Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Les Paul reissue

Gibbygibson

My only gripe is the trendy VOS finishes, tough to find a new one finished in gloss as God intended . . .

Is a plain top cool with you, or do you want some fancy Maple figuring?

What do you play now?

(To get an idea of the neck profile you're used to.)

They're all great guitars, you gotta decide what flavor you like.

Even as a big guy, I prefer the slim neck - I have 8 of 'em.

[thumbup]

When I tried the classic LP with a 60's neck in comparison to 50s style necks it was an instant no brainer (for me). 60's slim is perfect - for me. You'll have to try them out to see if it is for you. I just remember the first second playing it, I said "Wow, OK, I'll take it". Plus, I was born in 1960 so I really want one.

I have the 1960 re-issue and chose it specifically for the slim tapered neck.

It's a comfort thing. The R9 seems to be the more popular but in my hand the R0 is it. I absolutely love it. What's not to like? Highest quality everything in my opinion. A dream to play and hear.

The re-issues carry a hefty pricetag though.

Try a few (like everyone else says) and see what is most comfortable to you.

Happy hunting.

Dave

Does anyone have any opinions on the Les Paul reissues, specifically the 1960 vs. the 1958 or 1959? Is the slim neck of the 1960 reissue more desirable? Are these guitars worth the money, or can I get a great classic sounding and playing Les Paul for a lot less?

As many have said, you've got to figure out what neck profile YOU prefer. Hopefully you have some shops you can visit and try out the different neck profiles.

As far as the money, you can find the RI's used sometimes at much better than retail prices.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Has anyone mentioned that you have to try them out for yourself.........lol!

Necks are hand-finished therefore two supposedly identical instruments can have very different feeling necks. This is why it's better to try them out for yourself.

I have two 1960 Classics and two re-issues - an R9 and an R0.

The earliest 'Classic' has the thinnest neck of any Gibson I've played. The second Classic has a slightly thicker neck and is, for me, the most comfortable size. The R0 is almost identical and the R9 is much chunkier.

Even though the difference on paper appears quiute small - the thinnest is between 1/8" and 1/6" different from the thickest - the feel is very, very different indeed. This is more to do with the profile of the neck. Whereas the Classics and the R0 have 'C' profile necks the R9 has a 'D' profile and this extra 'shoulder' makes the neck-thickness difference seem greater than it actually is.

It goes without saying Classics come much cheaper than re-issues. The early ones are very well made indeed.

P.

Archived