Gibson Brands Forums

I'm still confused about Les Pauls

StreakyPete

I now know that an SG400 is a pretty good axe to go for, and that a set neck is better than a bolt on.

I've also learned about Craigslist & Gumtree and fallen in love with the looks of a WildKat.

All of the above thanks to the repondents in my first topic. Thanks again everyone.

However, I'm still not sure how to distinguish between a good and a cheapo LP.

If I had enough dough to go out and buy new, I would no doubt get the full Monty from the salesman.

But since I'm on a restricted budget, it has to be a used guitar. Upon studying photos & sellers' descriptions, they all appear pretty much the same.

What should I be looking out for? Is there a model code which seperates the wheat from the chaff? or are there any visual clues.

I'll have another look at the pics on My Epiphone to see if that helps me in my quest.

BTW, it's quite good fun looking [biggrin]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man,

it always boils down to 2 things:

1. your budget

2. your musical needs

the first one is self-eplanatory, but as for the second, there are many things to consider. Are you a hobbyist or going pro (even in the future). Do you gig of just play at home? The value of an instrument increases based on two things, as well: the quality of the materials and the workmanship on it. Generally speaking, if you are not certain about how to distinguish qualities of guitars yet, I would recommend that you are buying new guitars from official dealers. The used guitars market sounds / looks promising, but if you can't tell what you're actually buying, could be like sailing in uncharted waters... little risky.

In your place, I would stick to Epiphone. The Juniors and the Studios are great beginner guitars ( I started on an SG Special and it served me well for my first 2 years or so), if you can afford a Standard ir certainly worths it.

And the better the guitar, the longer the period it will serve you and keep you satisfied.

good luck.

Les Pauls are the bomb...unless you can get your hands on a Firebird VII, or Epiphones version of the guitar Johnny's playing below. The bolt neck Lesters are the low budget versions, which isn't taking anything away from them functionally, just not the bling of the Standards/Customs/Classics/Limited Editions, etc. And the SG's are nice too, see if you can get your hands on one of those "Vintage" G400s...some have neck binding, some don't. Like anything, there's good ones, and there's duds. Play a bunch before you decide.

Hey man' date='

it always boils down to 2 things:

1. your budget

2. your musical needs

the first one is self-eplanatory, but as for the second, there are many things to consider. Are you a hobbyist or going pro (even in the future). Do you gig of just play at home? The value of an instrument increases based on two things, as well: the quality of the materials and the workmanship on it. Generally speaking, if you are not certain about how to distinguish qualities of guitars yet, I would recommend that you are buying new guitars from official dealers. The used guitars market sounds / looks promising, but if you can't tell what you're actually buying, could be like sailing in uncharted waters... little risky.

In your place, I would stick to Epiphone. The Juniors and the Studios are great beginner guitars ( I started on an SG Special and it served me well for my first 2 years or so), if you can afford a Standard ir certainly worths it.

And the better the guitar, the longer the period it will serve you and keep you satisfied.

good luck.

[/quote']

IMHO, the Studio LP is getting dissed on this thread. It's got the set neck, the separate volume/tone controls, got everything but the bling. Heck, you might even favor the "faded" look. Dollar for dollar (pound for pund? euro for euro?) seems to me that they're the best bet. Plus, some on these pages in the past have suggested that they're good for taking ouot to gig with, as you don't have to worry about dinging the bling. eems that was part of the rationale for the "Studio" designation--both Gibson and Epi--in the first place.

IMHO' date=' the Studio LP is getting dissed on this thread. It's got the set neck, the separate volume/tone controls, got everything but the bling. Heck, you might even favor the "faded" look. Dollar for dollar (pound for pund? euro for euro?) seems to me that they're the best bet. Plus, some on these pages in the past have suggested that they're good for taking ouot to gig with, as you don't have to worry about dinging the bling. eems that was part of the rationale for the "Studio" designation--both Gibson and Epi--in the first place.[/quote']

picture057a.jpg

Thanks for defending a wonderful guitar. The Studio is a full scale Les Paul, sans (as you said) the bling (binding and inlays). Love mine! A solid (literally and figuratively) guitar, sounds great, stays in tune, still weighs 10 lbs and looks great for a bare bones LP!

They can be had new for descent money, and used for even better.

Sheila

Good points!

I've spent the last hour or so looking at the pics in the Post My Epiphone topic, and it's pretty clear that you lot are definitely spoiled rotten! What a great collection you have.

I've taken the liberty of copying many of the pictures and building up a file so that, as when used models become available, I'll have an instant reference point.

I'm by no means an accomplished guitarist - even although I've been playing for many, many years.

In the past, I've owned Fender Strats & Teles. a lovely Riviera, an amazing Gibson J45 with Di Armond PU, a Ricky, a couple of LP cheapo copies and a few more I can't remember (Me mem'rys gorn Guv!).

I'm deffo a hobbyist guitarist - a returnee after packing it all in when the kids arrived.

My buddy and I did a couple of numbers at a wedding we attended about 10 years ago, and since we still had some gear packed away in lofts and garages, we found ourselves 'back at it' again.

We have fun - maybe not so good for the audience to see a couple of old dodderers strutting their stuff, but we've never been thrown out of a venue yet. (maybe 'care for the elderly' has something to do with that...).

Looking forward to getting a nice Epi - it's been too long.

picture057a.jpg

Thanks for defending a wonderful guitar. The Studio is a full scale Les Paul' date=' sans (as you said) the bling (binding and inlays). Love mine! A solid (literally and figuratively) guitar, sounds great, stays in tune, still weighs 10 lbs and looks great for a bare bones LP!

They can be had new for descent money, and used for even better.

Sheila [/quote']

Now there's a good example - both of a fine looking guitar, and of a model I was unaware of!

That's going in my file straight away!

Thanks Sheila & Bloozeguy

If I had enough dough to go out and buy new' date=' I would no doubt get the full Monty from the salesman.

[b']But since I'm on a restricted budget, it has to be a used guitar.[/b]

The "Defend YER Studio" thread!

I, too, own an EPI LP Studio 2008, Worn Brown. My only mods were to install

Gibson pups and tuners (personal preference). Have not changed a thing since,

almost 1 and 1/2 years later. I bought the Studio because of EPI rep and price.

Being a former Gibby LP owner, I wanted a guitar as close to the Gibs I used to

own, but without the high-end prices. And I found it. The stock pups in the Studio are

Alnico Classic Neck (HB6N), and Alnico Classic Plus Bridge (HOTHB8B) open coils,

stock tuners are Grover D-tips. Stock pups produce a decent sound, and were the same pups

that came with my Epi LP Classic.

100_0205.jpg

100_0206.jpg

I recommend checking out Musician's Friend website for Epi Studios - big variety of

gits to choose from, MORE since when I bought mine from them. AND now they sell used

gear - some with just cosmetic issues, some will require more. Since you mentioned a

restricted budget, I spotted this one, only $223.00, 2 chips in finish. Fix with White acrylic

fingernail polish. Not brand new, but save $176.00. A personal choice! NEW is $399.00.

Guitar does ship free to most locations...

I'm with Deflepfan, worth checking into!

Link to used Epi Studio:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=512585

688574.jpg

688573.jpg

Love the natural wood of yours Animal!

The Arctic Blue (like mine) is available at Sweetwater. Muscian's Friend only has the Deluxes in Black, White and Wine Red. But MF does have the Fadeds (like Animal's) in stock.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and Ebay, even if just to see what they are selling for. Worth it!

Sheila

PS - Just realized that you are on the other side of the pond, so check out Thomann's. They have it new for 256 Euro or 233 GBP.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_studio_artic_blue.htm

Big fan of the Les Paul Studio - I got mine through frustration with being unable to find a good set-neck Junior (57 Reissue please!) it now has a P90 at the bridge. I got it (used) for less than a quarter of the going rate for new Standards. It really can do all that a Standard can - if you can go without the looks. I had intended on holding onto my Studio until I found a Junior but now it's a keeper.

2 Epiphone I still want/need - 57 Reissue Junior and an Ebony Firebird.

7C

And maybe a Wilshire, G400, Explorer, Flying V......

The "Defend YER Studio" thread!

I' date=' too, own an EPI LP Studio 2008, Worn Brown. My only mods were to install

Gibson pups and tuners (personal preference). Have not changed a thing since,

almost 1 and 1/2 years later. I bought the Studio because of EPI rep and price.

Being a former Gibby LP owner, I wanted a guitar as close to the Gibs I used to

own, but without the high-end prices. And I found it. The stock pups in the Studio are

Alnico Classic Neck (HB6N), and Alnico Classic Plus Bridge (HOTHB8B) open coils,

stock tuners are Grover D-tips. Stock pups produce a decent sound, and were the same pups

that came with my Epi LP Classic.

[img']http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/Animalfarm1984/100_0205.jpg[/img]

100_0206.jpg

I recommend checking out Musician's Friend website for Epi Studios - big variety of

gits to choose from, MORE since when I bought mine from them. AND now they sell used

gear - some with just cosmetic issues, some will require more. Since you mentioned a

restricted budget, I spotted this one, only $223.00, 2 chips in finish. Fix with White acrylic

fingernail polish. Not brand new, but save $176.00. A personal choice! NEW is $399.00.

Guitar does ship free to most locations...

I'm with Deflepfan, worth checking into!

Link to used Epi Studio:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=512585

688574.jpg

688573.jpg

Well now, even although it's impractical for me to look at MF on account of being over a million miles away (as the crow flies), I had a little shuftie at that little white number.

You know what? I could live with that little nick - piece of cake to fill 'er and varnish 'er.

(erm btw, how long have you been using white nail varnish[biggrin] )

At least, that's what I thought until I scrolled back up and checked your little beauty out. Then I realized... Nah! for a few dollars more (that's got a ring to it) I would much rather have a (relatively) unmarked one.

I apologise if my typing is a bit off - it's hard to type and drool at the same time.

Love the natural wood of yours Animal!

The Arctic Blue (like mine) is available at Sweetwater. Muscian's Friend only has the Deluxes in Black' date=' White and Wine Red. But MF does have the Fadeds (like Animal's) in stock.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and Ebay, even if just to see what they are selling for. Worth it!

Sheila

PS - Just realized that you are on the other side of the pond, so check out Thomann's. They have it new for 256 Euro or 233 GBP.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_studio_artic_blue.htm[/quote']

Thanks Sheila, Allanssaab (that fount of all information) has already alerted me to the offers available on Thomann's.

I must say it's pretty tempting to go for a 'Brannie', but I've a feeling that something good will come my way in the next few weeks.

Here's a very local site that Allan showed me:

http://glasgow.gumtree.com/

There are loads of nice axes almost withing reach of my budget. If you change the city to 'Edinburgh' you'll see a very tasty SG400 in Dalkeith for £180.

I've a feeling that there's a Studio with my name on it tho.

Pete

Yeah' date=' MF may be the other side of the pond, but we do have the likes of GAK and Thomann.[biggrin']

You also have some very fine stores across the border too. Guitar Guitar being just one.

There is a Guitar Guitar in Glasgow, although I was always a customer of Reverb - and all it's other guises.

Somebody once told me to stay clear of GAK - I'm blowed if I can remember why - when I bought my last keyboard.

Do they sell used stuff?

I'll give them the once over anyway.

Pete.

Personally, I think the Epiphone Les Paul plain tops are great guitars. They are the same as the plus top in all aspects except for the finish and I don't think the finish is worth the extra money. As a grad student I can't afford one right now but, if I could, I would run right out to buy one. In the meantime, I have purchased an Epiphone G-400 and couldn't be happier. Seriously, it is a great guitar for the price, absolutely great. Get one of those and save money until you can afford a Les Paul. You won't be disappointed and will likely choose to keep the G-400 even after you get the Les Paul - that's what I plan to do (I happily traded in my entry level Ibanez towards the G-400 but highly doubt I will ever part with the G-400 as it is just too nice a guitar).

Just my opinion but as a recent purchaser of a G-400.

Hi' date=' Animal Farm

How much of an improvement would you say fitting Gibby pups made to your Studio?

Seems to me you must have a bluddy good axe for not a lot of cash, mais non?[/quote']

Hey, SP! yeah, "shudda" recommended Thomann.de, closer to your part of

the world! I grabbed Gibson 490R/498T pup sets for both gits on ebay for

$100 USD a SET vs $100 each if new, Gibson Deluxe tuners from ebay also.

See Signature line. $130 per guitar added investment.

Immediate differences - hit lead run, any single note will sustain for ages,

especially at gigging volume. Just pick note, face amp, let note ring until I

get tired of hearing it. Also increased sensitivity/more control with pick - I

can hit "pinch harmonics/grace notes" pretty much anywhere on the neck

without trying too hard. Could do an entire lead run or scale with pinch harmonics

as the pups are very sensitive. No muddy sound/too much bottom end from the

gibbby pups, and clean tone is primo. I'm happy![biggrin][cool] [cool]

Thanks for asking!

LP Classic w/ Gibby pups:[cool] [cool] :- :- :-

100_0308.jpg

Personally' date=' I think the Epiphone Les Paul plain tops are great guitars. They are the same as the plus top in all aspects except for the finish and I don't think the finish is worth the extra money. As a grad student I can't afford one right now but, if I could, I would run right out to buy one. In the meantime, I have purchased an Epiphone G-400 and couldn't be happier. Seriously, it is a great guitar for the price, absolutely great. Get one of those and save money until you can afford a Les Paul. You won't be disappointed and will likely choose to keep the G-400 even after you get the Les Paul - that's what I plan to do (I happily traded in my entry level Ibanez towards the G-400 but highly doubt I will ever part with the G-400 as it is just too nice a guitar).

Just my opinion but as a recent purchaser of a G-400.[/quote']

I couldn't agree more, I have a G-400 that I bought used last Spring and it's a great playing & sounding guitar. I used it in a rock band this last year and it also amazed me how well it stayed in tune-and I played it very hard, too.

And here is the best part-I think this one is much better than a 70's Gibson SG I had many years ago-it had bad neck issues and that Vibrola trem bar that was always in the way and caused tuning problem as well. Epi SG's rule!![biggrin]

that a set neck is better than a bolt on.

Not necessarily.

#1. It depends on your musical needs

#2. It depends on how well done the joint is. A sloppily made neck joint (IE a G-310) will sound like crap. A well done, super tight bolt-on joint (IE Carvin or most Fenders) will sound MUCH DIFFERENT than a traditional set neck joint. A well made bolt joint lets through more high frequencies, because there is no wood glue to kill them out. That's why (well, one reason... there are many other factors...) a Fender sounds real bright and sparkly, and Gibsons tend to be dark sounding.

#3. IMHO, the BEST neck joint isn't a joint at all. Neck-through is the way to go, but I'll save that rant for another day.

IMHO' date=' the Studio LP is getting dissed on this thread. It's got the set neck, the separate volume/tone controls, got everything but the bling. Heck, you might even favor the "faded" look. Dollar for dollar (pound for pund? euro for euro?) seems to me that they're the best bet. Plus, some on these pages in the past have suggested that they're good for taking ouot to gig with, as you don't have to worry about dinging the bling. eems that was part of the rationale for the "Studio" designation--both Gibson and Epi--in the first place.[/quote']

Nobody disses the Studio in here man. I just said that it's a beginner's guitar, in the sense that it's a perfectly logical purchase for any guy / girl taking up guitar and that chooses his / her first axe, not in the sense that it's not a very nice guitar! It can certainly stand in the hands of a professional in a stage and play & sound fine! If my boys decide one day to take up huitar and I can afford it, I would rather buy them a Studio than a Special, with the understanding that it will serve them well for more years in the future. And of course it's a guitar worth upgrading with some better pickups / electronics, well as for the Special... most probably not (although, even this depends on the needs / funds of the owner). [confused]

I also think that the Studio LP's are great guitars ... but personally, I just gotta have body and neck binding! Headstock binding I can live without (although I love it too...) but neck and body are simply a non-negotiable for me.

I know it has no effect on the tone of the guitar ... just call it my own tiny bit of guitar snobbery ... I'll cop to it without any argument! [confused]

Jim

I also think that the Studio LP's are great guitars ... but personally' date=' I just gotta have body and neck binding! Headstock binding I can live without (although I love it too...) but neck and body are simply a non-negotiable for me.

I know it has no effect on the tone of the guitar ... just call it my own tiny bit of guitar snobbery ... I'll cop to it without any argument! [blink

Jim

Midi, don't get me wrong, I WANT A CUSTOM!! I have always wanted the custom (see some of my very first posts here at Epi). I want all the binding and the inlays! But, dollar for dollar, and on a budget, if you want an Epi set neck, then you have to admit the Studio is the way to go!

I could satisfy my Custom GAS and my Black Beauty (2 pup) Gas with this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518073

It's even got a 'chrome' PG, not a white or cream! Oh, yeah!

Sheila

Archived