Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Need satin black Les Paul

46 and 2

Help! I am in desperate need of a Les Paul with a satin finish (flat black sometimes called matte black). It has to be a Gibson. A studio is fine. It has to have regular neck marker inlays so a Goth is out but I want the same type of flat black finish as a Goth. I thought I found one at a major guitar supplier. From a distance it looked flat black but when they hauled it down for me it had visible wood grain showing through and that is not what I wanted. I see in Musicians Friend they have a Studio listed as “Satin Ebony”. Does anyone know if this guitar is really flat satin or is there wood grain showing through when you look up close, or is that a black faded I was looking at at the guitar store? The picture on the web site of the “Satin Ebony” doesn’t show enough detail to see if there is wood grain showing or not.

My other option is to find one of the 400 “2007 guitar of the week #20” guitars which I have not been able to find. I listed a posting on the “Trading Post” forum but so far nothing. I guess instead of trying to find one of these I can build my own if I can find a Studio with a true Satin/matte/flat black finish. Any help on all of this would be much appreciated... I guess instead of trying

Not trying to be a d!ck head, but...

g973.jpg

Seriously, flat black is the easiest color in the world to spray.

Mask and shoot, it dries in seconds so it doesn't run.

Easy to see your results in a hurry, one light coat after another after another.

Really.

I mean, it's flat black so you aren't worried about the tiniest imperfection.

It'll hide anything, and from ten feet away nobody would EVER know the difference.

Any overspray or boo-boos can be scraped away before it hardens enough to be a problem.

Just a thought.

The one MF has listed is the one you saw at that store (like a vintage mahogany but in black, wood grain vissible and all).

I'm with Neo. If you are desperate you can just refinish one. That or Brundaddy's idea. [thumbup]

The 50 ann studio comes in satin black but it's got creme p90s and something tells me you are more interested in something with more growl and a more modern look.

200941818485534874.png

+1

I've got one with a black satin finish. After having it a while the neck got shiny, as well as some of the back, the spot your arm rubs on the bass side lower bout and the area where the pickguard would be (I took my pickguard off). So, a quick hit with some fine steel wool and it's matte again.

• 2 weeks later...

200941818485534874.png

Well instead of experimenting with a Gibson, I traded some unused gear for a Chinese made Fender and gave it the ol’ steel wool try…worked perfect. So well in fact that I kinda fell in love with the cheapo and dropped a couple hundred dollars on upgrades for it!! I am still going to keep looking for the satin Les Paul I was originally looking for but if I come across the right deal at least now I know I can “produce” a satin finish. I will get some pix posted of my cheapo project when I get the picture posting DNA double helix unraveled and mapped out

Thanks for the advice!!

Well instead of experimenting with a Gibson, I traded some unused gear for a Chinese made Fender and gave it the ol’ steel wool try…worked perfect. So well in fact that I kinda fell in love with the cheapo and dropped a couple hundred dollars on upgrades for it!! I am still going to keep looking for the satin Les Paul I was originally looking for but if I come across the right deal at least now I know I can “produce” a satin finish. I will get some pix posted of my cheapo project when I get the picture posting DNA double helix unraveled and mapped out

Thanks for the advice!!

Pics

Well instead of experimenting with a Gibson, I traded some unused gear for a Chinese made Fender and gave it the ol’ steel wool try…worked perfect. ... I will get some pix posted of my cheapo project when I get the picture posting DNA double helix unraveled and mapped out

Waitin' on the pics.

Pic posting help - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Archived