Gibson Brands Forums

Standing or sitting

Space Pup

When you practice do you prefer to stand or sit? With my acoustics I go back and forth. Some days I stand, some days I sit but I almost alway stand when playing electric. Ocasionaly I'll kick back in the recliner and play but the only guiatr that I can really do that comtortably with is my SG and even then I mostly just practice scales and riffs.

I like sitting mostly, almost exclusively with my acoustic's but will stand occasionally when playing my Strat. My wife and kids got me my chair for fathers day several years ago. It is the best in the business, made by a company called "Soundseat". They used to call it the "Wide ***" chair, but now I don't think you can get it with that name on there unless it is a special order. They are the best guitar chair I have ever seen!

Here's mine:

Soundseat.jpg

Hey TP - I'm seeing Leo Kottke - that's HARD to play.....

You are right, Leo is hard to immitate however his version of Jesu Joy in Open G tuning is beautiful. There are a few in that book that even a hack like me can master pretty well.... (or at least well enough for me to listen to!) =P~

You are right' date=' Leo is hard to immitate however his version of Jesu Joy in Open G tuning is beautiful. There are a few in that book that even a hack like me can master pretty well.... (or at least well enough for me to listen to!) =P~ [/quote']

i'm working on leo's version of "louise". we have a similar vocal range. leo likens

his voice to geese farts on a muggy day. i'd say that sums up my voice nicely, as well. now if i could only play like him.

I love listening to Leo. He is from the Minneapolis, MN area and has concerts around Christmas time each year. I have seen him a couple times and watching him on stage with just a 6 string and a 12 string on either side of him playing alone is amazing! I do have to say about his singing sounding like a Goose Fart on a Muggy Day is fairly close to the truth. There are only a couple songs where he sings I like, but I could listen to the man play guitar for hours!

By the way, if anyone is interested in the Soundseat chairs, I am posting their website. The owner J.R. Baker is a member who posts over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum (AGF). He has excellent customer service and builds a truly superior chair. I can literally sit for hours and be comfortable. I personally like the basic black model, but he has several colors and can do custom lettering or logos on any of his chairs. They are not cheap, but worth every penny! Sorry to you guys outside of the US, I am pretty sure shipping would be very expensive.

Check them out here: http://www.soundseat.com/

I love listening to Leo. He is from the Minneapolis, MN area and has concerts around Christmas time each year. I have seen him a couple times and watching him on stage with just a 6 string and a 12 string on either side of him playing alone is amazing! I do have to say about his singing sounding like a Goose Fart on a Muggy Day is fairly close to the truth. There are only a couple songs where he sings I like, but I could listen to the man play guitar for hours!

his singing is one thing but the between song stories are the best. the guy just totally cracks me up. i typically don't care to hear a lot of jabbering from the folks on stage but i actually look forward to hearing him ramble. tom waits is another one who had me in stitches when he wasn't blowing me away musically. i feel extremely lucky to have worked with leo several times and to have been able to see tom once. treasured memories.

Archived