Gibson Brands Forums

Do you actually want to learn the theory and stuff?

Naradien

+1

I hate using tab. I know this is just me' date=' but whenever I see a song transcribed in TAB form, I think that it's made for stupid musicians. I know that what I said is offensive, but we already created a fool-proof way how to read music, and it can be transposed into other different instruments (treble clef works not only for guitar, but for voice, piano, etc., while TAB is only for guitar and bass.) Also, theory really works its magic if you ever teach. It'll explain WHY you're doing what you're doing. [/quote']

TAB sucks.

Nah' date=' you don't need to know theory. Unless, of course, you want to be a good guitar player.[/quote']

Absolutely true.

Try to learn guitar without having some knowledge of theory behind it and SADLY, you won't even realize how difficult you are making it on yourself. Thats why so many idiots who don't know better say not to bother.

Never take advice from someone who is uneducated themselves! Especially if they bash education!

Not bothering with theory may seem like a short cut in the short run, but if you are serious about learning the instrument for the long run, knowing theory will actually be the real short cut in the long run.

As far as tab goes, most tab is not written by people who understand theory in the first place or don't know what they're doing so - garbage in - garbage out.

Which explains why soooo many of the tabs on the internet are wrong! I've yet to try one and go - "yeah that's it." Invariably they need correcting. Suffice it to say a guitarist who has talent and knows theory has better things to do than write free tabs for the internet!

Word to the wise youngsters, pick up as much theory as you can. Doesn't mean you have to be a perfect sight reader tomorrow, but it does mean you should understand why you are playing what you are playing. That killer lick sounds killer for a reason - that reason is theory.

Another way to put it, I rarely get blown away by a player who knows less theory than me, but I am regularly put in my place by those who know more!

I love learning music theory. To me its just as exciting as learning a new song. It takes me a while to fully comprehend what exactly it is that I am trying to learn, but when it all clicks, its really cool. I started to take piano lessons, it really helped with learning theory and I can read music better then I ever could. Plus its kind of cool to be able to play another instrument. Now ear training is another story, I only wish I could do that.

I do think learning music theory is pretty awesome too, however, there can be some parts that i find boring, but the rest is really interesting, and helps alot. For example you can learn about keys and how to use em in soloing!

Theory. Hands-down.

It may seem boring' date=' but most of the elite guitar players that we all idolize tend to know a heck of a lot of theory (more than we realize and more than they care to admit).

[/quote']

Eddie Van Halen was a fully trained classical pianist before he ever picked up a guitar.

I'll bet that most of the popular idols have little music theory behind them. Beatles, Page, Stones, on and on......Talent (natural ability), seems to overcome all boundaries! :) Their music theory was listening and learning from records, and then the raw talent comes in....You can't be taught that! I thought I just remember reading EVH had taken piano lessons not that he was a fully trained classical pianist. Are you sure about that?

I do think learning music theory is pretty awesome too' date=' however, there can be some parts that i find boring, but the rest is really interesting, and helps alot. For example you can learn about keys and how to use em in soloing![/quote']

Think of it as learning math or even a new language. Studying theory can be tedious and boring but

also extremely rewarding. Definitely helps you get around that fretboard quicker opposed to just guessing

where the notes are. I wish I had a better grasp on theory myself, but without the basics that I have learned,

I'd be one lost mofo. Nothing wrong with tabs either, but learn as much as you can with music. The sky's the limit.

I think theory is very important. Any good player who says they know nothing about theory is BS IMO. They may not know formal terms for what they're doing, but they know what notes go together and what chords to play.

The unique thing about guitar is that it is sometimes easier to "cheat" than learn the proper way. For example, you might learn some chord shape without really learning all the notes that make it up. Say it's a Gmaj7. Well just move that shape up 2 frets and it's Amaj7 etc. With most other instruments you have to change your whole fingering if you change keys. With guitar, most of the time you just play the same thing in another position on the fretboard for different keys.

That's why tab is so popular. With pure sheet music, you not only have to read the notes but figure out where on the fretboard you're giong to play the notes, since there are so many ways to play the same notes on a guitar.

I would *like* to learn theory (I have a basic knowledge) but' date=' after playing for over 25 years with only two or three years of lessons early on, I feel like an old dog and don't think I would have the time or patience to learn at this point. [/quote']

Ditto.

Except I didn't take near as many lessons.

I see the value in expanding and applying knowledge - IF guitar moves you in such a way.

Never said I could play worth a damn, but I have some nice gear and I can amuse myself endlessly learning new songs by simply figuring them out from a cd.

After all the school and training I've gone thru in various jobs (and hobbies) I reserve a few things for sheer enjoyment.

I've accomplished much for a redneck white boy wearing a blue collar - nuke power is stimulating enough for my brain.

I plug into an amp and just ROCK, playing whatever I want at home.

I sit in with a band now and then, and play strictly rhythm onstage. The two regular guitarists are monsters on lead.

After all these years, I just play for me.

"With most other instruments you have to change your whole fingering if you change keys. With guitar, most of the time you just play the same thing in another position on the fretboard for different keys."

Absolutely a great point! That's why knowing theory pays off more for us guitar players than, let's say, those poor horn players.

First off, I wouldn't say 'TABS SUCK', they can come in handy for beginners who want to get started with guitar without becoming frustrated with all the 'PhD' stuff (Theory) of learning the guitar.

I do prefer theory though, I am 44 and starting to learn more of the so called 'PhD' stuff. I'm coming in contact with more and more peps who play bass or guitar and I want to be able to jam with them. So when they say something like, "Hey, let's jam in the key of 'Am'", I'll know where to play. SO that is what I am trying to learn, what scales to play over certain chords and in which keys. To me, IMO, is one of the most important things in learning guitar. It makes playing much more enjoyable. Leaning songs is ok, but I'm tired of people coming over and making request, that's not why I play. I play to be creative and so to be creative, ya need to know some theory, just focus on the part you want to learn.

I've been taking music theory on the violin for 7 years and I'm only 13. Yes, it has come in handy, heck, in my age group for the violin, I have won contests with ease. Every time I have been judged for an actual music festival, I have always gotten the highest rating possible, superior. But I have to practice like crazy. I HAVE to practice at least 45 minutes a day. Is it fun, no, because I've become a total perfectionist and if I make one mistake on a song, bam, I start over. But when I finally do get something perfect, I feel accomplished. All of the hard work put into all of it, it pays off.

But I don't do that on guitar. I play to have fun. And it is fun. But the classical theory from the violin comes in handy, since the violin and the guitar are both stringed instruments, they are very similar. One thing that really helps me is one lesson of classical theory, the less movement you make when you play, the faster you can play. The only thing with guitar is, the reason I didn't learn how to actually read music on the guitar is because I didn't want to get it's fingerings for notes mixed up with the violin's. I have played other instruments before, and that's happened, so I wanted to make sure it doesn't happen again. And it hasn't, so I read tabs, instead.

Sorry for the really long post.

Hey guys' date=' I have a question..When you learn guitar(from anywhere), do you want to learn the theory and stuff? Or do you just take tabs and stuff to the teacher (or whatever) and play em, and let your guitar rip? I think that the theory and stuff is sort of boring =D>

LOL... That's great with me, because it's people like myself who remain in work, and have done so for over 40 years.

If you you don't know any theory, you could always hit lucky with a named band, but if you don't, you'll probably be restricted in the work you can do.

Back in the 70's I was working with Kevin Coyne and a blues band on an afternoon session.. Down to the Hilton and Dorchester hotel in London for around 9pm to work with a dance band, then at 2 am in the morning over to a clip joint in Bond street to work with a Hammond organ trio. Then when that finished, I took 6 nights a week backing cabaret in a London nightclub. All sorts of work and boy when someone came up with a number in say E and then wanted it changed to Bb, or threw a chart at you, you had to know what to do.

Of course knowing theory doesn't necessarily make one a better player, but it sure helped me survive in the music biz all my life. And when I was taking these jobs, all the guys with the 'I don't need to know any theory' outlook were stacking shelves at the local supermarket.

I'm not saying one has to go into any great depth, but knowing what you are doing sure helps, as opposed to being able to play something without he faintest idea what you are doing, or could do.

Mash, re-read that earlier post of Tim's regarding the major scale and how it relates to basic chords. If you don't understand that clearly, start there. If you do, I'm sure one of us can throw something else at ya. O:)

Yeah SP, I think of it as a really, really big crossword puzzle.

Once you get a few words in it, more words become apparent.

A chord IS a scale, at least a partial scale.

It's all relative.

Any knowledge is good, more knowledge is better, learn all you can.

Otherwise, you'll be a two-string power-chord hack like me....

:-)

Archived