Gibson Brands Forums

Quick...! Recommend One

Triumph1050

Gonna order some John Pearse strings for my SWD.

I see them recommended alot and thought Id try a set. Currently been using D'addario EJ16s and Martin SPs.

Which JPs do ya'll recommend for my SWD?

I'm a chord strummer mainly playing for church and the kids here at our boarding school.

Was leaning towards the PB 700 medium 13s...or some 80/20s but welcome suggestions.

Thanks.

Also...I think I'll toss in some never tried before DR Sunbeam 13s. From what Ive read they work well with RW/Spruce dreads.

DR Sunbeam strings are my strings of choice. Have not come across a better set that can warm up a guitar, combined with easy fretting and long life. They make my CW sound sweet as. However Ive just ordered a whole bunch of strings including JP PB's which will be a first for me. Ive also ordered DR Sunbeams mids (13's) which I will try on the SWD as I think I could handle them as they bend so easily, then the JP's. However will have to wait a while as Ive sent the saddle and pins to Bob Colosi to get some bone replacement. Will be interested how the tone compares on the SWD and also Ibanez Concord which is a great mid 80's Hummingbird copy.

But my clear advice is definitely give the Sunbeams a go, awesome strings !

I used Pearse strings (PB .012) for many years on Alvarez, Martin and Gibson guitars of various description and liked them. At some point I turned my attention to string tonalities and got more critical of what differences they brought to the table. Pearse sets on my old SJ200 and my current CJ165 sounded very good after a few hours time, being quite zippy sounding when new; kind of brash like a crash cymbal. They settled down well and sounded much better, but this window of good tone was short lived. After a week or so they seemed to lose pretty much everything tonaly, turning flat-toned and lifeless. Experimented with Rotosound, D'Addario, Gibson and DR sets for quite some time, and the clear winner for me and my guitar are DR Sunbeams. No new string brashness, great thumping bottom and strong, clear mids. The round core makes for a bit less tension, they hold a tune very well and they last and last and last, hanging on to that "6-hours-broken-in" tone for much longer than others I have tried.

As some may know, I do not like a bright, trebly tone in an acoustic guitar. I like the highs to be more bell-like, opposed to a tinky, shrill sound, and I prefer more fundamental in the sound, with minimal overtones. So much of string tone relies on the string bed: nut, saddle and pin materials make a world of difference. To that end, I chose ivory for all on my 165. The softer material goes a long way toward muting that glassy tone in the high and high-mid frequencies and imparts a very warm tone to the whole thing. Every guitar is different, as is every ear that hears them. As you listen to your guitar, identify specifically what parts of the tone you like and which might seem a bit distacting or annoying to your ear. Make adjustments in strings, nut, saddle, etc to dial in what pleases you.

I used Pearse strings (PB .012) for many years on Alvarez, Martin and Gibson guitars of various description and liked them. At some point I turned my attention to string tonalities and got more critical of what differences they brought to the table. Pearse sets on my old SJ200 and my current CJ165 sounded very good after a few hours time, being quite zippy sounding when new; kind of brash like a crash cymbal. They settled down well and sounded much better, but this window of good tone was short lived. After a week or so they seemed to lose pretty much everything tonaly, turning flat-toned and lifeless. Experimented with Rotosound, D'Addario, Gibson and DR sets for quite some time, and the clear winner for me and my guitar are DR Sunbeams. No new string brashness, great thumping bottom and strong, clear mids. The round core makes for a bit less tension, they hold a tune very well and they last and last and last, hanging on to that "6-hours-broken-in" tone for much longer than others I have tried.

As some may know, I do not like a bright, trebly tone in an acoustic guitar. I like the highs to be more bell-like, opposed to a tinky, shrill sound, and I prefer more fundamental in the sound, with minimal overtones. So much of string tone relies on the string bed: nut, saddle and pin materials make a world of difference. To that end, I chose ivory for all on my 165. The softer material goes a long way toward muting that glassy tone in the high and high-mid frequencies and imparts a very warm tone to the whole thing. Every guitar is different, as is every ear that hears them. As you listen to your guitar, identify specically what parts of the tone you like and which might seem a bit distacting or annoying to your ear. Make adjustments in strings, nut, saddle, etc to dial in what pleases you.

There you go. How can a man who speaks so much sense hang up his boots? I dunno!

We all know what we like but if you are like me, it's hard to articulate. When I bought my first proper acoustic about 7 years ago (Yamaha FG423) I used to love the sound of new strings on it. Used Elixirs alot and they suited that guitar and my ears very well. I have recently sold it to a co-workers daughter and strung it up with Martin SPs 12s - which is what I have a stock of. I couldn't put it down. It sounded so good.

Elixirs don't work for me or my ears now on the SWD.

I know this is off the point but I really would like to hear your experience of the JPs and Sunbeams on your SWD, particularly compared to Martin SPs which are my favourites at the moment.

I have JP PB 11's on my SWD right now. I've been pleasantly surprised with them. This was the first set of them I've ever used, and also the lightest gauge on my SWD I've used. They are really bright, especially for the first few days before you wear them in. Almost makes the Rosewood Gibby sound a bit jangly. If that makes any sense:)

I really like the JP's that I have. I'm sure they don't last as long as elixirs as others have pointed out, but I've been very pleased with them. FWIW

Happy string hunting to you!

Well, I bought some DR Sunbeam 12s.

After doing alot of reading on strings I think these will suit my needs. Decided against the JPs for now as the general consensus around the 'net is "sounds great, dont last long". I'll probably try 'em someday as strings in general arent that expensive.

But, havent tried the DRs yet either and for my SWD they look like they may be a good fit.

So after going to buy a set of JP PB 10's, I ended up with Martin SP 11's. The guy I know, who works at my local shop, talked me out of the JP 10's. I'm going to give them a shot this afternoon, I'll let you know what I find. I haven't had these SP's on my SWD. Kind of excited to try 'em.

Let us know how you went. Just make sure you dont cut them until fully tuned ... or it will be straight into the rubbish bin !

After doing alot of reading on strings I think these will suit my needs. Decided against the JPs for now as the general consensus around the 'net is "sounds great, dont last long". I'll probably try 'em someday as strings in general arent that expensive.

But, havent tried the DRs yet either and for my SWD they look like they may be a good fit.

Was a regular of D'Addario EJ19 (Light Top/Medium Bottom) but now I really like DR Rare RPBG 12/56 (Medium) a whole lot on my J-100xtra. The gauges are pretty close but the DRs are true in a hurry and they stay that way for longer than the D'Addarios (which, I also found, seemed to take longer to settle in). I'll take the EJ19s in a pinch, but I keep the DRs handy now.

A couple of weeks ago, I sent my kids out to pick up some strings and didn't notice they'd come back with the wrong gauge (not totally their fault--DR's packaging leaves some to be desired). But it was late when I put em on and, compromised by who knows what, I wasn't paying enough attention until...ACK and GASP!! Sounded like I'd strung my baby with hair! The top knows and remembers where it likes to vibrate. (An emergency string run in the a.m. cured things...)

Bump.

Any verdict yet?

OK, got the DR Sunbeam 13s on.

Without sounding too corny...they are the best strings I've ever played on this guitar. A Songwriter Deluxe. Just took off EJ16s and before that Martin SPs. Both are fine strings but I like these better.

They RING...and ring and ring. I read that they start out a little "mellow" compared to others but warm up really nice.

These seem very strong to me right off. Some of that is the guitar itself and some is they are 13s/mediums.

It sounds like each string is amplified and even when playing chords can hear each one individually doing it job.

The sustain is incredible.

Just great strings....for now. They are known to be long lasting but we'll see.

I highly recommend them.

OK, got the DR Sunbeam 13s on. Without sounding too corny...they are the best strings I've ever played on this guitar.

DRs win again! I love 'em on my CJ. They last for a long time. In the past I have been one to change strings quite frequently, like every couple of weeks whether they needed it or not.........always seemed like the guitar lost something tonaly pretty quickly. The set on the guitar now have been there for about six weeks and, though a bit discolored, they still sound great. Plenty of volume and sustain, not a hint of going flat. I don't know what it is, but Sunbeams perform.

Glad you like them on your guitar!!

Without sounding too corny...they are the best strings I've ever played on this guitar. A Songwriter Deluxe. Just took off EJ16s and before that Martin SPs. Both are fine strings but I like these better.

They RING...and ring and ring. I read that they start out a little "mellow" compared to others but warm up really nice.

These seem very strong to me right off. Some of that is the guitar itself and some is they are 13s/mediums.

It sounds like each string is amplified and even when playing chords can hear each one individually doing it job.

I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the update Triumph1050. Might have to try a set myself.

Im in complete agreement !

Ive loved DR Sunbeams for some time, but Ive placed a set of 13's on my CW and it took the tone (and playability) to a whole new level. (had 12's before) It just gets better and better, in fact they are going on all my acoustics.

Check out the recording I made that is currently on my other post, its the CW with Sunbeams 13's.

I highly recommend them.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to 'reopen' this topic about strings for SWD.

Has anyone further experimented with strings on their SWD since the last post couple months back ?

Im still not 100% satisfied with the DR Sunbeams on the SWD (unlike the CW where they are just ideal) and looking to try a few other brands / types. Im looking for a bit more sparkle on the top end. I find the Sunbeams just a tad too mellow and not really bring out the full potential of the rosewood. I tried Daddario 80/20's and while i definitely go a lot more high end sparkle i lost the warmth ... so Im trying to find something in between.

Anyone else experiment recently, and what have been the results ?

cheers !

Archived