Do you really want and need a vintage guitar? Something you have to worry about damaging?

I agree with AS90: A Gibson isn't something one must necessarily have.

Edit:

GAS = Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

[/quote']

thanks for the definition.

and I know I gotta be careful with it, I will be.

I don't have access to the serial right now but I did trace it yesterday and I got' date=' made June 2nd 1978 in the Nashville plant.[/quote']

The serial number isn't necessary any more. I only asked, because Gibson didn't make this model in 1987. [crying]

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Some things to think about.

You're 13. You have 3 guitars. Maybe your money would be better spent on a better amp?

More importantly, what are you planning to do with your life? It's not too soon to think about that. Are you going to be a professional musician? If not, this might not be a wise use of money.

Are you planning to attend university?

Will you want a car or motorcycle in a few years when you drive?

Will you want to travel in a few years?

Have you asked for advice from people you trust, especially your parents?

Some things to think about.

You're 13. You have 3 guitars. Maybe your money would be better spent on a better amp?

More importantly' date=' what are you planning to do with your life? It's not too soon to think about that. Are you going to be a professional musician? If not, this might not be a wise use of money.

Are you planning to attend university?

Will you want a car or motorcycle in a few years when you drive?

Will you want to travel in a few years?

Have you asked for advice from people you trust, especially your parents?[/quote']

no I want to be a GP.

and to achieve this I will obviously have to attend university, as for transport my parents would never let me get a motocycle, so I guess it would be a car, also, I wi be getting a new amp this summer.

by the way guys is it likely this guitar will appreciate in value in time?

Just get it!!!!! Listen to your inner self on this one[cool]

My first guitar was/is a Gibson' date=' and I was 10 years old when I acquired it...... I delivered a ton of Herald Examiner news papers, and of course some help from Mom and Dad[cool']

£1' date='400 - US$2,160

13 where are you getting that kind of bread from.........[drool

Duane should we be encouraging this type of GAS in 13 year olds......[biggrin]

Thats a really nice axe but.....Geeze Loueeze, thats a lot of cash at any age, no less 13 years old. I bought my first motorcycle for a fraction of that. Thats almost half a nused hyundai.

Go see the epi MD, that's way too much GAS at too young an age.........[biggrin] ...........................markerdown

I do feel I connected with this guitar straight away, so I believe I will purchase it today. I should have it by tonight and will post pics,

I'm glad I'm not the only person who got a Gibson young duane [drool]

thanks for all the help guys, il post pics tonight, I started the same thread as this, at the same time on the Gibson forum, still haven't got a reply, so epiphone forum still rules !

regards, caolán.

Thats a really nice axe but.....Geeze Loueeze' date=' thats a lot of cash at any age, no less 13 years old. I bought my first motorcycle for a fraction of that. Thats almost half a nused hyundai.

Go see the epi MD, that's way too much GAS at too young an age.........[drool ...........................markerdown

what's an epi MD?

I purchased my second Gibson at the age of 16 working at Jack in the Box and delivering the Herald Examiner..... See image (1980 LPC)

randy001.jpg

The case the deluxe I am buying is the same as that except it has red lining, I think they're real ugly cases, are the new cases as well built as these?

Archived