Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III or Vox Night Train w/cab

chase1410

Hey guys, i know i had a similar topic with the Vox Night Train or a Peavey C30...but guess what...The coffee destroyed Peavey has been brought back from the dead, to sing evermore. So...now I am about to pull the trigger on either a Vox Night Train or the new upgraded Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 3....I dont have the axcess to go test these out in person, so i would like to hear a few opinions...the new hot rod deluxe is supposed to have a better overdrive circuit with tighter, and just better distortion...and I'm looking for the most pedal friendly of the two...To be honest, ever since i got my Peavey Classic to start working again, I've been dissapointed in my Egnater Tweaker...Good clean sounds, but idk...the distortion is just lacking, and distortion pedals don't work real well with it...way too much clipping,...So again any advice or opinions would be great thanks!

Thought of taking a look at: bob@reinhardtamps.com ----Reinhardt 18. If you have the bucks?

It will do it all. I hear better things about the old Fender Hot Rod Series. But, my own Fender amps are Twins and a Super from the early 60ies, so I'm blowing hearsay on the Hot Rod Series. Hope you get someone with direct knowledge to reply.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a tone monster when playing Gibsons through it and it is fully featured with effects loop, footswitch and Fender's reverb that to me it sounds incredible. The classic 30 has nothing onit and the Vox is not really comparable.

Problem is if you are trying to play the Hot Rod at bedroom levels is just too loud, I play one when I play out with friends since my friend owns one and at 3 on the volume the plaster is coming off the walls.

Ive heard incredible things about Reinhardt but 750$ is my max limit here. I've had the chance to test the Night Train once in Lincoln and really enjoyed the thick overdrive channel, but didnt have a chance to try the clean settings...and I was in Best Buy and not using one of my guitars, so I cant completely go off of that. Thanks for your opinion Cabba, have had both? Are both pedal friendly?

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a tone monster when playing Gibsons through it and it is fully featured with effects loop, footswitch and Fender's reverb that to me it sounds incredible. The classic 30 has nothing onit and the Vox is not really comparable.

Problem is if you are trying to play the Hot Rod at bedroom levels is just too loud, I play one when I play out with friends since my friend owns one and at 3 on the volume the plaster is coming off the walls.

So putting it on one or two, would still be too loud? I can crank my sh*t pretty hard sometimes. Neighbors are pretty cool about it. But if it HAS to be cranked to get its full potential, (like a Class 5?) that could be an issue for me.

PS also i should mention, i never take advantage of an fx loop, i just stick everything in front of the amp.

Thanks for your opinion Cabba, have had both? Are both pedal friendly?

I have not had the chance to play the Night Train myself, just heard it on demo videos. It's been on my to own list for a bit, as well as the Orange Tiny & Dual Terrors.

I have played thru my friend's Hot Rod Deville and the Hot Rod Deluxe at a store. Rockingly loud and ripping amps! Definitely a combo I would not be afraid to gig with.

My friend pushes his with a Metal Muff, DD6 and a compressor without issue.

So putting it on one or two, would still be too loud? I can crank my sh*t pretty hard sometimes. Neighbors are pretty cool about it. But if it HAS to be cranked to get its full potential, (like a Class 5?) that could be an issue for me.

PS also i should mention, i never take advantage of an fx loop, i just stick everything in front of the amp.

One or Two are fine, still loud as hell. Keep in mind this amp has a drive knob so you can get overdrive at low volumes, it actually has a switch for drive and more drive, not for purists but it does not bother me.

For me delay and modulation has to go through the loop, I can tell right away tell when they are in front of the amp.

I have played thru my friend's Hot Rod Deville and the Hot Rod Deluxe at a store. Rockingly loud and ripping amps! Definitely a combo I would not be afraid to gig with.

My friend pushes his with a Metal Muff, DD6 and a compressor without issue.

I would love to play a Hot Rod Deluxe at stage volumes.

They sell at good prices on Craiglst here in Nashville, since it is a very common amp you can always find them around here. I have not bought one simply because my friend has one and I play through it every time I can.

i have an older HRD. and it is loud, at least at first. the volume is not a linear taper though. In other words, as you get louder the actual increase in volume gets less between the numbers.....there is very little increase between 9 and 10 for example, but a big increase between 2 and 3.

i have used it at gig volumes. i think the drive channels are worthless and gross regardless of volume. the clean channel really crunches when you turn it up; i was surprised and impressed. and the HRD does quite well with distortion/OD pedals.

To those replying to the OP regarding the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe are you all referring to the older model with the silver face plate or the new Hot Rod III Deluxe with the black face plate? The newer Hot Rod III Deluxe sound very different from the older Hot Rod silver face plate. The new version has more midrange, and compressed compared to to older one. The OP is referring to the newer Hot Rod Deluxe III, black face plate. I prefer the sound of the older Hot Rod Deluxe, and the Devilles. The older models are in clearance price at many music stores. Get them while you can.

`

I'd always go head + cab rather than a combo,

but if you really prefer the Fender, get a THD

Hotplate and insert it into the combo between

the amp's output and its speaker.

If you're a toadall Gibby freak, the Hotplate is

also marketed as the 'Gibson Power Stealth'.

It's intended only for tube power stage amps.

A very cool feature of these THD [or Gibby]

attenuators is that they also provide you a

'Line-Out' jack thaz POST-everything [except

the speaker itself] .... so your whole power

stage is in your signal to the mixer. Plus,

the Line-Out has it's own level control.

This means you can run a slave power amp.

You can allow any degree of attenuation at

the combo speaker, and still set any signal

level for the slave unit. If the slave is a clean

power amp [aka transformerless] then it will

reproduce all the tone quality of the combo,

including the power tubes and tranny !

----------------------

For anyone already running a low-watt tube

head, the Hotplate, plus a clean power amp,

is the key to more volume while delivering

the tone of your hard-driven power tubes.

It's like you're providing your own personal

stage monitor and FOH sound, but for your

ax only. At well equipped venues, you bring

your bedroom amp and Hotplate, and run to

their mixer [but bring the slave along just

in case of Unpleasant Sooprises .... ].

My personal version is a Rebel 20 and a

Gibby Power Stealth into the FX return of

any transformerless head [i have a few].

`

To those replying to the OP regarding the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe are you all referring to the older model with the silver face plate or the new Hot Rod III Deluxe with the black face plate? The newer Hot Rod III Deluxe sound very different from the older Hot Rod silver face plate. The new version has more midrange, and compressed compared to to older one. The OP is referring to the newer Hot Rod Deluxe III, black face plate. I prefer the sound of the older Hot Rod Deluxe, and the Devilles. The older models are in clearance price at many music stores. Get them while you can.

Good point to know, I was unaware.

My experience with my friend's HR Deville and the HRD I played were the older ones.

Good point to know, I was unaware.

My experience with my friend's HR Deville and the HRD I played were the older ones.

This is the new Fender Hot Rod III Deluxe. Notice the black control panel face plate. The drive sound on these amps sound midrangy and compressed compared to the older silver panel face plate hot rod deluxes. Some may like the new tone, but I suggest playing them side by side with the older hot rods, the tone difference is night and day.

750865.jpg

750862.jpg

This is the older Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with the silver control panel face plate. To me these sound so much better.

265159.jpg

543283.jpg

Ive heard incredible things about Reinhardt but 750$ is my max limit here. I've had the chance to test the Night Train once in Lincoln and really enjoyed the thick overdrive channel, but didnt have a chance to try the clean settings...and I was in Best Buy and not using one of my guitars, so I cant completely go off of that. Thanks for your opinion Cabba, have had both? Are both pedal friendly?

The Hot Rod Fender then.

I like the older HRD, the drive button or whatever is crap. The Vox Train is great, I love em

What kind of drive were you expecting? From Fender clean to Triple Rectifier?

The drive channel on my friend's HR Deville doesn't sound bad. Especially once you push it with an overdrive or screamer.

For sure, It's not a metal amp, it's blues, rock type sound, but not bad sounding at all.

What kind of drive were you expecting? From Fender clean to Triple Rectifier?

The drive channel on my friend's HR Deville doesn't sound bad. Especially once you push it with an overdrive or screamer.

For sure, It's not a metal amp, it's blues, rock type sound, but not bad sounding at all.

No, I know what Fender distortion man. I just think it sounds like absolute garbage.

I wrote that post like dem00n... sorry.

What I meant to say was, I have played on them, I just use the volume. I like the breakup on Fender amps, but to my ears, the drive feature lacks.

Sorry

LOL - that's totally cool. I have no problem with someone sticking to their guns. The quote made me laugh.

The NT has an excellent bright channel that chimes like no other. If you are looking for overdrive, I think you will like the Hot Rod Deluxe better. IMHO. The HR Deluxe is going to be a lot louder when trying to overdrive the tubes. I know the Vox NT is a Class A/B amp don't know the rating on the Fender. What is the purpose of the amp. Gigging, practice, both? I used to have a Vox NT but swapped out for Orange TT because the NT didn't overdrive the way I wanted. I couldn't turn the volume or the gain past 12 O clock without getting excessive annoying noise. I tried 2 different heads before going with the Orange TT.

Archived