Gibson Brands Forums

Boss Sale / Launch Party at L&M tomorrow

Artie Owl

Howdy all,

I've been busy with my new position at work, so I haven't been posting much (not like it matters :P) but I got an email from Long and McQuade about a Boss sale and launch party tomorrow. I plan on going early because I have plans for the rest of the day, and I want to get the most out of the short amount of time that I'll have. So I'll ask you, the audience;

What products do I need to try out?

I already have a Boss OS-2 pedal, and I'd be interested in getting something for sustain, or chrous, or reverb possibly.

Anyway if I'm missing on a particular thing let me know, I just want to know what I should definately try and what I could skip.

And yes, I know there are some anti-Boss people here, but that's what the sale is tomorrow.

Digital Delay, Equalizer, Flanger, Chorus, Tuner, Metal, Compressor / Sustainer.

But you must check out the Acoustic Simulator, especially if you don't have an electric acoustic. A push of the button changes my Les Paul to a very nice sounding Acoustic Guitar. Usually switch to the middle pick-up position for fuller tone.

I have the CE 5 chorus pedal. It's hugely configurable and has a good sound to it. I also have the CS-3 Compression/Sustain pedal. I'd say it's the most difficult to dial in and for me, the least noticeable.

Other Boss pedals I'd be sure to look at:

DD-7 delay. LOVE the analogue setting.

Fender Bassman. Nice modeling pedal, good tones.

Fender '63 Reverb. Only if you're into that early guitar groove. Think early Stones.

I have the Metal Zone, too, but I got it for a specific set of heavy-riff guitar sounds, and it does those flawlessly, BUT... it is Very High Gain... so be aware. Having said that, if I crank it waaaay back, I can get a really mellow overdriven kind of sound, too.

/shrug

If I were going, I'd look at that new stack modeler CB was talking about. I'd love to hear a review on it. I didn't think I'd be a fan of modeling pedals, but the family got me the '63 reverb pedal for my birthday one year and I was fairly impressed.

Digital Delay, Equalizer, Flanger, Chorus, Tuner, Metal, Compressor / Sustainer.

But you must check out the Acoustic Simulator, especially if you don't have an electric acoustic. A push of the button changes my Les Paul to a very nice sounding Acoustic Guitar. Usually switch to the middle pick-up position for fuller tone.

It doesn't beat the real thing, but my acoustic simulator sounds very real with a coil tap.

Ok, so I went down, bright and early like the email said, and got in and talked to the rep, asked about this Boss day thing, and he had no idea what I was talking about. Turns out the promotional day is NEXT Saturday, but at least now they know (they had no idea before hand apparently).

Anyway I didn't waste the opportunity, I asked to try the Power Stack, but there were none in stock, so I asked to try the CE-5 Chorus and it worked great, it had nice dial in features for the high and low ends and it's in my price range. I'm still going to wait until I know for sure what the sale deal is next week before I commit though. Maybe they'll have a Power Stack in by that point ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Boss day was pretty cool.

I went down and met Dan, the Roland/Boss rep, and he had a few things to display. He showed off a "Harmonist" pedal that allows for crazy effects, like the "race car" sound, it had lots of cool features but it didn't do what I wanted so I moved on.

Dan also showed us the Roland "eBand" kit, which retails for about $420. It was AWESOME. You can use it as a stand alone, play guitar through it as if it was an amp (The whole kit was the size of a CD player alarm clock), it has hundreds of preset sounds divided into categories (Blues, funk, jazz, rock etc), and every control imaginable.

You could jam along with 300 pre installed MP3's, or use your own on a USB flash drive. You could slow down the song without affecting pitch to really learn those fast parts. You can create infinite 40 second loops, record, and even mute out specific parts of tracks. Like if you don't want the lead guitar in a peice, you could turn it down and leave the harmony, bass and drums, or if you didn't want vocals, or harmony or drums or whatever the filter on the eBand turns it down.

It is perfect for someone who doesn't get to play with people often or for artists who have to collaborate from a distance at times, they can record their own stuff and share it with the other guys and gals on their own eBand set ups. If I had the 420$ to drop on it I would have bought it on the spot.

Instead I picked up the CE-5 Chorus pedal which paired with my OS-2 pedal and my Blues Jr. amp I get lots of awesome rounded out sounds. Not to mention since it's Boss day I got a sale on a boss pedal case that included L-cables to connect the pedals together and an AC splitter to Daisy Chain pedals into one AC plug. Also, since it was Boss day I got the AC adapter ($40 value) free!

It was a win.

This is the case (stock photo, not my pedals)

Boss%20BCB-30.jpg

The pedal;

CE-5.jpg

Well, yeah I imagine they'd fail over time, they're plastic and designed to be removed so you can use the pedals without having the unit hanging half open. I'll be careful with it though, thanks Chanman. I bought it primairly because it came with all the cables for almost the same price as buying one 1ft cable to link my two pedals together.

I can't wait to really give it a try, I've tinkered with it when I brought it home on the weekend, but I want to do some reading on how to really dial it into sounds I want for quick access later.

Archived