Gibson Brands Forums

What the hell happened to Gibson?

shaved_ape

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good god it just keeps getting worse.

if this keeps up I may have to call in sick, or possibly dead.dry.gif

From Apocolypse Now; " The horror, the horror. " I'll bet your thinking right now " Don't thread on me. " If I have a +1 left, I'll give it too you...though it won't make you feel any better...

[crying] :unsure: [scared][blink] :blink: eusa_pray.gif[omg]](*,)

Damian,

I shop at a store (small local chain) that the typical marked Gibson prices run $400-$1000+ below GC et. al.

For instance:

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus: $1899 (vs. $2,299.00)

Gibson Custom ES-335 Satin Finish Electric Guitar $1749 (vs $2,249.00)

Gibson CS-137cu $2049 (vs $2799)

Gibson CS-137Classic $1499 (vs $2049)

Gibson ES-335f $2250 (vs $3149)

CS-336f $2625 (vs $3399)

Fender Am Stndrd SSB Strat (Ash) $999 (vs $1149)

Fender Am Stndrd Tele $879 (vs $1000)

Gibsons have a big mark up, so they also have more room to deal; you can get better deals on them (i.e. bigger savings vs say Fender).

My bud here at work has a PRS Custom 24 Artist Package something or other - LOVES it! And it is a REAL nice guitar! He got a good deal on it used, but in 100% great shape. Pretty pricey next to Gibson, but I wouldn't mind one either!

Thankyou jmg257; That is going to give me a lot to think about.......a lot.......hmmmmm.......[scared][confused][thumbup] [thumbup]

I won't say what they are now,

But in 2000 a $1200 Fender would have have a cost of $800-$1000 depending on features.

A Les Paul Standard of $2000 or so would have a cost of $1200-$1400 depending on features AA top AAA top.

A custom at $3200 would have a cost of $1600-$1800.

The only problem with Guitar Center, is that they were bought out in 2006 or so and took away the right for the employee to lower prices.

Some companies get more or less on cost but also don't want a bigger markup.

Fender has a fairly low markup, Gibson's is considerable. Which is why I don't understand why the prices are going up like they have been.

SG's are the same price they were 10 years ago.

If there wasn no Henry there be no gibson.

There is no question that Henry saved Gibson in the mid 80s, but it seems the direction he is heading Gibson seems out there. $5000 for this Firebird X? He is certainly not thinking on having the average gibson consumer having their hands on one of these guitars.

There is no question that Henry saved Gibson in the mid 80s, but it seems the direction he is heading Gibson seems out there. $5000 for this Firebird X? He is certainly not thinking on having the average Gibson consumer having their hands on one of these guitars.

But we still have the other Gibson guitars, theres not point complaining about the WHOLE company.

But we still have the other Gibson guitars, theres not point complaining about the WHOLE company.

+1 young grasshopper

I think this is quite possibly the smartest thing you've posted.

Innovation and change bring in new customer base, the old reliables keep them.

we may not like what Gibson is doing, But we sure like what they have done,

so remember kids

1 If You Don't Like It don't buy it.

2 This is a company that has helped shape music as we know it today.

And I can guarantee you that any guitar player worth his or her salt, just don't play Gibsons.

I've purchased 5 new Gibson instruments in the last two years, and all have been great...

Please explain.

Especially since you bought 5.

Do you mean any player worth his or her salt doesn't ONLY play Gibsons?

The only problem with Guitar Center, is that they were bought out in 2006 or so and took away the right for the employee to lower prices.

Really? I picked up this standard for 399 bucks cheaper than its sticker price at GC last April. And I only dealt with a sales person.

Also the reason there aren't more solid colors would probably have to do with most customers wanting some of the grain to shine through. Most of us don't want colors that look like they belong on a child's toy.

I'm going to close this down until the Admin can look at it, since it concerns internal pricing. Maybe it's not a big deal, but I'm not so sure Gibson wants this out in the open

1 more post.....Buy used if you don't like where they are going. Haha..I got it in

What is happening to Gibson? This is what Henry is doing to Gibson. He is no Steve Jobs, that is for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyWlF6tWig

Remember the Hendrix Gibson Strat just last year? Henry is sinking Gibson IMHO.

I have no idea what this is supposed to be: One guitar that does it all? All effects plus a loop station in

one a guitar? A Line 6 (God do I hate these!)in a guitar?

I'm lost.

I love the tone of my ES335, my LP Standard, my Stratocasters and my Firebird V.

They all please me with their own unique character and sound.

And I do use pedals (sparingly).

I would never want all in one. I love the different feel and respone of the instruments I am blessed with

to own.

And: this thing could not do what my Rickenbacker 360/12 can do.

I gues they missed that.

What is Henry doing? I guess only he knows. He better. But that is his problem and business.

I stick to what I have.

And I'm happy.

Rock on dudes!

I have no idea what this is supposed to be: One guitar that does it all? All effects plus a loop station in

one a guitar? A Line 6 (God do I hate these!)in a guitar?

I'm lost.

I love the tone of my ES335, my LP Standard, my Stratocasters and my Firebird V.

They all please me with their own unique character and sound.

And I do use pedals (sparingly).

I would never want all in one. I love the different feel and respone of the instruments I am blessed with

to own.

And: this thing could not do what my Rickenbacker 360/12 can do.

I gues they missed that.

What is Henry doing? I guess only he knows. He better. But that is his problem and business.

I stick to what I have.

And I'm happy.

Rock on dudes!

Good for you?

I forgot your all the guitar players in the world into one body.

This is probably one of the most absurd things I've read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

So it's not "cool" to worry about "finish flaws" or "QC issues"?

Do you follow this line of reasoning when buying a car or anything else for that matter? Of course not.

Now I know Gibson is in trouble when the only argument left is that it's just not "cool" to worry about quality.

BTW: The Marketing slogan at Gibson is "Prestige, Quality and Innovation".

[lol]

AMEN!

Mojo I was attached to the Embassy in Santiago years back ('87/'88) and I loved the Casa de El Diablo (I think thats spelled correctly) cabs, very good wine. I'll have to say I was rather fond of the Chilean ladies as well. [wink]

I used to buy the "Castillo del Diablo" wine for three bucks a bottle. It scored a couple of good ratings on Wine Spectator and Wine Advocate, and now it goes for about $10 a bottle. The Montez Alpha wines were top notch at $15 a pop (now $22), and my favorite Chilean weekend wine, the Don Melchor went for about $25. The Melchor got a few 95 point ratings (on par with first growth Bordeaux quality wise), and now its probably close to $80-100 a bottle. I still have a few 2003s and 2005 in the cellar, but once it hit $50 a pop, I had to pass. If you find a good, cheap Chilean wine, your better off not telling anyone. Once the Spectator gives it a couple 90+ point ratings, all the rich people that turned their noses up at it when it was cheap flock to stores and drive the price up. Purple Angel is another one I enjoyed at $20, now over a bill.

I used to buy the "Castillo del Diablo" wine for three bucks a bottle. It scored a couple of good ratings on Wine Spectator and Wine Advocate, and now it goes for about $10 a bottle. The Montez Alpha wines were top notch at $15 a pop (now $22), and my favorite Chilean weekend wine, the Don Melchor went for about $25. The Melchor got a few 95 point ratings (on par with first growth Bordeaux quality wise), and now its probably close to $80-100 a bottle. I still have a few 2003s and 2005 in the cellar, but once it hit $50 a pop, I had to pass. If you find a good, cheap Chilean wine, your better off not telling anyone. Once the Spectator gives it a couple 90+ point ratings, all the rich people that turned their noses up at it when it was cheap flock to stores and drive the price up. Purple Angel is another one I enjoyed at $20, now over a bill.

Yeah, I'm quite fond of the Concha y Torro wines.

Thats it, spelled correctly! Thanks!

When I came back to the states from there I brought a few cases of that wine back.

Thats a lovely place and such wonderful people. I miss my time there.

Social security is an entitlement, the bill of rights are entitlements, free speech is an entitlement, owning and being able to afford an awesome expensive Gibson Les Paul is NOT an entitlement, it is a choice and a privilage to own one...Period...

( I want more Gibbies, and I don't whine about it, too much)..

Archived