Pizzah Pies

Artie Owl

Good Day to the thread...I hope you are having a good day

You are all wrong, as usual, the best food period is in the UK

Just get used to it

We invented curry and it just gets better from then on

I have an Italian restaurant close by which is 'top hole'

And wipes the floor with other pretenders' pizzas

We also have the best Scooter Delivery System in the world....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halifax is famous for something called a "Donair", which you can buy at Pizza shops around here, it's cooked, spiced shaved beef wrapped in a pita with onions and tomatoes, with donair sauce which is essentially sugar and cream mixed together.

It was started here, some other places around N.A tried to pick it up but they just don't make em like they do here. Some people may know them as "Gyros" but they got their start right here in Halifax, local food, mmm.

Halifax is famous for something called a "Donair", which you can buy at Pizza shops around here, it's cooked, spiced shaved beef wrapped in a pita with onions and tomatoes, with donair sauce which is essentially sugar and cream mixed together.

It was started here, some other places around N.A tried to pick it up but they just don't make em like they do here. Some people may know them as "Gyros" but they got their start right here in Halifax, local food, mmm.

I believe this may be Doner...as in Doner Kebab...which is trad Greek cuisine

I have a huge number of Greek owned Fish'n Chip shops nearby and they all have the vertical spit grill thing

I think Doner actually refers to lamb meat...so it may be adapted to beef etc

I would be interested to know if that is correct.

Greek is where I've seen it.

Mrs. Neo LOVES Greek food, so I treat her now and then.

Ya know, the Greeks were way ahead of the game when it comes to cuisine.

They were centuries ahead of anybody here in North America...

[rolleyes]

Similarly, New Orleans and the rest of the Cajuns (French, eh?) had a sandwich called a Muffaletta.

Schlotsky's sandwich chain was started on that concept and spread around the world with their "new" sandwich in the seventies.

Pita Gyros? (Like heros/subs/grinders/etc. Same stuff, different name by locations).

Where's dem00n? He should be an authority on Greek cuisine. Gyros_C5878.jpg

My prefernce is for NY style pizza (thin crust- sausage, Villa Gaudio in Astoria, Queens was pretty good) or Chicago style (Gino's). Not a big fan of the chain pie stores, my kids eat pizza the hut though.

There is a Bar/Restaurant, the Star Tavern- East Orange NJ) around here that makes a Clam pizzapie. It's dough, cheese and white clam sauce (as in linguine w/ white clam sauce). - A couple of pitchers of beer and a half dozen clam pies, along with salad. [thumbup]

Pita Gyros? (Like heros/subs/grinders/etc. Same stuff, different name by locations).

Where's dem00n? He should be an authority on Greek cuisine. Gyros_C5878.jpg

My prefernce is for NY style pizza (thin crust- sausage, Villa Gaudio in Astoria, Queens was pretty good) or Chicago style (Gino's). Not a big fan of the chain pie stores, my kids eat pizza the hut though.

There is a Bar/Restaurant, the Star Tavern- East Orange NJ) around here that makes a Clam pizzapie. It's dough, cheese and white clam sauce (as in linguine w/ white clam sauce). - A couple of pitchers of beer and a half dozen clam pies, along with salad. [thumbup]

Not the same, same idea, but try a Donair and a Gyro and you'll understand.

Yeah the Cajuns were expelled Acadians, the South just had a hard time saying "Acadian" so it got shortened to Cajun. Acadians were french settlers the british booted out of Nova Scotia.

Yeah the Cajuns were expelled Acadians, the South just had a hard time saying "Acadian" so it got shortened to Cajun.

Acadians were french settlers the british booted out of Nova Scotia.

Very GOOD!!!

That's why I had this > > (French, eh?)

[biggrin]

EDIT: Those people are a breed apart.

I've worked with people from all fifty states and around the globe.

Cajuns are something else... [blink]

St. Louis Style in the following order.

1. Imo's

2. Cecil Whitaker's

3. Papa John's (Not St. Louis Style, but still good. And it's my kids' favorite so I gotta get it every once in a while.)

4. St. Louis Pizza & Wings

5. Rich & Charlie's

7. Pasta House

8. Elicia's

9. DON'T LIKE PIZZA HUT

10. DON'T LIKE DOMINO'S

Probably many others that I can't think of.

As for toppings, anything except Anchovies. Favorite: Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, & Mushroom (The John Ulett Special).

Most Cajun music is 2 chords....I and V

Designed for knees-up partying and Bontemps Roulez type stuff

They have serious competitions to establish who can play alternate foot bass drum rhythm

They have serious competitions to establish who can play triangle

They sing Franglais mix patois

Their food is excellent and somewhat greasy...in a word

Cajuns Are Something Else...!!

Yeah the Cajuns were expelled Acadians, the South just had a hard time saying "Acadian" so it got shortened to Cajun. Acadians were french settlers the british booted out of Nova Scotia.

I might be splitting hairs here since my French roots are Quebecois, but didn't the Acadians come out of New Brunswick?

Depends on the type of pizza.

Deep dish - spinach and onions. The classic way to eat this pie.

Hand tossed - This is my personal favorite and anyone from Michigan knows that the mom & pop town pizzeria will have this style. I like everything except sausage on these. The more toppings the better.

Thin crust - my least favorite unless it is wood fired. Here less is more. For me it's the classic margarita style: tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil.

I love pizza. Being Italian and from NY it might be in my blood. Now that I live in FL, the GREAT Pizza places are few and far between. In New York, it was Satellite Pizza in Bayport, LI. It kinda sucked my last visit though. Someone bought out the place, and is trying to expand to a full restaurant. So their full meals got better, but the pizza got worse. In FL I go to my cousin's pizzeria Alfonso's. It's his father-in-laws, who is straight from Italy.

I'm pretty traditional as far as toppings go, either Cheese, Cheese & Pepperoni, or Cheese & Black Olives. I don't like to mask the taste of the cheese and sauce too much, cause that's what is important, to me anyway. And I don't eat pizza from Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominos, etc. Those are an insult to pizza in my opinion, but to each his own.

Depends on the type of pizza.

Deep dish - spinach and onions. The classic way to eat this pie.

Hand tossed - This is my personal favorite and anyone from Michigan knows that the mom & pop town pizzeria will have this style. I like everything except sausage on these. The more toppings the better.

Thin crust - my least favorite unless it is wood fired. Here less is more. For me it's the classic margarita style: tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil.

I will say, Michigan does have some pretty good pizza.

I will say, Michigan does have some pretty good pizza.

Hell yes. My home state does hand tossed better than anyone else. That was the hardest thing to get used to when I moved to Chicago. All of the pizza here is either stuffed pie or thin crust.

St. Louis Style in the following order.

1. Imo's

2. Cecil Whitaker's

3. Papa John's (Not St. Louis Style, but still good. And it's my kids' favorite so I gotta get it every once in a while.)

4. St. Louis Pizza & Wings

5. Rich & Charlie's

7. Pasta House

8. Elicia's

9. DON'T LIKE PIZZA HUT

10. DON'T LIKE DOMINO'S

Probably many others that I can't think of.

As for toppings, anything except Anchovies. Favorite: Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, & Mushroom (The John Ulett Special).

I wasnt aware that the uman had a pizza named after him. Where? I completely agree with your list, but at the top Id have a hole in the wall pizza place, its out in Maryland heights, their slogan is its the best! and they are RIght! its a place called Serra's. about as italian as you can get.

Archived