Gibson Brands Forums

stupid deal 10/20/2010

Gibson Artist

The Limited-Edition Epiphone Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar With Bigsby Vibrato has a maple top with a solid mahogany body. The guitar's set SlimTaper mahogany neck is equipped with a 22-fret rosewood fretboard.

The Plain-op Les Paul guitar is loaded with an Alnico Classic humbucking pickup in the neck position and a high-output Alnico Classic Plus humbucker in the bridge position.

Take charge of this Epiphone Les Paul guitar with individual pickup volume and tone controls, and a 3-way pickup selector toggle.

The limited-edition Les Paul Standard guitar has gold hardware including Grover tuning machines, a LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge for great sustain, and a cool Bigsby vibrato tailpiece.

Retail $549 stupid deal $399

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar-With-Bigsby-Vibrato?sku=581891

Sweet!

Not sure why you think it's a "starter" guitar. I would consider a Special a starter guitar. No, it's not a Gibby, but I'm done paying 2 grand and more for guitars. If it was another color I would be tempted because I like having a Bigsby on an LP, but I already have one. 4 bills for an Epi LP with a set neck ain't a bad price, especially with a Bigsby. They are definitely nice guitars to mod.

JC,Jim and Pete,

This post was originally put in the Gibson Lounge. It was moved to here.

Does that explain anything?

For some people, if the road is not paved with gold it is just a backwoods trail.

Willy

I guess that makes thing a little clearer ... also as to WHY we have two posts on the same subject!

I dunno ... I own both and I can tell you that having those two extra little points on the headstock didn't make any difference in how well (or poorly) I play them. I guess to some folks it does. [confused]

Jim

Hey Jim, haven't written to you in a while. Hope all is well.

A little off subject but it pertains to some of the posts. I recently was restringing my Prophecy SG GX guitar and was changing ga. of strings so I decided to pull the pups and here is what I found.

1) The guitar neck tenon was so tightly fit that you could not find the joint gaps.

2) Inside the pup cavities the body looked like a solid piece of wood. No plywood or laminating or anything to indicate anything than quality craftmanship

3) Decided to measure the resistance on the pots. Found out they both measued at 500k

In conclusion, I am afraid to do the same thing to my Gibson's because handcrafted does not always equate to quality and cosistency. I paid $1350 for my SG-3 and $1050 for my LE flying V. Both were brand new. I paid $650 for my Prophecy new. I know that I would have to mod my Gibsons to have 500k pots.

I liked the old system better keeping Epi and Gibby posts farther apart. That said I am pointing out a fact that all Epi owners already knew. There are quality guitars being made in China by American manufacturers. You don't have to spend $1500-$2000 to get a decent guitar. I am not saying one is better than the other but you already know how well the Prophecy line plays you own 2 of them an LP and a SG.

Later Jim and Keep on Rockin Vegas!

Rewd. [thumbup]

Archived