Gibson Brands Forums

Need a set up

Silenced Fred

Anyone know a good place? I have been putting it off, and I really need a set up, crazy fret buzz after changing strings.

Also, how much should I pay? Most places I see are charging about 40-60 bucks for the whole thing, restring, clean, intonate, all that jazz.

Before everyone says, "learn to do it yourself" I want to at least get a correct set up and learn from there.

Thanks guys

The two cats I swear by are Geoff Benge and Ian Schneller at Specimen. Both are luthiers so they know how to set up a guitar. The past three years I been exclusively going to Geoff Benge mostly because he is a lot closer and his turn around time is good. He mounted the Bigsbys on both of my guitars. Ian does killer work and I would still go to him, but he is up in Humboldt Park and because he is so busy his turn around time is too much for me.

btw once you get your guitars set up it is a good idea to learn basic setting up and adjustment.

The two cats I swear by are Geoff Benge and Ian Schneller at Specimen. Both are luthiers so they know how to set up a guitar. The past three years I been exclusively going to Geoff Benge mostly because he is a lot closer and his turn around time is good. He mounted the Bigsbys on both of my guitars. Ian does killer work and I would still go to him, but he is up in Humboldt Park and because he is so busy his turn around time is too much for me.

btw once you get your guitars set up it is a good idea to learn basic setting up and adjustment.

How much are set ups from him? I saw his site earlier and he has some big names up on his client list, I didn't see yours though... [biggrin]

This won't really help but...

The other day I was playing my SG and decided to just randomly raise the action just a little bit on the treble side. I wasnthaving problems with choking or anything. As soon as I raised it up I noticed a very obvious increase in sustain and volume on the first 3 strings. It would sustain for a long time when it was plugged in but sounded kindof weak unplugged. Now it just sustains even unplugged.

It wasn't bad before but now it's excellent. The action is still very comfortable and low too.

How much are set ups from him? I saw his site earlier and he has some big names up on his client list, I didn't see yours though... [biggrin]

Nice one. People usually try *not* to drop my name for fear of reputational damage.

I think both are around $60. Call first and they'll give you a rough quote.

Nice one. People usually try *not* to drop my name for fear of reputational damage.

I think both are around $60. Call first and they'll give you a rough quote.

Ah good stuff. I looked at Chicago Guitar and Amplifier, they charge 40, never had any experience with them before, but I was hoping to head to Chicago Music Exchange maybe this weekend and thought I might check em out, but they seem pretty far back on repairs and stuff

And yeah, I try to keep myself hidden, I don't want too many people to know I'm actually Gary Moore

Ah good stuff. I looked at Chicago Guitar and Amplifier, they charge 40, never had any experience with them before, but I was hoping to head to Chicago Music Exchange maybe this weekend and thought I might check em out, but they seem pretty far back on repairs and stuff

Chicago Guitar and Amp would be worth checking out. I've talked to the guitar tech there and he is a cool guy. I always go there for pedal work since they are the only shop in town that will touch 'em and they are a ten minute walk from my front door. Matt, the amp/pedal tech, is very cool too. Had him clean up my Mosrite Fuzzrite, Fuzzface, and Sole-Mate pedals. Spent a lot of time nerding out, talking about fx pedals while I was there.

Here's a thought...

If you are already planning on paying $40-$60 for a set up, why not just mess around with some things, try making some adjustments yourself and see what you come up with? Then, if it's not what you like pay a pro to set it up. You've lost nothing but perhaps some playing time. In the process you will have learned something about how your guitar works.

If you want a correct set up, do it yourself. Just buy a book & some feeler gauges and call it a day. Techs don't always set up a guitar the way you'll like it.

[thumbup]

It's not rocket science. Also, everything you need to know is online, for free.

Archived