Gibson Brands Forums

Is AC/DC finished?

NeoConMan

Odd thing is.......people say they "always sound the same", but when a really different sounding album is released, A.K.A. Fly on the Wall, Ballbreaker, & Thunderstruck........theres such a howl from the fans that they end up stepping back into their "old shoes" again for the next few releases.

People start tiring of the "same old sound/groove" until they try something new....then they end up going back to "meat and potatoes" as Neo so aptly called it.

Give Ballbreaker a close listen sometime......it's an exellent album.

I cringe every time I hear one of my favorite bands on some crummy commercial. Just last week I heard Judas Priest on a freakin' Honda mini van commercial. I guess I understand why they do it, I mean, they're probably getting a lot of $$. I can't fault them for that I guess. It's still weird.

I love AC/DC so much though. I never really think of them in a selling out type of way, even when they do that kind of stuff. -They haven't really wavered from their formula for great rock and roll. To me, selling out is changing how you sound to sell more records. If some company wants to use a kick a$$ song to try to sell more widgets, it's annoying, but I can't find fault with the band for cashing in.

• 4 weeks later...

Because when AC DC grabs all they can it's Hundreds of Millions of Dollars. When Banks and Insurance Companies do it, its Hundreds of Billions of dollars, and that starts to choke off the supply of Capital to the people of a Capitalist society.

Exactly, but ultimately it's apples and oranges. Regardless, when AC/DC makes millions it is touring the world playing rock and roll. When some like the banking industry does it, it is by falsifying loan documents, selling junk products like credit default swaps, and shifty trading strategies like dark pools. And when they use these practices it brings the economy to its knees. The only time AC/DC has brought anyone to their knees was by pure exhaustion of awesome four-on-the-floor rock.

Because when AC DC grabs all they can it's Hundreds of Millions of Dollars. When Banks and Insurance Companies do it, its Hundreds of Billions of dollars, and that starts to choke off the supply of Capital to the people of a Capitalist society.

I didn't say anything about banks or insurance companies. Thats a different discussion all together. I said corporations (which maybe a handful make billions) and that includes AC/DC. They sell a product at a price people are willing to pay. If quality slips people stop buying.

As "artist" they get a pass for making as much as they can for a long as they can. That's fine I'm a capitalist. I'm just saying the entertainment world is looked at differently than other business entities.

Exactly, but ultimately it's apples and oranges. Regardless, when AC/DC makes millions it is touring the world playing rock and roll. When some like the banking industry does it, it is by falsifying loan documents, selling junk products like credit default swaps, and shifty trading strategies like dark pools. And when they use these practices it brings the economy to its knees. The only time AC/DC has brought anyone to their knees was by pure exhaustion of awesome four-on-the-floor rock.

Nice try but I'm not swallowing.

Archived