Gibson Brands Forums

Is AC/DC finished?

NeoConMan

On TV tonight, Mrs. Neo was watching reruns of Frasier.

Then I heard the opening lick for AC/DC's For Those About To Rock coming from the tube.

I look at the screen, and it shows a woman dramatically... cooking... pancakes.

WTF?!?

It's a commercial for Target department stores.

When you've sold rights to as many songs as they have in the last couple of years, and now even Target uses your stuff?

Well, I'm a capitalist so I don't begrudge them a fat paycheck.

But I've seen kids born after 1995 wearing AC/DC shirts they bought at Wal-Mart for years now.

To call Angus and Malcomb sellouts wouldn't be far from the mark.

I'm headed to the music room to put on some Powerage...

[crying]

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far...

But yeah, Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall were not so hot.

By the time they were doing movie soundtracks and then crap like Blow Up Your Video, I was done.

The Razor's Edge was a little better, but Money Talks is by far the worst fxcking song they ever did.

Black Ice was okay, but it reminds me of an hour long mix of the same song.

I swear to God, the drums never change.

Still, if you can ever catch their live show it's a treat!

Black Ice was okay, but it reminds me of an hour long mix of the same song.

I swear to God, the drums never change.

Still, if you can ever catch their live show it's a treat!

Angus has obviously had to slow his BPM ratio on Black Ice, but it's a really pleasant listen for me because his overall tone is outstanding (!!) and he still uses his old "tried and true" phrasing on most of the solos.

There are a lot of bands i'd RATHER see toss in the towel, but(KISS)I(MAIDEN)won't(AEROSMITH)name(QUEEN)names(OZZY/SABBATH).

According to Billboard magazine:

"AC/DC's "Black Ice" world tour which lasted from October 2008 through June 2010 will end up as the second highest grossing tour of all time. The total figures at this time tally up at $441.6 million from 168 shows. AC/DC performed to approximately 4.9 million fans during their "Black Ice" tour, and only falls short of first place to The Rolling Stones "Bigger Bang" tour (2005-2007) which had grossed $558.3 million through 147 shows."

If ACDC has to make a little today money off of yesterday's music to help pay for a tour where they played 168 times and made $441,600,000, then so be it.

That's just good business.

Show business.

IMO

According to Billboard magazine:

"AC/DC's "Black Ice" world tour which lasted from October 2008 through June 2010 will end up as the second highest grossing tour of all time. The total figures at this time tally up at $441.6 million from 168 shows. AC/DC performed to approximately 4.9 million fans during their "Black Ice" tour, and only falls short of first place to The Rolling Stones "Bigger Bang" tour (2005-2007) which had grossed $558.3 million through 147 shows."

If ACDC has to make a little today money off of yesterday's music to help pay for a tour where they played 168 times and made $441,600,000, then so be it.

That's just good business.

Show business.

IMO

It seems a little strange to me that its ok for rock bands and movie stars to make huge monies but any other corporation gets ripped to shreds for grabbing all they can. I guess show business is different than business business.

msp_glare.gif

i dont think i'd go so far as to call them sellouts. i admit that i did find it a bit humorous when i saw the Target commercial, but in terms of their music I dont think you can find one band who has stayed truer to their music......though Black Ice did have a song with slide playing on it. [laugh]

... "AC/DC's "Black Ice" world tour which lasted from October 2008 through June 2010 will end up as the second highest grossing tour of all time. The total figures at this time tally up at $441.6 million from 168 shows. ...

They might be done creatively, but you can't stick a fork in 'em until they've flopped on tour.

As far as I'm concerned Target asked AC/DC for the song and paid them, not the other way around. If I had corporate chains begging me to use my materials I'd thank them for paying to advertise for me. I guess in my eyes AC/DC has earned their own place of respect and they can really do no wrong at this point. On the other hand, if I think back to our thread that was specifically on sell outs I said that a band that does it for money and doesn't need said money is selling out.

But then again I never said AC/DC didn't sell out :) I still love their music haha.

I was surprised that they finally released a sort of greatest hits throught the Iron Man movie sountrack, to me it just means they are done.

I like Black Ice and Angus is not so bad on the slide, thta was a surprise to all.

Even in their "worse" records I can still find songs I like, but throwing the towel after Bon Scott, I don't think so, Back to Black is one of the best rock albums of all times. I do wonder if Bon Scott wrote any of the songs in it, he is not credited but they crancked out that album in a few months only :-k

I was surprised that they finally released a sort of greatest hits throught the Iron Man movie sountrack

They did that in the eighties too!

What was the movie called - Maximum Overdrive?

Yeah, they are still the kings at what they do.

Just saying, this is where the term "sellout" is hard to resist - good or bad.

They have an old catalog to trade on until they die, and they've released very little new music in 10 years.

People throwing HUGE dollar signs at them, I don't blame them for grabbing them either.

But that kind of money will not be there every year.

This is a one shot deal.

The Rolling Stones did the same thing starting 20 years ago.

Make huge money, do a tour, then disappear for a few years until the market demands a return.

If the market demand isn't there, just quietly sit back and count your money.

Not saying it's wrong.

More than anything I guess I'm a little surprised that they got SO big.

Same with ZZ Top in the mid eighties, at least AC/DC has kept the music on track better.

As soon as Angus is using synthesizers...

[scared]

It seems a little strange to me that its ok for rock bands and movie stars to make huge monies but any other corporation gets ripped to shreds for grabbing all they can. I guess show business is different than business business.

msp_glare.gif

Capitalism is capitalism, but I think the public's perception of what a rock star and celebrity is, allows them to live extravagant an excessive lives if they so choose, without the public scrutiny.

It's almost in the rockstar/moviestar job description.

They get cut some slack for being unique and having given the public their art.

Big corporations don't get that pass for offering something not so "Special"

msp_glare.gif

Because when AC DC grabs all they can it's Hundreds of Millions of Dollars. When Banks and Insurance Companies do it, its Hundreds of Billions of dollars, and that starts to choke off the supply of Capital to the people of a Capitalist society.

They were the second highest grossing touring band this year, according to the DJ on Sirius radio a few weeks ago. I think U2 was the first.

I read an interview a while back where Brian Johnson said that Malcolm works the heck out of him.

I love their music, especially their guitar sounds (everyone always ignores Malcolm), but I'm not such a fan that I'll take days off and pay money to go see 'em.

I have a lot of respect for them, though. Wish I could make my living that way.

I don't have a problem with it. I saw that commercial and I thought it was pretty funny.

I really don't like ACDC. I'll probably get flamed for saying this but IMO pretty much all of there songs sound exactly the same. And I don't like the way that sounds.

I have to admit they have some great and absolutely classic songs though. The opening riff from "For Those About to Rock" is really badass. I like that riff but that's about as far as I'll go.

It's Meat and Potatoes Rock n Roll.

And I'm the original Atkins guy.

[thumbup]

Anybody thinking it ALL sounds the same needs to go back to the Bon Scott albums.

A little more variation then.

After Bon died, the sound sorta froze with the highest selling album - Back In Black.

They might be done creatively, but you can't stick a fork in 'em until they've flopped on tour.

+1

Exactly.

The fans decide when your done.

They may or may not be done creatively in peoples eyes,(and ears) but they've always given the fans exactly what they want, in the style and the way they wanted to do it. Not an easy thing to do.

But the fans stand by them because of that.

Even if they never released an other album, I'd bet they could still tour whenever they liked and still make a buck.

Almost like two separate bands in my mind.

And I like both of `em.

It's a generalization but, when you lose a guitar player, more often than not, only your sound changes.

But when you lose your singer/main songwriter, that can change not only the voice of the band, but the whole dynamic of a band, what they're about creatively and how they come across.

They were great with Bon, then they got lucky with Brian cause he fit in so well.

Kind of like Van Halen was with Roth, and then with Sammy Hagar.

But not Gary Cherone.

Even a band like Van Halen can't pull it off if all the parts aren't there.

Maybe that's why Van Halen "III" with Cherone was their last full original studio album... Twelve years ago in 1998.

And since they've, have gone back to Hagar, and now Roth again.

ACDC have succeeded with two different singers.

Not an easy thing to do.

Well, if they are "Done".

37 years ain't a bad run for a rock band.

WAY more than most.

Archived