Gibson Brands Forums

The proper way to age a finish

pippy

Proper way to age a guitar.

1) Play it

2) Repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat..........

+1.

More fun, too.

EDIT : I've added a bit at the start of the first post to clarify things a bit.

Sorry for any confusion.

EDIT : This has happened naturally. I DIDN'T DO IT MYSELF....

Just wanted to clear up any misunderstanding!

Pippy, I had this happen to my first electric guitar (it came from Italy), which I no longer have. I think it's called "checking" in the finish.

I just called them spider cracks because it looked like a spider's web. Yeh, it's pretty odd. I've only seen it happen on a few guitars. I'm not

exactly sure what cause it (extreme weather changes???), but it's not something I like on my prized guitars.

Newchecking04.jpg

Newchecking06.jpg

Newchecking01.jpg

Newchecking02.jpg

Newchecking05.jpg

Newchecking03.jpg

Pippy, I had this happen to my first electric guitar (it came from Italy), which I no longer have. I think it's called "checking" in the finish.

I just called them spider cracks because it looked like a spider's web. Yeh, it's pretty odd. I've only seen it happen on a few guitars. I'm not

exactly sure what cause it (extreme weather changes???), but it's not something I like on my prized guitars.

Over the course of a long time, it's simply the finish drying out and cracking. If it happens over a relatively short period of time, it's extreme weather changes. I take care to let my guitars adjust to temperature changes and to avoid putting them in that situation in the first place.

You can help prevent this from happening by, first, taking care to not allow a guitar to sit for an extended period of time in a temperature outside of where it's normally kept. When that's not avoidable, after moving the guitar to a more normal environment, allow the case to sit for a while before opening it so the temperature will change more slowly. If you can't wait, open the case and fan some air inside and close it back up and repeat every couple of minutes; that'll speed up the process without making it such a abrupt change from one extreme to another.

I have an early 1970s Guild S100c pre-Fender, American made carved-top SG "clone" that has the same sorta checkering on the finish. Otherwise it looks almost new.

It's simply part of age of a given guitar. I s'pose a chromed brass Dobro wouldn't do that, but wood expands and contracts at a rate different from many finishes. The guitar still plays like a dream.

m

This is one of mine that has aged nicely the natural way.

Gorgeous Fender XII, KL. Very sweet indeed!

Is that the R0? How did it happen?

Personally I think the best way is time. But, hey, who am I to say?[thumbdn]

As I said at the very start of the post it has happened naturally (i.e. read "time" and "play", sparky. Does that mean you might change your " [thumbdn] "? ).

Apparently, according to those in-the-know over on the MLP forum, the "Historic Division" re-issues crafted in the early '90s used a variety of different Nitro-finishes in the search for the compound which 'worked best'. My R0, dating from '95, was made when the product then in favour turned out to be more susceptible to changes in temperature and humidity than the finish used subsequently. Added to the fact that my guitar had an unusual life where it spent it's first 13 years, unplayed, in a museum-grade display case before I bought it and, as it is now played everyday, this change of circumstances has put the finish under a certain amount of 'stress' which contributed to the finish starting to check.

It seems that once the finish starts the checking process it will carry on checking.

The lines are almost invisible to the naked eye under normal lighting conditions. These snaps were taken under very acute, directional contrasty lighting and show the lines at their most prominent.

They don't bother me in the least.

The guitar sounds better than anything else I have ever played so why should I worry about some checking? Most of the '58 - '60 'bursts will look something like this anyhow!

I would never artificially 'age' any of my instruments, BTW.

Hope that answers some of your questions/concerns.

Cheers.

This checking is caused by poor formulation lacquer/varnish, usually synthetic polyurethane etc. Nitrocellulose is a more 'natural' finish with more 'give' and flexibilty to move with temp changes etc. To age a finish you need patience...but if you have no patience try the H G Wells technique : place said guitar in Time Machine and remotely crank handle forward 30+ years, being very careful not to crank yourself forward 30+ years or you will be aged in parallel......

Hey!

Where did you get the snap of my bath-chair???

My finish is Nitro but obviously not what they use now...

(I really love 3-wheeler Moggie's, BTW.)

Yes older Nitro if stressed can check badly, I think the modern mixes are more sophisticated/flexible. Drool on this 21st century Moggie-a-like with a Guzzi engine...still in production I believe although tres exclusive.

Archived