Gibson Brands Forums

Cleanliness of guitars

bobrollar

So I know most of us try and keep our guitars clean, and most pictures I see on here on the galleries are pretty immaculate. But i dont know if its just me, but I just see the guitar as a tool to get the job done. Of course once I change strings ill try and wipe it down a little bit but sometimes i think the money people spend on these guitars, they get afraid to get them dirty or ding them up a lil bit. I know this is probably just the few rum & cokes talkin' but maybe we should see a real gallery of guitars that have seen some blood, and sweat put into playing them.

I dont know like I said....could be the few drinks talkin but I wanna know what you guys & gals think.

Easy Tman, having played for over 20 years, I have cut my teeth, sweat, and blood on a couple of my guitars (haven't had them that long, but I get the point across). I'd have to take picks, (I will) and they will show the cherished wear I have on them. I do have ones I like to keep as nice as possible, but I know eventually, they'll get their "character", just not ready for it now...

Tman hasn't been drinking Bob.

He's not old enough.

[unsure]

Yeah, I keep mine presentable but I wouldn't say I'm a neat freak.

Finish damage is another issue - I AM a freak about that.

But I don't play many gigs, and I rarely drink, so....

Just for the record I'm not completely wasted or anything, but I respect what you all have to say....i see it from Blackie's point of view, as much crap as he gets i think he is one of the few on this forum that really knows what I'm talking about. Nothing against you Tman, like i said i respect what you all have to say, but normal cleaning on your guitar is expected, but some of the images I've been seeing lately look like that have not been played yet out of the box from the factory.....give em some character guys & gals!

Just for the record I'm not completely wasted or anything, but I respect what you all have to say....i see it from Blackie's point of view, as much crap as he gets i think he is one of the few on this forum that really knows what I'm talking about. Nothing against you Tman, like i said i respect what you all have to say, but normal cleaning on your guitar is expected, but some of the images I've been seeing lately look like that have not been played yet out of the box from the factory.....give em some character guys & gals!

I also understand what your saying, and I play that SG in my avatar every single day. I just polish it once a week. And wipe it off after every time I play it. I also store it in it's case whenever I'm not using it. msp_biggrin.gif

Maybe this instead of bubble wrap, eh?

zz_top.jpg

I just polish it once a week.

And wipe it off after every time I play it.

I also store it in it's case whenever I'm not using it.

Hell, some of mine have NEVER been polished!

And I have guitars from as far back as 1959 if you wanna count my Gretsch lap steel - they ALL look good.

There's a ding or two on every one of them, but none that are noticeable from across the room or stage.

I keep mine inside a cabinet to ward off dust, but beyond that they only get a good cleaning when I string 'em.

And that might be a year or more....

I gig with my instruments. I wipe them down before putting them in the case, I clean them when changing the strings (monthly) but they do get worn, and that's OK with me.

The guitar and other instruments are tools, and (1) I keep them in good working order because I depend on them to make my living and (2) I keep them reasonably nice looking but do not obsess about the normal wear and tear they get. In the life of an instrument, I will make more money gigging than I could ever hope to sell it for once it became a collectors item.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Well having a clean guitar is wierd to me. it shows the love that a person puts thru a guitar. my guitar has been smudgeed for thirty years or so and there is no way its coming off [thumbup] i do wipe away all the dust from under the strings when i change them.

nicks and dents makes a guitar retro :rolleyes:

Archived