Gibson Brands Forums

How to crack the paint and age a Les Paul?

starfoxhound

Read this article.The writer is correct.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19666-last-call-if-you-relic-your-guitar

Very good read, and illustrated with this telling argument:

Crystal_Boewersox_-_All_That_for_This.jpg

Perhaps the lady singer wants to suggest she was breached and bruised to a similar degree, and possibly with the same persistence? [confused]

• 4 years later...

Artificially aging a les Paul has its fans and not-so-fans, but there’s one comment here that’s worth checking on. 

“It won’t make it sound better” 

Perhaps not better, but if a good portion of raw wood is exposed on the body, usually the upper portion coming from arm movement and/or the back from beer belly, the tone of the instrument  will change. 

I own a 58 Standard  bought for 8 grand back in 1980 with a glossy not-so-good refinish job by its prior owner. Been playing it for 40 years -awesome. 

Five years ago, had a Japanese luthier properly restore the finish closer to its original state with a drier yet brighter fatness for a even more awesome tone. 

Perhaps my experience is not in line with relic aging but the tone of the Les Paul will change pertaining to the state of its finish. 

Never have understood the fascination of intentionaly damaging or "relicing" of an instrument.  Especially on the brand new ones.  And folks pay good $$ for that.   😕

Edited by arcticsg

Well, as yesterday was the 9th anniversary of the thread and the OP hasn't been seen here at all for 7 years I doubt he's still waiting for answers.

Who knows? By now it might possibly have 'weather-checked' of its own accord had he left well alone...

Pip.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pippy said:

Well, as yesterday was the 9th anniversary of the thread and the OP hasn't been seen here at all for 7 years I doubt he's still waiting for answers.

Who knows? By now it might possibly have 'weather-checked' of its own accord had he left well alone...

Pip.

Just think, he's been waiting for Ryu's input all this time. Now he can rest... Yes Virginia there is a...

4 hours ago, pippy said:

Pip.

LOL...😄

On 8/26/2010 at 6:41 AM, pippy said:

... Tom Murphy ages his limited run instruments largely through painstaking and time-consuming use of a craft-knife blade.

I wouldn't consider it  even if Tom Murphy was doing it to my guitar.  "Put that blade down, Tommy..  We are not going to be needing that here..."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 01GT eibach said:

I wouldn't consider it  even if Tom Murphy was doing it to my guitar.  "Put that blade down, Tommy..  We are not going to be needing that here..."

[laugh]

As you probably already know, Mr. Murphy began trying to learn how to replicate finish-checking when he was employed (I think by Gibson themselves) in a repair and restoration dept. He didn't think that when old instruments were repaired and the repaired area looked new that it was terribly satisfactory so he went about trying to blend-in the appearance of the repaired area to the original finish on these instruments.

His work really is quite remarkable. I've never bought a pre-aged guitar myself but if the process is done as well as Mr. Murphy can achieve then I can definitely see the appeal for many people.

Pip.