Gibson Brands Forums

Wanna Get a Vintage Modern!(les paul)

ckledzepplin

i had a VM. it wasnt a bad amp...nailed the Beano tone EXACTLY. its like a BB combo with an extra preamp valve for more gain. the amp is very subtle; it is not plug and play. you really have to tweak her; she is a single channel amp and if you don't know how to use the tone/volume pots on your guitar, well good luck. this amp will show you and everyone else how good or bad you are. it is very nice, but i think i am a EL34 guy- which takes you into JVM territory. I like the concept of the JVM, but i love the simplicity of the VM. hope this helps.

ckledzepplin,

I have one. Next to my LP's, it's my favorite piece of gear that I have ever owned. Ever.

All the replies you've received here are right on the money. It is in fact a PCB version of the Hendrix stack w/the added feature of a "high dynamic" range which adds an additional preamp valve for additional gain. For the sake of comparison, the gain on the high dynamic range is very much like a JCM800 - perhaps a tad bit more gain.

I'm not sure what questions you have, so I'll refrain from going into a long review on it - but feel free to ask any questions you want answers to. Happy to help any way I can.

I think the Gibson Vintage Modern Les Pauls with point to point hand wiring and the full compliment of tubes are a great investment. I'll wager that even if you play it for hours everyday, it will likely be worth over 6 figures in 10 years or so. I like the Bubbleburst finish the best....

<Surely that will keep the thread relevant...>

Vintage Modern is an excellent amp. Sounds great, right up my alley anyway. I heard a JVM live on Friday night and it sounded pretty good as well. The JVM apparently is said to be the highest gain stock Marshall ever. And you can get them with 3 or 4 channels with 3-4 different modes????!!!! Knob city and way too many options for me, not to mention a potential horror show repair-wise down the road. I love the simplicity of a good one channel amp, much more straight forward, makes you get to know yourself and your guitar better. And hell, the VM is way less dough than the JVM's to boot!! The Vintage Modern, 2061X Lead & Bass 20, and the JCM 800's are my personal favorite Marshalls. Oh, Plexi's are just ok.(LOL!!!)

Hi Kenny,

not great. it's an amp that really needs to be cranked if plugging straight in. if I'm using it at home in my apartment at low volumes, I set it to a clean sound and then use pedals (like my carl martin plexitone or my tonebone hot british) for a dirty sound. otherwise I find it to be a little too buzzy for my taste. this is particularly the case in the high dynamic range.

I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker though.

Hi Kenny' date='

not great. it's an amp that really needs to be cranked if plugging straight in. if I'm using it at home in my apartment at low volumes, I set it to a clean sound and then use pedals (like my carl martin plexitone or my tonebone hot british) for a dirty sound. otherwise I find it to be a little too buzzy for my taste. this is particularly the case in the high dynamic range.

I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker though. [/quote']

Thanks, That's what I thought.

ckledzepplin,

hate to put you on the spot, but is there anything in particular you'd like to know? there are many ways I could write up a review for you, but I don't want to miss something that's important to you. probably be a little bit easier and more effective (for you) if you could give me a list of questions to answer - want to make sure we can cover all the bases for you.

also, if you have time, maybe check the vintage modern forum as well. just about any and all questions I had about the amp prior to purchasing it were easily answered on that site. like the Gibson forum, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people over there with some great insight.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your questions - thanks!

I have the 50 watt and 100 watt heads and the full stack with G12C speakers.

They are the best amps I've ever had.

(I've been playing since the mid-to-late 70's and have owned a lot of classic amps.)

Some good points have already been mentioned above, and I too would be quite happy to answer any questions you may have.

A few things about the amp:

1. The Vintage Modern will not cover up sloppy playing. What goes in comes out. If you have the sound in your hands this amp will bring it out.

If on the other hand if you haven't, this amp will let you know that too, in no uncertain terms.

2. They can sound good at low volumes but they're meant to be used on stage, like most 50/100 watt amps. This is where they shine.

3. It is essentially a 60's Plexi with some modern extras and was designed as such. Point to point wiring would make no difference to the sound at all but it would raise the price considerably.

4. If you use your guitar's volume control to go from clean to crunch to solo, like our heroes did from the old days, this amp can do it and you'll love it.

5. Some people feel the need to boost the volume for solos by using their favourite booster in the FX loop. As the pre-amp is already putting a huge signal level into the power-amp anyway, this mostly does not work. The trick is to do the opposite, i.e. cut the volume slightly for rhythm (in the fx loop) and let it go straight through for solos.

6. There are two dynamic ranges. The low range is old 60's style Plexi (vintage) where the poweramp has to be maxed out to get distortion. The high range brings in another pre-amp valve (modern) and is like the hot rodded amps of the early 70's upwards.

7. There is also a mid boost button, (originally for single coil users, but some humbucker users really like using it too).

I could go on but it depends on your style and type of sound that you're after.

Some pro users include: Slash, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Aldrich and Uli Roth.

They may not necessarily be your favourite guitarists, but they certainly know a good amp when they try one!

I probably have no business posting in a thread full of advocates for these amps, but I'll throw in my own $.02 anyhow.

These new amps are cool, and dependable, but way beyond anything I care to own or play.

As a hobbyist, I simply don't need these new monsters.

And you can get them with 3 or 4 channels with 3-4 different modes????!!!! Knob city and way too many options for me

That's EXACTLY my position. I don't need all that stuff' date=' and I don't believe most players do either.

Everybody I know that does live gigs actually makes few adjustments to their rig once set up.

Channel switching is nice, beyond that I do everything else with different guitars.

not to mention a potential horror show repair-wise down the road.

Nobody seems to think about what the amp will need for maintenance years down the road. Keep it simple!

A guy I work with has a daughter who drives an old Pontiac Grand Am. The car is worn out and he needs to sell it.

It has a sunroof (the single most worthless option on a car) that has given them trouble for several years.

It quits working in the open position because she won't leave the damned thing closed, so she can't lock her car.

He tried to repair it several times, with limited success, and the junk parts are insanely expensive.

Finally thought they had the car sold and it stuck open again.

Fxck it!

He put it in the shop at the dealership and paid $900 to get it repaired once and for all.

The car is worth maybe $2000 at the most.

Now, how much of that switchery and gizmo/gadget crap do you NEED?

I love the simplicity of a good one channel amp' date=' much more straight forward, makes you get to know yourself and your guitar better. [/quote']

Wise words.

I own a JCM 800 made in 1981. First year, vertical input jacks, bought more for collectible reasons than anything else.

That amp with Master Volume (2203) actually came out in the seventies, but was christened the JCM 800 when Marshall ended their US distribution deal with Rose Morris. To delineate the new amps from the old, Marshall made cosmetic changes but left mechanicals intact.

To do a list of my favorite Marshalls would be tough as I'm no expert on the vintage ones.

Hot on my gotta have it list is a JCM 800 2205 - the 50 watt/2 channel version.

There's a small variety of Plexi's I would love to own, lower power stuff 50 watts or less so I can really drive 'em hard.

Brain dead simple, and a tube amp can be hard enough to troubleshoot with the most basic of features involved.

Before I spend mega bucks on reissues, I'll simply seek out good clean originals as I can afford them.

Doing maintenance on them will be merely an extension of the hobby, and a pleasure to see them purr when I'm done.

God, you old people and your simplicity.

Sometimes complicated is good, what if when computers came out people had that mentality, we wouldn't be talking right now.

I think an amp need at least 2 channels (except the JCM800 that thing kicks ***) and every extra channel is excellent.

I will admit that I never really use the 3 modes on the channels, I keep the clean on green and the rest on red.

But 4 channels are awesome.

Barack Obama would be very disapointed in you!

lol

i already have a 2210 which is amaizing but a little thin sounding and when i turn the mv up it makes a thump sound, so i was gonna run the amps in stereo, or let my other guitar player in my band use my 2210 , and ill use the vm and get cleans with the guitar vol. and oilpit i'm 15 and love simplicity jvms are just way tooooooooo much, all i need is rythm, clean and lead tones, rythem=standard tone,clean=2nd channel or vol roll off, lead=standard+double muff fuzz w/ a little boost

Archived