Gibson Brands Forums

Now I know who Buckethead is

heymisterk

On my "To-do" list for the last couple of years was to check out a guy who always gets mentioned on here. His name is Buckethead. Call it blissful ignorance, but he doesn't play music that I normally listen to.

I read about him on Wikipedia, then watched some clips on YouTube.

I don't like him. Honestly, I kind of like his persona - the toy trading bit gives me a bizarre chuckle, as do some of his other strange antics.

But as a player, he is one of so many guitarists who will play 300 notes when about five would sound much better. The guy is clearly talented, but his sound and style doesn't move me much.

Zzzzz...

But as a player, he is one of so many guitarists who will play 300 notes when about five would sound much better.

How many of his 100 albums of different styles did you check out? Well based on this line, you obviously haven't checked out the right albums. He's got plenty of 5 note albums. But I will leave it at that. ](*,)

On my "To-do" list for the last couple of years was to check out a guy who always gets mentioned on here. His name is Buckethead. Call it blissful ignorance, but he doesn't play music that I normally listen to.

I read about him on Wikipedia, then watched some clips on YouTube.

I don't like him. Honestly, I kind of like his persona - the toy trading bit gives me a bizarre chuckle, as do some of his other strange antics.

But as a player, he is one of so many guitarists who will play 300 notes when about five would sound much better. The guy is clearly talented, but his sound and style doesn't move me much.

Zzzzz...

will.pngWho cares?

Well, he is an interesting, ah, um, ah, hmmmm, ah, he is an, hmmmm.....He's good at marketing himself...He's a bit like Michael Jackson in his weirdness, with the main difference being that little boys and girls don't have to be afraid of him and he doesn't give them'Jesus Juice' or VD.......I haven't heard enough of his music to offer an opinion of quality; so I won't......If his fans like him, then he is doing something right...

ShredAstare likes him a lot, and I value his opinion, so until I study the guy more, I'll zip it except for the following........humor, in jest..

Even a guitarist who was fired from KFC and stole a stack of buckets has a right to seek gainful employment......And I await the day when Buckethead does an album and tour with Popeyehead on bass, Wendyhead on vocals, Ronald McDonald on drums, and Subway's Jared on keyboards.......He can call it the " Five Piece and a Biscut " tour...

His persona is unique, and someday he'll outgrow it and show his real self. KISS did it, etc. It is a clever marketing ploy; and that takes smarts. He's also a busy musician who is successful, and that's nothing to throw chicken bones at.......I admire him for the work ethic he possesses, he is skilled; having said that, he's still not my cup of tea...

Everyone always gets so damn touchy and defensive when one member of this Forum doesn't express admiration and worship that they feel their "fave" deserves. Damn, I don't get it. If I saw a thread titled, "The Beatles Suck" or "Led Zeppelin Blows" then I would just not go into the thread and save myself the grief. Buckethead fans: Enjoy 'til your collective ears bleed, but don't knock someone who doesn't have the same opinion as you.

Everyone always gets so damn touchy and defensive when one member of this Forum doesn't express admiration and worship that they feel their "fave" deserves. Damn, I don't get it. If I saw a thread titled, "The Beatles Suck" or "Led Zeppelin Blows" then I would just not go into the thread and save myself the grief. Buckethead fans: Enjoy 'til your collective ears bleed, but don't knock someone who doesn't have the same opinion as you.

Whats the point in this thread? Does putting other guitar players down make you play better?

IMO, Buckethead's awesome!

Two words: Giant Robot.

Now that's a great album. I also Liked Monsters and Robots and Kaleidoscalp. Frankly, those three are the only full Buckethead albums I own, but I'm sure I'd like some of the others.

At the same time, I can definitely understand why someone would dislike his music. At times it can be inaccessible, self-indulgent, repetitive, meandering, dull, and/or deliberately strange. These are all qualities which, I will admit, definitely appear in some of his tracks. It seems to me like his music just requires a certain degree of patience at times. I will still defend, however, my belief that he's an incredibly skilled musician, composer, and arranger, who is capable of performing music in a wide variety of different styles. I mean, if you like his music you like his music, and if you don't you don't, and it's really that simple. Neither opinion is right or wrong.

IMO, Buckethead's awesome!

Two words: Giant Robot.

At the same time, I can definitely understand why someone would dislike his music. At times it can be inaccessible, self-indulgent, repetitive, meandering, dull, and/or deliberately strange. These are all qualities which, I will admit, definitely appear in some of his tracks. It seems to me like his music just requires a certain degree of patience at times. I will still defend, however, my belief that he's an incredibly skilled musician, composer, and arranger, who is capable of performing music in a wide variety of different styles. I mean, if you like his music you like his music, and if you don't you don't, and it's really that simple. Neither opinion is right or wrong.

[thumbup]

A Person doesn't have to like him. I have never been a fan of "shredding"

But the guy comes up with some crazy stuff.

If people on here are familiar with a punk band called "The Vandals" containing one Josh Freese, and a guitarist named Warren Fitzgerald?

Warren Fitzgerald is a professional guitarist, he has played with Oingo Boingo, but he can be goofier than hell but sometimes when he wants to play serious, he is amazing.

Buckethead is just one of those people.

I am not a Satriani fan, or a Steve Vai fan, because they are "yes" amazing, but they don't look like they goof around.

I think buckethead can do everything they do tenfold, but he knows how to have fun. And some of the stuff he plays is AMAZING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqkOBcp9RU

Did you hear any of his mellow stuff? Sounds like you're basing judgement on a couple of youtube clips.

Archived