Gibson Brands Forums

Is it a buyers' market for used Gibsons?

heymisterk

The thread headline pretty much speaks for itself. I have heard that it is, overall. But as I have searched for used Les Pauls, I must say I am disappointed that prices on used LP Standards haven't come down as much as I would like. I am realistic, of course: LPs hold their value more than just about any guitar I know of. But still...

Thoughts?

Yes, it is definitely a "buyer's market" at the moment, and has been for a couple of years. The used/vintage guitar market has crashed just like everything else in the US economy.

When analyzing the market you must make one very important distinction, "asking" prices versus "selling" prices. Sellers are very hesitant to admit and accept the downturn in the market, and therefore you see unrealistic asking prices, and MANY UNSOLD instruments. Just look at the "completed listings" on e-bay and look at all the red numbers (unsold, 0 bids, reserve not met, offer refused, etc).

Many sellers need a wake up call on asking prices and market values. They don't seem to understand why they're holding unsold instruments.

Good point Larry... I found a killer flamed 2001 Flamed Vintage burst ES 175... Asking price was $2225.00 I offered $2000.00 out the door but they refused my offer... I was really surprised cause guitars aren't flying off the shelves these days... If they took my $2000.00 I'd be posting pics right now!!

I don't know, I know the Gibson SG MSRP has dropped by 200$ on the Long&mcquade website.

True story though, I was searching Kijiji for Trucks and I found a guy with a beat up old 56 or 58 Ford. He listed it as no breaks,no windshield, shocks and struts gone, "some rust", and only one or two gears work. Will take 4800.00 call..

What a steal!

Here is a perfect example: On Craigslist I saw a very nice LP Standard, an '05 in excellent shape in tobaccoburst. It was a sweet guitar, but he said his price was $1,600, nothing less; as a result, the guitar has sat unsold for months now.

Did he say something like "price is firm" in his ad or did you actually contact him and then he said that? There's a difference. A lot of people put "price is firm" or "no trades" but many still negotiate and take trades. Go figure!

Remember this - money talks. Go check out a guitar you like, if you like it make an offer and show them the cash. People often change their tune once they see $$. If they say no, start walking out and he'll stop you in your tracks. Negotiating over the phone or email often gets you nowhere.

Here is a perfect example: On Craigslist I saw a very nice LP Standard, an '05 in excellent shape in tobaccoburst. It was a sweet guitar, but he said his price was $1,600, nothing less; as a result, the guitar has sat unsold for months now.

Maybe he's waiting for someone to offer him $1,500.00 for it?

I don't know. It seems to me if he wanted to sell it he would.

In Orange County, CA craigslist adds run from $1,300 on up for LP Standards. The prices for Customs are $2,300 and up.

I offered him $1,500. Here was his reply:

"I am not interested in anything else lower ever so my price is firm as it says in the ad, so please don't try to negotiate anything other than $1600 cash."

What a swell guy...

What a tool. Does he want it sold or not?

Seriously, shoot Lance at EM Shorts an email. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the pricing.

$1600 for a used Standard in good shape is a decent price imo. if he said his price was firm, what's the big deal? Not everyone selling something needs to sell it, much less quickly. there's no harm in trying to haggle, but that doesn't make the guy a jerk for turning you down.

though i will admit that when i post an ad with a firm price, I don't even respond to offers lower than what I am asking.

Yep. he can price it wherever he wants.

If he's not a motivated seller, he's kinda fishing.

I've done it many times on Ebay, because I ain't giving anything away.

Even with GOOD prices, somebody wants to throw lowball prices at you on the outside chance you're desperate or stupid.

Yep. he can price it wherever he wants.

If he's not a motivated seller, he's kinda fishing.

I've done it many times on Ebay, because I ain't giving anything away.

Even with GOOD prices, somebody wants to throw lowball prices at you on the outside chance you're desperate or stupid.

This is true. When I sold my Bluesbird, the offers I got were actually insulting.

Archived