Gibson Brands Forums

What a day!!!

Silverbursted

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob (the owner) mentioned during his Gibson factory tour he saw all kinds of one-off and oddball prototypes.

That peaks my curiosity! Can you elaborate at all?

Also, do the Traditionals come with the pickguard already attached? Seems like that would piss some people off considering Standard bursts come stock with them off.

Also' date=' do the Traditionals come with the pickguard already attached? Seems like that would piss some people off considering Standard bursts come stock with them off.[/quote']

I believe so. All of the Traditionals I've seen so far all have it installed, as well as the Gibson site.

Beauty.

Did the store owner have any insight on why the Traditional is "weight relieved but not chambered" and the Standard is "chambered"?

Was it the new 08 Standard that you compared her with?

Are the tuners bolt-bushings or press-fit bushings? (how 'bout some photos front and back of the headstock)

Interesting they're going back to the Nashville bridges, I'm just saying...

The hardwareis nickel, right? standards seem to be going back to chrome.

You liked the '57 classic/plus pickups rather than the burstbucker pros on the standard? how do they compare to the Burstbucker1/2 in the Historics?

How did this latest incarnation of the 50's rounded neck compare to the assymmetrical neck of the new Standard?

DAMN YOU! I friggin' hate you SB.*sniffles* you know I wanted that same guitar *blows nose* how could you do that? I'm gonna have a friggin' GAS seizure! Beautiful guitar btw. When I get mine we're gonna have to start a group or club or religious cult or something

That peaks my curiosity! Can you elaborate at all?

As far as the one-off & prototype stuff, Bob wouldn't say a whole lot.

Remember, this is the guy I bought my 12 string SG from - the only one in the world like it. He knows his Gibsons.

Mentioned ES-335, 345, 355 stuff.

One was a White Custom with three pickups (P-90's?) and the full length Bigsby, all gold hardware.

Played it a little. Said it was spectacular. Wanted to take it home.

White. He kept mentioning white guitars that looked heavenly.

He was asking a couple Gibson big wigs why they don't sell this, or that, or the other one.

They said they didn't think anybody would like them.

Bob said he made it a point to let them know that some of that stuff would sell for big $$$$.

Nothing on the lower end of the price scale that he mentioned.

SB may remember more about what he was saying, and add to the story as needed.

The pickguard already being attached on the Traditional is a minor thing in my book.

Take it off, put the two tiny screws back in the body to close the hole.

I did that for years on the two black Standards I had, hardly anybody noticed the screws - even on a BLACK guitar.

The pickguard already being attached on the Traditional is a minor thing in my book.

Take it off' date=' put the two tiny screws back in the body to close the hole.

I did that for years on the two black Standards I had, hardly anybody noticed the screws - even on a BLACK guitar.[/quote']

Gotcha. Just wondered if there were any earth-shattering new **** (like the Reverse V, heh).

The pickguard screws don't bother me personally, I just found it considerate of Gibson not to put them on in the factory for the people who like their 'bursts naked and unadulterated.

Bob was going on about the all birds eye maple 335, that they would not sell him.

Not a Gibson, but he had a 12 string Jackson was pretty special. I think it has SurfPups name all over it. It was a South Dade County seafoam green with a cream pick guard. No bash there Pup, she was very cool.

Did the store owner have any insight on why the Traditional is "weight relieved but not chambered" and the Standard is "chambered"?

Yeah.

If you don't want wood in the middle of the guitar' date=' buy a 335.

Bob probably loves a nice 335 even more than I do, and I LOVE mine, but a Les Paul is SUPPOSED to have wood in it.

Was it the new 08 Standard that you compared her with?

Yes, 2008 Standard with the 60's neck. BurstBucker Pro's.

I have them in mine. I'm thinking more and more I should have put 57 Classics in it instead. I LOVE 'em.

The Standard would squeal a litttle now and then. Bob would wrinkle up his face like the guitar smelled bad.

Bob said "Screw this, I wouldn't be able to live with THAT!"

Somehow, there was a misunderstanding between SB's son (sharp guy) and Bob over what exactly feedback was.

Bob made a distinct effort to demonstrate to SB's son the difference between feedback and a squeal.

Feedback = Power chord, lotsa sustain with feedback creeping in, "Hell yeah!" with a big stupid grin on his face...

Squeal = Playing runs, riffs and lead licks with the odd squeal, "Fxck that, not a money maker for me." Ugly face.

The difference was very distinct after a few minutes, I didn't hear it at first. SB can tell you all that, it's HIS guitar! :-)

Of course, this comparison would be hard to do at ANY guitar shop.

This was the owner, plugged into his practice rig in the back room. He's an OLD rocker, still does gigs all the time.

His test rig for the SB demo was a Marshall B cabinet with a pair of Marshall 2000 heads, Boss delay, Boss chorus.

Turned up pretty damned loud so EVERYTHING was there. Oh, the heads are 50 wattters!

Searing leads, BIG chunky riffs, Van Halen style arpeggio stuff, then quiet it WAY down doing nice, delicate stuff...

I made the comment that good tone needs ONLY three things.

1. Good guitar.

2. Good tube amp.

3. Good cord to hook them together.

Bob kinda grinned, and said "Fxck yeah, I only use pedals for gigs when I have to..." or something like that.

Are the tuners bolt-bushings or press-fit bushings? (how 'bout some photos front and back of the headstock)

Interesting they're going back to the Nashville bridges' date=' I'm just saying...

The hardwareis nickel, right? standards seem to be going back to chrome.

You liked the '57 classic/plus pickups rather than the burstbucker pros on the standard? how do they compare to the Burstbucker1/2 in the Historics?

How did this latest incarnation of the 50's rounded neck compare to the assymmetrical neck of the new Standard? [/quote']

I'll let SilverBursted go with the rest here, except that Bob has no assymmetrical necks in stock. Doesn't know if he will.

Also, my personal opinion here, I'm not interested in a Burstbucker1/2 because they are not wax potted.

The guitars are top notch, so the pickup can't get all the credit for the sound.

As soon as a 1 or 2 goes microphonic, what kind of tone do you have? You'll be replacing them anyway.

I'm sure they sound killer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

The 57 Classic is pretty much everything you can do to nail that original PAF sound, in a pickup that will last forever.

Maybe I'm just sour after seeing my share of dead pickups over the years, what a pain in the ***.

Gotcha. Just wondered if there were any earth-shattering new **** (like the Reverse V' date=' heh).

The pickguard screws don't bother me personally, I just found it considerate of Gibson not to put them on in the factory for the people who like their 'bursts naked and unadulterated. [/quote']

I would rather that the pickguards not (already) be attached on those beautiful flame tops, but no big deal either way.

I would rather that the pickguards not (already) be attached on those beautiful flame tops' date=' but no big deal either way. [/quote']

I agree 100% except I disagree, if you know what I mean....

If I was calling the shots at Gibson, I would be worried about EVERY LAST DETAIL on every guitar that left.

If I did NOT install a pickguard, and threw it in the case;

1. It will disappear at some point before the final retail sale. I have to send another one out for free.

2. It will be misplaced in the case and damage the finish on the guitar - warranty claim against ME.

3. If I don't drill the holes, somebody else will and do a sh!tty job. From now on, people will think Gibson did it.

4. If the holes get seriously botched, the guitar will get sent back to me as a defective piece by some swindler.

5. If I deny the claim, I'm the bad guy. If I save money to try to do a half-assed repair....

6. If I spend $$$ to repair the guitar and refinish it, will they be happy?

7. Do I lose my *** to repair the guitar, THEN sell it dirt cheap as a blem or second?

8. This goes on and on...

Easier to just mount the guard and allow the owner to pull it off.

Now, get into the Custom, RI, and Historic stuff where there more money, it's all different.

Bob opened that store 32 years ago.

Think back to 1976' date=' and try to imagine a cool name to give your new guitar store that you own all by yourself...

Bizarre Guitar was born! [/quote']

We sure could use a store like that up here in day-twa (Detroit)!

Archived