Gibson Brands Forums

Well my B-days comin up

LynyrdSkynyrd-14

If you can get $700 together, get the Hot Rod DeVille in 4x10. All the amp you'll ever need.

I have the 2x12, wish I had spent the extra $30.

I also have a Blues Junior, little brother to it. Kinda pricey, but a cool little amp for less than $400.

In between are several choices, as TG said.

and i want i fender tube amp ' date='any suggestions?eusa_think.gif [/quote']

Buy a Fender Princeton. A real one. You can still find early to mid 70s Princetons without reverb for around $500. It's a real, point to point all tube Fender, unlike the stuff they are selling now. If you (or the 'rents) can spend a few hundred more step up to a silver face Princeton Reverb.

Buy a Fender Princeton. A real one. You can still find early to mid 70s Princetons without reverb for around $500. It's a real' date=' point to point all tube Fender, unlike the stuff they are selling now. If you (or the 'rents) can spend a few hundred more step up to a silver face Princeton Reverb. [/quote']

+1

Hookers and blow are the party.

Jack is simply the refreshment of choice while partaking of the others...

Agreed.

Lynyrd' date=' this is what you want for your birthday:

[img']http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/coldgin00/2006aug10b.jpg[/img]

And this would be the ideal after party.. just replace the stupid *** guys with you, and its a hell of a scenario.

jack+daniels.jpg

+1

My first amp ever was a 70s silverface Princeton Reverb. Great amp.

These days, I'm rolling with a 70s Deluxe Reverb. Also a good amp.

Guitar stores around here are full of these amps, shouldn't be hard to find. The reverb on them makes modern amp reverb look non-existant.

Lynyrd,

I have a Fender Blues Junior NOS - the "limited edition" (yeah ok) tweed version. I would recommend this amp w/out any reservations. For the price, I think it's hard to beat. If you are a metal player you might not like it, but for the blues, or classic rock it's a great amp for practicing at home or even small club/bar gigs.

I don't have any experience w/the stock version - I think it's kind of ugly so I never bothered. The tweed is smooth though.

I'm not crazy about it being made in Mexico, but that beats the hell out of anything made in China such as a VOX (yuck).

Agreed.

Lynyrd' date=' this is what you want for your birthday:

[img']http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/coldgin00/2006aug10b.jpg[/img]

And this would be the ideal after party.. just replace the stupid *** guys with you, and its a hell of a scenario.

jack+daniels.jpg

Those glasses make me want to slam a beer bottle on my forehead.

If you wanna have a good time try snorting coke of the hooker's asses.

Lynyrd' date='

I have a Fender Blues Junior NOS - the "limited edition" (yeah ok) tweed version. I would recommend this amp w/out any reservations. For the price, I think it's hard to beat. If you are a metal player you might not like it, but for the blues, or classic rock it's a great amp for practicing at home or even small club/bar gigs.

I don't have any experience w/the stock version - I think it's kind of ugly so I never bothered. The tweed is smooth though.

I'm not crazy about it being made in Mexico, but that beats the hell out of anything made in China such as a VOX (yuck).

[/quote']

The only differences between the NOS and the regular version is the finish and the speaker. Other than that, they're the same.

I have a regular one where I swapped in a Weber speaker and it's a good amp for the money. I agree with your assessment about it being good for blues and classic rock styles of overdrive and definitely not so hot for high gain sounds. It *can* get quite a bit of gain cranking, but there are better amps for that style of tone. My complaint is that the amp feels kind of stiff unless you start to crank it up; that is, even with a master volume it doesn't have the nice sag to it that my old Fender Champ has but that amp has a tube rectifier and I can crank it up a bit without it being terribly loud.

The only differences between the NOS and the regular version is the finish and the speaker. Other than that' date=' they're the same.

I have a regular one where I swapped in a Weber speaker and it's a good amp for the money. I agree with your assessment about it being good for blues and classic rock styles of overdrive and definitely not so hot for high gain sounds. It *can* get quite a bit of gain cranking, but there are better amps for that style of tone. My complaint is that the amp feels kind of stiff unless you start to crank it up; that is, even with a master volume it doesn't have the nice sag to it that my old Fender Champ has but that amp has a tube rectifier and I can crank it up a bit without it being terribly loud.[/quote']

Rich,

I've heard good things about swapping out the stock speaker for a Weber - did it improve the sound a lot for you? the NOS version I have has the Jensen speaker which I think sounds fine for the amp, but I've heard a lot of BJ owners use a Weber in there.

the only complaint that I have regarding the BJ is the volume control - it goes from whisper quiet to pretty damn loud in an instant (there is no middle ground). I've heard that the Bill M mods can fix the issue but I hate throwing additional coin at what is basically a little practice amp to begin with - kind of takes the bargain out of having purchased it to begin with.

Archived