Gibson Brands Forums

Les Felder....Felder Paul

ZenKen

Anyone interested in the new Don Paul/Les Felder whatever the hell it is? For 10 grand you can get this baby brand spankin new. Or for another 4 grand, some factory weenie will brush some acid on the chrome parts and might even drag it across the parking lot a few times. And for something real special, pay old Donnie another 3 grand for his fickin signature. WTF? My dad got me Mickey Mantle's signature for free! Well, he may have had to buy old Mickey a bourbon B)

We won't.Collectors will.

The market dictates the price.

So what?

Well, that certainly is a valid point.

After all, there are sure to be at least a few collectors who will spring for one.

Then again, I don't know about how well the JP #2 Les Pauls have sold...or how well the Duane Allman sig sold a few years back...

I lost all my respect for Joe Walsh when he lowered his standards to join the Eagles.

Craig

Joe says he's sorry but he had some bad habits that needed paying for.

He also would like you to call him when you turn down the chance to play in what is arguably the top band in the country at the moment.

msp_rolleyes.gif

Joe says he's sorry but he had some bad habits that needed paying for.

He also would like you to call him when you turn down the chance to play in what is arguably the top band in the country at the moment.

msp_rolleyes.gif

My feelings about the Eagles are best described in the taxi scene in The Great Lebowski. Sorry if I spelled it wrong.

Craig

I don't think Gibson is expecting to sell the aged and signed ones to gigging musicians.

Other than collectors or very wealthy Eagles fanatics it's hard to think who would be that interested in buying any of the three editions.

They don't even have 'non-wire' ABR-1's...

I lost all my respect for Joe Walsh when he lowered his standards to join the Eagles.

Whilst I didn't exactly lose my respect for him I was, at the time, astonished by his decision to join what I thought of - erroneously - as a simple C'n'W band. I hadn't been playing that long but "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Turn To Stone" were fixtures in my "band's" playlist - partly because they were quite easy to play (badly).

I remember reading in an interview he admitted that playing with the Eagles was much more fun than touring as a solo act.

I made a thread a while ago about 'rip off' prices and was slated for it. 17k for a vos guitar that also sells for 8k on the same site. They say aged, but its only a few scrathes etc. As I've said before. They are only for the collectors. Why someone would want one I don't know. It's not like the artist has used them. Perhaps if an artist used 50 Les Pauls on a 50 date tour and you could buy one that has been used on that tour. That would be ok. But it's just a name.

STUPID. They should concentrate on quality. Not just profit. I've often looked on 'Wildwood' guitars and some of the tops aren't worth the money. If I was payind 10k for a 59 vos I'd want a matched top that was superior to 'standard' guitars. They all look the same quality. All the talk about original pups and long and short tenon. It's all worthless. How much is a pup? As I've said there should be normal Les Pauls for normal money and the VOS spec should be superb.

There should only be special editions for special people. Where's the Les Paul, Les Paul? What special things has Don F done?

I'm ranting now, so I'm off!

I like the Eagles and love Joe Walsh.

They've written some great songs.

But, What has Don Felder done for the advancement of the guitar?

He's not Jeff Beck is he?

As for the comment on have I got my name on a guitar.

Stupid comment!

I am a big fan of both Don Felder and Joe Walsh.

However, I think that those signature guitars are ridiculous. You are right they will go to rich collectors who are Eagles fans.

This whole hero worship thing with artist models of guitars is of no interest whatsoever to me. Yes . . . of course I know that a Les Paul guitar is by definition a signature model, but I think it is very different because Les Paul invented the Les Paul guitar.

There are many musicians and songwriters whose music I admire. But I admire it by listening to the music and enjoying it that way. Not by trying to be them by getting the same model of guitar. Then I may be influenced artistically by what they have done and it might be reflected in my own writing and playing in some way.

Each to his or her own, of course, but my feeling is less hero worship and more music appreciation.

Archived