Gibson Brands Forums

Love Live & Listen

Buc McMaster

It's been a dry spell for me lately when it comes to writing, but I have managed to scratch out this over the last two weeks. It is my typical fare; simple chord structure to provide a vehicle for lyrics and melody......and very short, under 2 minutes. As I fiddled with this particular melody it seemed like something I had heard before but I still cannot put a finger on it. (If it sounds familiar to anyone please tell me!) I'm still not satisfied with a line or two here, so maybe this is a bit of an early release..... As many of you know, singing and playing acoustic guitar solo can be quite an intimidating experience and we're all our own worse critics. With that in mind, pardon my fright as I sing my new song.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSMCZxLpDs

Love Live & Listen copyright 2010 MBBowen

The day will come....when my eyes no longer see

If the sun don't rise, won't make no difference to me

I won't hear....the thunder of a summer storm

Won't feel the rain on my face anymore

So while I am here....I will love, live and listen

Pour my soul over you and we'll know what we've been missin'

This is mine....by the grace of just letting go

And giving all means getting more than most will know

Love live and listen

I like it a great deal. Your sincerity and emotion is obvious, but this song offers far more than sincerity and emotion. I think you write very well. Very easy to listen-to. And there is absolutly nothing in the world wrong with a simple chord structure--------I Walk the Line, Sea of Heartbreak, You're Cheatin' Heart, Jambalaya(2 chords), Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain, Runaway, Detroit City, and on and on........all of Hank's songs, all of Johnny's songs, all of Merle's songs......Keep doing what you're doing. [thumbup]

"The day will come....when my eyes no longer see

If the sun don't rise, won't make no difference to me

I won't hear....the thunder of a summer storm

Won't feel the rain on my face anymore

So while I am here....I will love, live and listen"

Uhm-hm.

Thank you for the love! This particular tune could be so much more with more voices and instruments, and to that end some old friends have volunteered their considerable talents to do a studio take. An upright bass, second guitar and at least three voices for backing harmonies.....wow......it could sound pretty good. Something for the future, I reckon.

It was a tough weekend here. I'll just say that my belief in these words was put to a severe test..... Thanks again for your gracious comments!

I got to go with MrGibs' view. You don't need to add more voices/instruments. More is not always better. This song is very personal and intimate. Just you and your guitar personify that. Before (and this is simply my opinion) I did any changing, I'd get a real clean rendition of the song with just your vocal and guitar. As good as you feel you can make it. Do whatever tweeks seem necessary and see what you've got. There's a tremendous amount to be said for "simple."

Again, nice work.

Archived