Gibson Brands Forums

Hung my guitars from the wall

dponzi

Yesterday I finished my project. I hung my guitars from the wall. What do you think? I got up 3 times during the night to check and make sure nothing was pulling away from the wall. Has anyone had any issues hanging their guitars?

100_2820.jpg?t=1286806575

Looks good.

You've got some beauties there. B)

The thing that worries me about angled hanging (as opposed to against the wall hanging) is if somebody bumps into one, it can swing freely and hit another.

Hope your not in a quake area.

Looks good.

You've got some beauties there. B)

The thing that worries me about angled hanging (as opposed to against the wall hanging) is if somebody bumps into one, it can swing freely and hit another.

Hope your not in a quake area.

Thanks for the complement. LOL, no, not a quake area (near Chicago). What concerns me is lack of humidity in the winter. I'm thinking they are all going back in cases December 1st, and I'll take them out come April. I know what you mean about hanging on an angle. I've already bumped them. That was the only way to fit them all on the same wall.

Looks cool. Are those hangers nitro safe? You may see a discolouration form down the road where the hangers touch the guitar (on some of the guitars). My SG is like that - must have sat in a different store for some time because there are two spots, on each side of the headstock, that are slightly browner than the rest of the guitar.

Looks cool. Are those hangers nitro safe? You may see a discolouration form down the road where the hangers touch the guitar (on some of the guitars). My SG is like that.

I don't know. They are Hercules hangers and they came highly recommended. Man, I'm really having second thoughts about this now LOL

Looks cool. Are those hangers nitro safe? You may see a discolouration form down the road where the hangers touch the guitar (on some of the guitars). ...

+1

R9 makes a great point. A cotton rag (white so it won't bleed into nitro) would be safer.

*edit* opps, stepped on your reponse to R9.

+1

R9 makes a great point. A cotton rag (white so it won't bleed into nitro) would be safer.

*edit* opps, stepped on your reponse to R9.

Thanks. I'm reading about what others have done. Similar to what you guys said. Buy some cheap cotton gloves and cut the fingers off and slip them over the pegs. I think I have some old gloves and I will try that.

Yesterday I finished my project. I hung my guitars from the wall. What do you thing? I got up 3 times during the night to check and make sure nothing was pulling away from the wall. Has anyone had any issues hanging their guitars?

100_2820.jpg?t=1286806575

That's the nicest tree I've ever seen! [drool]

How do you like the Epiphone mandolin? How does it sound without amplification? I'd love to have a Gibson F-Style, but I can't justify it since I don't play it that well, was had thought of an Eppi.

Nice rack! (First time I ever said that to a guy!)

Thanks for all the compliments.

LPGuitarman, I bought the deluxe new in 1973. That was my first good guitar. I had a beat-to-death SG before that. The deluxe is still my favorite guitar.

DanvilleRob, I like the Epi mandolin just fine. It sounds great without amplification. I'm not very good at mandolin. I just poke and hope.

Nice rack!

I bought hangers for the wall and the instructions say that if you can't find a stud it's OK to hang on drywall alone, just use this special plastic screw holder (apologies for not knowing the correct term. The firebird in my avatar weighs about 11 pounds!

In your research on this did you consider hanging them directly on the wall or did you just always assume you would build a wooden brace?

Very nice indeed, I have eight guitars on wall hangers and have never had any issues over ten years.All my hangers are String Swing and they have no problems with the nitro myth. I realy wouldn,t have second thaughts about hanging your guitars as it does them no harm at all.I find it the best way to enjoy my guitars, why spend all that money and just lock them away in cases plus its a great talking point and looks wonderful.Congats [thumbup]

I really like the 73 goldtop. It's like my 76 one, but yours is probably in better condition. Has it ever be refretted or are the original frets still good?

Personally I wouldn't hang my guitars from the wall. I like to leave them in their cases when not in use so that they are protected from accidents and the environment etc. If nothing else they do get dusty and spiders like to live inside the acoustics. But it's a personal thing and lots of people on here hang their guitars. So if you like it then that's fine!

Nice rack!

I bought hangers for the wall and the instructions say that if you can't find a stud it's OK to hang on drywall alone, just use this special plastic screw holder (apologies for not knowing the correct term). In your research on this did you consider hanging them directly on the wall or did you just always assume you would build a wooden brace?

Tman, I wouldn't even consider hanging my guitars from the plastic wall hangers they provided. Thats just me. Thats why I mounted them to double oak, glued and screwed, with 1 1/2 screws mounting the hangers to the boards. Then I used 12 3 inch screws mounting the oak to the studs. I'm still nervous about that, but that could probably hold 500 pounds.

Very nice indeed, I have eight guitars on wall hangers and have never had any issues over ten years.All my hangers are String Swing and they have no problems with the nitro myth. I realy wouldn,t have second thaughts about hanging your guitars as it does them no harm at all.I find it the best way to enjoy my guitars, why spend all that money and just lock them away in cases plus its a great talking point and looks wonderful.Congats [thumbup]

Thanks LT ED, thats good to know

I really like the 73 goldtop. It's like my 76 one, but yours is probably in better condition. Has it ever be refretted or are the original frets still good?

Personally I wouldn't hang my guitars from the wall. I like to leave them in their cases when not in use so that they are protected from accidents and the environment etc. If nothing else they do get dusty and spiders like to live inside the acoustics. But it's a personal thing and lots of people on here hang their guitars. So if you like it then that's fine!

Its all original except the tuners, jack plate, switch tip and tail piece. I put Grovers on it, like 1978, and gave away the originals (like an idiot). I just recently put Kluson Deluxe tuners back on. Replicas, not vintage. The chrome peeled off of the original tail piece years ago. I still have the old one, but put a new one on just for looks. The original jack plate and switch tip broke many years ago.

Its all original except the tuners, jack plate, switch tip and tail piece. I put Grovers on it, like 1978, and gave away the originals (like an idiot). I just recently put Kluson Deluxe tuners back on. Replicas, not vintage. The chrome peeled off of the original tail piece years ago. I still have the old one, but put a new one on just for looks. The original jack plate and switch tip broke many years ago.

The jack plate on mine has a crack through it, but is still original. It does still have the original tuners too. I've been looking for a replacement (original vintage) TRC. Mine is still original, but it has a small crack through one of the screw holes.

The jack plate on mine has a crack through it, but is still original. It does still have the original tuners too. I've been looking for a replacement (original vintage) TRC. Mine is still original, but it has a small crack through one of the screw holes.

KL, you need to post a pic of your deluxe. I was playing mine a little while ago. I love the sound of the mini's. So many of those old deluxe's got routed for regular humbuckers, there's probably not a lot of the old ones left.

Archived